Hodges out for most of Season! Link included

Just chatting with a friend (lucky bastard) who went along this morning as part of a sponsors morning to red hill and got to do a training session with some of the broncos.

It's their day off today, so not many of them were there, but Simms, Kemp, Hodges and Thaiday (and a few others he didn't recognise) were there doing extras.

Already said above, but word from Hodges and his physio as of this morning is that he is about 3 weeks away and apparently they both seemed quite confident with this timeframe. He played touch with everyone, but didn't really run much. Apparently it is the accelerating on it, that is the difficult bit of the injury.

thedman said:
Just chatting with a friend (lucky bastard) who went along this morning as part of a sponsors morning to red hill and got to do a training session with some of the broncos.

It's their day off today, so not many of them were there, but Simms, Kemp, Hodges and Thaiday (and a few others he didn't recognise) were there doing extras.

Already said above, but word from Hodges and his physio as of this morning is that he is about 3 weeks away and apparently they both seemed quite confident with this timeframe. He played touch with everyone, but didn't really run much. Apparently it is the accelerating on it, that is the difficult bit of the injury.

Thats good news icon_thumbs_u

thedman said:

The acceleration does make sense, but I would have thought that any of the other evasive skills needed in touch footy would be really tough also. If he’s able to do those, then it’s a very good sign indeed!

Foordy said:
jarro65 said:
draggx said:
a month? Sorry Hodges but if its a month just rest for the year and see ya in 2011.

Yep, i agree

i agree too... let him rest so we can unleash our devastating new center pairing of Hodges and Inglis in 2011

I wish i was as confident as you on getting inglis mate...

It showed Hodges last night on Sports tonight running around which was different footage to the one posted on the Broncos website. I doubt they'd be pushing him this hard unless he was going to play again this season. So it look's like he will be playing this season...

HE hasn't been seen on a football field for nearly nine months, but Justin Hodges is on the verge of his long-awaited comeback.

The Broncos ace completed the most promising session of his exhaustive rehabilitation from an achilles injury.

In a big boost to Brisbane's hopes of clinching a 19th consecutive playoffs berth, Hodges is on course to return before the finals if he can avoid aggravating the injury in coming weeks.

Hodges, who has not played since Australia's Four Nations defeat of England on November 15 last year, impressed coaching staff with his progress after a light hit-out at training last Sunday.

Broncos coach Ivan Henjak is yet to set a comeback date, but Hodges is hopeful of being cleared for Brisbane's round 24 clash against Newcastle on August 20.

Henjak, who last month feared Hodges was in danger of being ruled out for the season, said the strike centre's return would lift the spirits of a side that faces a season-defining clash against title favourites the Dragons this Sunday.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

* Defiant stand: Don't write us off, say Broncos

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"That's the best I've seen Justin run for a while," Henjak said. "Things are a bit more positive. He is still a while away but we're a lot more positive about where he is now than we were three weeks ago.

"We'll know more in the next three weeks. I don't think he will be back before then but we'll get a better indication.

"If he does come back it will be a massive boost for us, not just personnel wise, but confidence wise for everyone else in the team.

"They'll get a huge lift out of Justin coming back."

Despite barely being able to break into a trot in the past nine months, Hodges has maintained his playing weight and is hovering around the 95kg mark.

The Maroons sensation, who plans to begin running with more intensity in the next fortnight, said he wasn't mentally scarred by the injury.

"It was pretty hard mentally at the start, for it to happen when it did was a massive kick in the guts, but as a professional sportsman these are the things you have to go through sometimes," he said.

"Whenever you get a bad injury you have little doubts on whether you will be the same player. I've had a lot of time to think over the last six months, but I've come back from my shoulder and knee and I will do it again this time.

"Hopefully I come back soon. I was rushing it a bit early on but I'm aiming to be back before the finals."

Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer said the side was sweating on a Hodges comeback.

"We've all been seeing Hodgo regularly and we know he's been frustrated with it, but he's not far away now," he said.

"He's doing everything right, so hopefully for his sake and the Broncos' sake he will be back on the field soon.

"It will take him a few weeks to find his feet."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5898175175

PETERN said:
It showed Hodges last night on Sports tonight running around which was different footage to the one posted on the Broncos website. I doubt they'd be pushing him this hard unless he was going to play again this season. So it look's like he will be playing this season...
Any links or anything?

