Hodges Facing Suspension

Discussing things with the ref at half time is important, so you can ask about the way he's interpretting certain rules etc and get some clarification.

Hodges had better get off!

Those things are supposed to be discussed with the captain before the game. Not at half time just to get in his ear.
No on.

bianc said:
Refs have also got to earn the respect of players as well.

I agree with you 100%.

Not long ago, when Brisbane played against I think it was Parramatta or maybe a different team.
Some player elbowed a bronco defender I think it was Kemp to the head.

Kemp looked in a pretty bad way , he was laying flat out on the ground concussed which lead to a try, Parker and Hodges blew up at the ref and told the ref to take it to the video ref to look at a possible professional foul, but the ref took no notice and told the Broncos players " go away it's a try".

I am pretty sure the player that elbowed Kemp was placed on report after the conversion attempt.

Now how are the players suppose to respect the ref when this kind of shit happens?

I don't condone anything abusive to the refs, but sometimes refs need to pull their heads in too and treat the players with the same respect as players give to the ref.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it of course, but it seems common sense to me that if a captain, or the referee, is having a problem with how the game is going, having a chat at half time to work things out is probably the best time to do it.

eg, captain wanting to understand the referee's interpretation of ruck rules, resulting in lots of penalties, or the ref saying your players are moving too fast off the line, it's borderline, tidy it up.

I have absolutely no problem with that. It's happened in all the football sports I've played in - and refereed for that matter - and it usually results in a cleaner, less frustrating second half.

As a ref I have often gone to the captain and said "this player is doing such and such which is borderline, talk to him or he's going to cause you problems".

bianc said:
Those things are supposed to be discussed with the captain before the game. Not at half time just to get in his ear.
No on.
Every sport I've played you talk to umps/refs at half time to clarify a few things if you feel the need.

Yep. Oh, and also as a ref I often have a captain say "can you watch such and such the other team is doing"? Yes, that's gamesmanship, and my usual response is "I am watching, that's why I have the whistle". As long as you don't let yourself be influenced, it's not a problem.

I think it shows a lack of respect from you bianc that you think referees would be easily influenced by a half time chin wag.

I saw the Hodges stupidity on the sports again this morning. (think it was a slightly different angle to what I saw the first time)

I will be shocked if they find him not guilty.

God Hodges is a tard.

This thread bemuses me.

Firstly, the arguement people are trying to put forward IS NOT; "Hodges is a grub and needs to learn a lesson or at least pull his head in."

The arguement IS; "If Hodges is cited and found guilty; receives a week (2 because of his loading, but that is his fault, via previous poor conduct), then every other person who abuses a ref; including touching, pulling on ref's jerseys, screaming obscenities straight after being penalised, etc. should be getting cited as well."

It seems to me, most people here are allowing their personal opinions of Hodges recent behaviour, to cloud the matter at hand. What he did is unacceptable in junior league and Reserves. However, in the NRL, every other player is abusing the ref's and have been for some time. The timing of the NRL to suddenly find offence reeks.

Agreed Hammo. And I hope the Broncos show up tonight armed with footage of at least half a dozen incidents equal or worse than Hodges's as the defence.

Coxy said:
Yep. Oh, and also as a ref I often have a captain say "can you watch such and such the other team is doing"? Yes, that's gamesmanship, and my usual response is "I am watching, that's why I have the whistle". As long as you don't let yourself be influenced, it's not a problem.

I think it shows a lack of respect from you bianc that you think referees would be easily influenced by a half time chin wag.

Lack of respect Coxy? When the refs(I would by the way hate their job) show they can be unbias then I shall have respect and I may agree they cannot be influenced. As it stands now they are influenced by even the crowd.
Laughing and joking with players or even the capain at half time when walking off ,to me(my opinion) is just not on.

Coxy said:
Agreed Hammo. And I hope the Broncos show up tonight armed with footage of at least half a dozen incidents equal or worse than Hodges's as the defence.

Are they allowed to do that ?

I thought i heard on FoxSports that they aren't even allowed to talk about a similar case [eusa_eh

they can only use previous incedents as defence if the player was cited or charged.....

jarro65 said:
Coxy said:

Are they allowed to do that ?

I thought i heard on FoxSports that they aren't even allowed to talk about a similar case [eusa_eh
]
That would be ridiculous. Law is based on precedents, is it not?

nopatience101 said:
they can only use previous incedents as defence if the player was cited or charged.....

Well that's a load of fracking bullschmidt!

Oh well, there are cases of other similar offences. The Andrew Johns one referring to Matt Cecchin as an intercoursing vagina should just about do it. The Broncos could pretty easily argue that what Hodges did isn't in the same league as that.

Coxy said:
nopatience101 said:

Well that's a load of fracking bullschmidt!

Oh well, there are cases of other similar offences. The Andrew Johns one referring to Matt Cecchin as an intercoursing vagina should just about do it. The Broncos could pretty easily argue that what Hodges did isn't in the same league as that.

Didn't Johns get two weeks for that ??

Yes, and it's significantly worse than Hodges...so why should the penalty be the same?

I agree.

Look, the whole citing of this is just plain stupid !! Regardless of whether you're a Broncos fan or not. FFS it's about time the NRL started getting fair dinkum on the real issues that are wrong with the game instead of treading water fretting over trivial issues like this :evil:

Isn't the point that Johns, and e.g. Gallen - NSW players, who in Gallen's case, can grab the ref and not get cited, while Hodges - twit he may be, does something far less worse, and gets cited.

Why? He's not a NSW player.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.