"Hoffy isn't the guy for Fullback" - Hodges

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I've just about had enough of this.

Offer Hoffman to Canberra in exchange for Milford and be done with it.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Hodges basically just said if Hoffman wants the fullback job he needs to improve his passing game. Reporters may have just taken a liberty with the rest.
If Hoffman cannot see this then his manager should point it out to him. Honestly if he cannot see it, release him

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Ben Barba hopeful Josh Hoffman will stay with Brisbane Broncos | News.com.au

BEN Barba says he wants Josh Hoffman to stay at the Broncos and admits he'll feel some guilt if he is forced out of the club.

Barba will join the Broncos from Canterbury-Bankstown having been granted a release from his contract after a torrid time with the Bulldogs after winning the Dally M in 2012.
The Courier-Mail revealed on Friday that New Zealand Test fullback Hoffman wants out of the club, a decision Barba hopes is not as a result of him coming in on a three-year-deal.
"I grew up with Josh Hoffman," Barba told foxsports.com.au on Friday.
"Half the reason why I came here is because he was here. It would be disappointing if me being here forced him to leave. No one has been given any position just as yet so who knows, hopefully he’ll stay and we can work something out."
Barba is hopeful Hoffman will stay with the Broncos regardless of whether he secures Hoffman’s desired position of fullback and stressed that no spot in the squad has been decided yet.
"I came up here as a chance to follow my family and I was lucky enough Brisbane were able to fit me under the salary cap," said Barba.
"I am willing to play anywhere and wherever the coach wants me to play, whether its fullback or back in the halves. Wherever I fit in, I am happy to play there. I hope me coming here isn’t going to force anyone out of their position."
While Hoffman is in England preparing for the Kiwis' title defence of the Rugby League World Cup, Barba said he would be happy to tell Hoffman his view.
"If that will make him stay I might have a word to him," Barba said.
Having arrived in Brisbane three weeks ago, the 24-year-old has begun walking after recovering from post-season ankle surgery.
While his start to the pre-season will be a slow one, Barba has set his sights on being fit to take part in the Auckland Nines tournament on February 15.
"I won’t run til Christmas because I only started walking last week," he said.
"By Christmas I should be up and running fine... hopefully I should be sweet for the nines."
While Barba is yet to settle into a house, he says is enjoying his time up north and the change in lifestyle.
After coming off the back of what was a controversial year for the superstar, his primary focus is on returning to the form which struck fear into the eyes of every player in the NRL.
"It's to have a good pre-season and really work this ankle and get it right so I can get picked for round one and find some form again," he said of his priorities for 2014.
"After the season I had last year and what the Broncos have done for me the least that I can do is find some form early."
According to Barba, the key to finding his form is as simple as re-discovering enjoyment in the game he loves so much.
"Enjoying everything that comes with footy I guess – enjoying coming to training, the new friends I make at the Broncos and everything in rugby league," he said.
"...I have always said I can take my game to another level and hopefully I can start to work on that here in Brisbane."

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Ben Barba hopeful Josh Hoffman will stay with Brisbane Broncos | News.com.au

BEN Barba says he wants Josh Hoffman to stay at the Broncos and admits he'll feel some guilt if he is forced out of the club.

Barba will join the Broncos from Canterbury-Bankstown having been granted a release from his contract after a torrid time with the Bulldogs after winning the Dally M in 2012.
The Courier-Mail revealed on Friday that New Zealand Test fullback Hoffman wants out of the club, a decision Barba hopes is not as a result of him coming in on a three-year-deal.
"I grew up with Josh Hoffman," Barba told foxsports.com.au on Friday.
"Half the reason why I came here is because he was here. It would be disappointing if me being here forced him to leave. No one has been given any position just as yet so who knows, hopefully he’ll stay and we can work something out."
Barba is hopeful Hoffman will stay with the Broncos regardless of whether he secures Hoffman’s desired position of fullback and stressed that no spot in the squad has been decided yet.
"I came up here as a chance to follow my family and I was lucky enough Brisbane were able to fit me under the salary cap," said Barba.
"I am willing to play anywhere and wherever the coach wants me to play, whether its fullback or back in the halves. Wherever I fit in, I am happy to play there. I hope me coming here isn’t going to force anyone out of their position."
While Hoffman is in England preparing for the Kiwis' title defence of the Rugby League World Cup, Barba said he would be happy to tell Hoffman his view.
"If that will make him stay I might have a word to him," Barba said.
Having arrived in Brisbane three weeks ago, the 24-year-old has begun walking after recovering from post-season ankle surgery.
While his start to the pre-season will be a slow one, Barba has set his sights on being fit to take part in the Auckland Nines tournament on February 15.
"I won’t run til Christmas because I only started walking last week," he said.
"By Christmas I should be up and running fine... hopefully I should be sweet for the nines."
While Barba is yet to settle into a house, he says is enjoying his time up north and the change in lifestyle.
After coming off the back of what was a controversial year for the superstar, his primary focus is on returning to the form which struck fear into the eyes of every player in the NRL.
"It's to have a good pre-season and really work this ankle and get it right so I can get picked for round one and find some form again," he said of his priorities for 2014.
"After the season I had last year and what the Broncos have done for me the least that I can do is find some form early."
According to Barba, the key to finding his form is as simple as re-discovering enjoyment in the game he loves so much.
"Enjoying everything that comes with footy I guess – enjoying coming to training, the new friends I make at the Broncos and everything in rugby league," he said.
"...I have always said I can take my game to another level and hopefully I can start to work on that here in Brisbane."