Awesome news(article above).
Henjack is right, the great one returning to the field will provide a boost to the entire team and if the greater one says the great ones return is good for the Broncos sake then he is right.

Round 24 uh... Please just wait till next year.

Nope, i'm still for getting him into the side as long as he's not going to injure himself.

broncospwn said:
PETERN said:
Any links or anything?

Awesome news(article above).
Henjack is right, the great one returning to the field will provide a boost to the entire team and if the greater one says the great ones return is good for the Broncos sake then he is right.

No link man, was on Channel 10's Late Sports Tonight on Tuesday night.

Hodges may return before finals
The Brisbane Broncos remain hopeful Test centre Justin Hodges will make his comeback from an achilles tendon injury before the NRL finals.

Hodges has been sidelined for nine months but ran freely at training today and has made rapid progress in the past fortnight.

Coach Ivan Henjak says Hodges will not play against the Cowboys on Friday night, but he hopes to see him back in the team soon.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/05/2974445.htm?site=sport&section=rugbyleague

Looks sooner rather than later. [icon_pray.

Word is there is a big push to have Hodges play elsewhere next year. The source is the usual bullshit source, you know friend of a friend, however according to the fella the board want him gone asap. Naturally and in the way of these things nothing was put forward to me that substantiates it. What it is though is that it's something very possible from a business point of view. I myself like Hodges play, if not some of his antics over the years. Hope it is untrue but it would not surprise in the least as it is viewed as a business these days.

Huge. said:
Word is there is a big push to have Hodges play elsewhere next year. The source is the usual bullshit source, you know friend of a friend, however according to the fella the board want him gone asap. Naturally and in the way of these things nothing was put forward to me that substantiates it. What it is though is that it's something very possible from a business point of view. I myself like Hodges play, if not some of his antics over the years. Hope it is untrue but it would not surprise in the least as it is viewed as a business these days.
There is no way the board would want to push Hodges out, he is easily in our top 5 players, arguably our second best player before he got injured and is massive for the team when he plays. Individually he's not as good as Folau but as a team player he offers more, just look a how everyone who plays outside Hodges looks like a world beater. Health permitting, he will be our best centre next year as well and one of our best again.

After his contract finishes, sure maybe I can accept that but pushing Hodges out in the off-season would be incredibly stupid but I wouldn't put it past our management.

broncospwn said:
Huge. said:
There is no way the board would want to push Hodges out, he is easily in our top 5 players, arguably our second best player before he got injured and is massive for the team when he plays. Individually he's not as good as Folau but as a team player he offers more, just look a how everyone who plays outside Hodges looks like a world beater. Health permitting, he will be our best centre next year as well and one of our best again.

After his contract finishes, sure maybe I can accept that but pushing Hodges out in the off-season would be incredibly stupid but I wouldn't put it past our management.

As much as i don't want him gone, it'd be seen as a smart decision to let him go considering all the injuries and suspensions his had over the last couple of years, so i wouldn't put it past them. If he is willing to take a pay cut they should extend his contract.

No way he should go before his contract finishes. If he leaves next year we are not going to replace him NEXT year with anyone worth it so we should keep him. After that I agree, reduced contract or cya later, he doesn't deserve to be one of our highest paid when he misses so many games.

if we let him go who knows, we might have had folau and inglis in our centres next year :(. guess we'll never know.

i know i would MUCH prefer that to inglis/hodges. both are individually better than hodges at creating breaks themselves, and folau is a try scoring machine. both also play more than 5 games a season.

We would never have got Inglis and Folau in the same backline. Izzy was never going to say no to the big money on offer at GWS.

Anonymous person said:
if we let him go who knows, we might have had folau and inglis in our centres next year :(. guess we'll never know.

i know i would MUCH prefer that to inglis/hodges. both are individually better than hodges at creating breaks themselves, and folau is a try scoring machine. both also play more than 5 games a season.

Not a hope in hell we could've afforded both of them. We'd have had to release Hodges and Wallace....hmmm.... [eusa_doh

Unread

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncorob
  • blacknwhite
  • Bucking Beads
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.