"Hoffy isn't the guy for Fullback" - Hodges

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
We need desperately to build a football team. This is NRL, not a massage parlour for egos.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
My issue with Hoffman, is that everything he does well at fullback, he can do the exact same thing from the wing. He's good at running lines, he runs hard and his kick returns are good..but he has no ball-playing and rarely runs in support (I don't recall ever seeing him anywhere near Parker with any of his offloads at fullback).

quality point. I seriously think, that Hoffman's disdain for the wing is born out of last year's horrible stint of having to watch Norman (who didn't want to play fullback at all) steal his position and spit the dummy. I feel for both players last year, as they were both victims of unfortunate timing and reshuffling that caused a great amount of hurt to the team and our premiership campaign.

I honestly think Hoffman will come around once he realises he can still play fullback from the wing and maybe even get more out of it than he thinks he will. So excited!

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
No worries. Buy and large, you are correct

Why is he correct ??

You go on later to say how we need to give our NYC halves a go.

You're all over the shop!

Brisbane aren't buying a team. We're simply welcoming QLDr's back home after they have had enough of the life style in shitholes like Canberra and Sydney.

Barba approached us .......Milford like wise.....I'm hearing Kennedy and Vidot as well, they all approached us.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Why is he correct ??

Brisbane aren't buying a team. We're simply welcoming QLDr's back home after they have had enough of the life style in ****holes like Canberra and Sydney.

Barba approached us .......Milford like wise.....I'm hearing Kennedy and Vidot as well, they all approached us.

Signing players from other clubs and offering them contracts to play at another club is buying and being active on the NRL market. Every club does it in a bid to be successful using any means necessary.

I think you're hatred of anything south of Queensland is a bit over the top. You obviously haven't visited the rough areas of the North of England and Ireland.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Simple solution to all this, lets setup a petition to get the NRL to change the official position name of winger to fullback, thus Hoffman gets to play fullback and everyone is happy.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Simple solution to all this, lets setup a petition to get the NRL to change the official position name of winger to fullback, thus Hoffman gets to play fullback and everyone is happy.

So what will fullback be called? What's more than one full full? Seeing as everyone wants them to have playmaking abilities, maybe full-back-and-a-half?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
So what will fullback be called? What's more than one full full? Seeing as everyone wants them to have playmaking abilities, maybe full-back-and-a-half?

Centre fullback? LOL I dunno.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Why is he correct ??

Brisbane aren't buying a team. We're simply welcoming QLDr's back home after they have had enough of the life style in ****holes like Canberra and Sydney.

I really don't know who approached who, and I think BMan addressed the commercial realities of market driven sport like NRL very well.

So I guess everyone recruiting players is as you say, all over the shop.

My point is that I would be sad not to have the pleasure of seeing players like Strasser/Taylor/Cullen develop and have opportunities, because we bought Milford, if indeed that will happen.

BTW, out of interest, did Milford actually approach the Broncos himself, saying I want to play for you guys, or was it Ayoub shopping around for the best deal for his meal ticket?

In any case, if Milford really wanted to come back home, he would be home. Right now. In Brisbane. Living here.

Is he?

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
BTW, out of interest, did Milford actually approach the Broncos himself, saying I want to play for you guys, or was it Ayoub shopping around for the best deal for his meal ticket?

In any case, if Milford really wanted to come back home, he would be home. Right now. In Brisbane. Living here.

Is he?

We'll never know tbh.

There are possibly a lot of factors at work here which have been covered by people before. Regarding cost of living etc and him being unable to sit out a year because of that.

IMO, if he wants to come to Brisbane, he/we will announce on November 1 that he is signing for the Broncos in 2015. If he does that, he's all in with us. If he doesn't, it isn't all about his family and at least partially about the money.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I think you're hatred of anything south of Queensland is a bit over the top. You obviously haven't visited the rough areas of the North of England and Ireland.

and what does that have to do with the price of eggs?

Whether or not areas of the UK are shit holes still doesn't deter from the fact that Sydney is a shit hole.

You can't blame some of these QLD'rs wanting to come home.......

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I really don't know who approached who, and I think BMan addressed the commercial realities of market driven sport like NRL very well.

So I guess everyone recruiting players is as you say, all over the shop.

My point is that I would be sad not to have the pleasure of seeing players like Strasser/Taylor/Cullen develop and have opportunities, because we bought Milford, if indeed that will happen.

Is he?

Right now I think he's in the UK....... playing in the World Cup.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Re: [RUMOUR] Anthony Milford to Broncos

As to Hoffy, it's not just nitwits that think so, Hodges does too, we do too and unlike lots of things, it's a pretty universal opinion on BHQ and amongst Broncos fans as well.
Just because NZ doesn't have better (yet, as RTS will oust him soon I think), it doesn't make him a top FB.
I'd loathe to loose him, but if he's going to throw a tantrum because although he can probably secure a starter's spot in a 3/4 position, but can't have the FB spot in a team that will have Ben Barba and most likely, Anthony Milford in its ranks... well he better get on his horse!

I'd still consider Hoffman a decent fullback, however two things work against him:

1) The Broncos need a ball-player as they're halves suck.
2) Barba is better in most areas.

Hoffman might be the NZ fullback, but if Barba was a NZ'er, would Hoffman still get the job?

Xavier

Xavier

NYC Player
Mar 24, 2013

I'd still consider Hoffman a decent fullback, however two things work against him:

1) The Broncos need a ball-player as they're halves suck.
2) Barba is better in most areas.

Hoffman might be the NZ fullback, but if Barba was a NZ'er, would Hoffman still get the job?

The hard truth is that Barba is a far more effective fullback. You look at how much more effective having Corey Norman was at fullback. & all he was doing was passing the ball out the back. All of a sudden we're putting 30+ points on the Storm.

Norman was terrible positionally and in defence, but we racked up a few good score lines. Hoffman just doesn't pass the ball. Ever. Even when the wingers are wide open.

Barba didn't play that many games this season, and still had 10 tries and more try assists than Hoffman.

I like Hoffman as a player, but we really struggled for points and creativity last season.

It's a bit different playing FB for NZ.
They have strike all over the park. Foran, Johnson, RTS, Luke and SBW is like having another playmaker.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013

You look at how much more effective having Corey Norman was at fullback. & all he was doing was passing the ball out the back. All of a sudden we're putting 30+ points on the Storm.

Norman was terrible positionally and in defence, but we racked up a few good score lines. Hoffman just doesn't pass the ball. Ever. Even when the wingers are wide open.

this is quite a different take on the season to mine ...

Norman looked better at fullback for a time and it was nice to see him moving the ball quickly .... but there was also an extended period where he really shit shit. There was a reason he got dropped to reserve grade. Norman could move the ball better than Hoffman but I thought Hoffman was effecitve in attack as a fullback too, just in a different way

once Hoffman (and Hunt) came in we actually looked a lot better. part of that comes down to Hunt >>>> Wallace but over the course of the season I don't think we were more effective with Norman than with Hoffman (we went 4-2-1 with Hoff). they both have obvious holes in their game, which is why Barba is a godsend.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
When people are comparing Hoffman's to Norman's merits as fullback, it is very telling that neither comes out a winner...

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
When people are comparing Hoffman's to Norman's merits as fullback, it is very telling that neither comes out a winner...

I think Hoffman comes out as the winner honestly, although it isn't a clear cut case. take out 2012 and Hoffman has always played very well at fullback.

but regardless of whether you think Hoffman or Norman are better, Barba is clearly better and you don't want to settle for anything less than the best.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • Morkel
  • mitch222
  • winslow_wong
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Howie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.