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
So will you guys stop the moral outrage at other clubs not releasing players still under contract?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
So will you guys stop the moral outrage at other clubs not releasing players still under contract?

So your comparing a son concerned about his father's health to a player and a clause that a club agreed to, with a player having a hissy fit about not playing fullback and the contract he has with the club not having a clause allowing him to leave?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

I still don't think Hoffman is unhappy at the Broncos but I also think wanting to come home to be with your family or to be with your sick father is a little bit more important than wanting to play fullback.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
I thought everyone had come to the realisation the issue wasnt about his sick dad who is better than expected to be at this point when he originally re-signed, my mistake.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Look that's your perspective Bushman, doesn't make it less or more true mate, your entitled to it. Taking a step back here if the Broncos had a similar situation with Milford in a contract relating to family/personal reasons then I would expect them if warranted to do the same as I expect of Canberra if they didn't then they are fair game to being called hypocrites, Barba's is more iffy for me and personally I would have not had a problem with the Bulldogs refusing to, they did let him go, that was their choice.

I didn't and would never expect the Raiders or any other club to just let a player go over a hissy fit in playing a position they don't prefer for their team, I just don't think you can compare apples with oranges mate.

Last edited:
coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
So Hoffman and gee have both stated numerous times that Hoffman is happy and wants to say. Hoffmans management has said that they have fielded offers from rival clubs now we are hypocrits for not releasing him. Sounds about right. You are correct his health has improved since the contract. The thing that changed was that for whatever reason the plan to relocate his family failed. I would assume he is scared of his father dying and wants to spend as much time as possible with him as he can. Yes the clause mightn't be relevant but the compassionate thing would be to grant a release especially considering the way you got you coach.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
You can push your agenda bushie but if Hoffman actually came out and said he wanted to leave I would expect the broncos to release him.

I'm surprised you haven't popped up in the thread discussing you CEOs latest nonsensical ramblings... Well actually I'm not surprised lol

Last edited:
CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I agree with Hodgo's comment regarding Hoffman. I wouldn't limit it to just his passing game. His speed, positional play, kick returns and support play all need major work if he wants to match it with the top tier fullbacks. Honestly, I would rather give Maranta a shot at fullback before Hoffman. They are similar players and Maranta doesn't seem to take as long to recover from his kick returns (it seems Hoffman is constantly looking winded and struggling to get up - really gets the set off to a bad start).

Ben Barba has to be the first choice for No 1. We need to get back to picking the best players for every position. Why sign him otherwise?

The tragic thing would be if Hoffman does leave, I can imagine someone like Hasler or Cleary working with him to improve aspects of his game and he could become a genuine threat at the back. Griffin hasn't proven yet he can improve players - most of the squad have gone backwards since 2011.

Until I see a quote from Hoffman directly, I'm just going with 'it's a beat up.' There'll be plenty of them this off season.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
You can push your agenda bushie but if Hoffman actually came out and said he wanted to leave I would expect the broncos to release him.

I'm surprised you haven't popped up in the thread discussing you CEOs latest nonsensical ramblings... Well actually I'm not surprised lol
Oh haven't seen that thread yet, ill pop in when I've got time.

Hoff could ask for a release and be refused like Wallace and his manager claim he was, clubs will generally look after number 1, can't blame em.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Let me get my bearings. Is it the case that Hoffman wants to play FB or 5/8? There seems to be evidence for both. There also seems to be a lot of evidence he is not the right person (yet) for either.

In my view, if Hoffman wants a release, give it to him. The last thing we need is a disgruntled player. They never give their all

Last edited:
Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Let me get my bearings. Is it the case that Hoffman wants to play FB or 5/8? There seems to be evidence for both. There also seems to be a lot of evidence he is not the right person (yet) for either.

In my view, if Hoffman wants a release, give it to him. The last thing we need is a disgruntled player. They never give their all

Especially when said player has admitted in the past to not giving his all. **** him off.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Aldo
  • davidp
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Morkel
  • mitch222
  • winslow_wong
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • broncos4life
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Harry Sack
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.