How should the club spend 800k?

Yeah dunno. I probably agree with @theshed that Te Maire is our best 1/6 option right now, but we have two players in Selwyn and Herbie who are clearly being earmarked to take his place, and that's not even mentioning Tesi. Out of those two, Herbie is the only one making noises that he wants the position and the way it's been presented to us almost seems like it's a condition. Selwyn, on the other hand, is the one we have to keep, and will need to spend big to retain. As in more than Kotoni. That money is better justified at fullback.

I would rather it all left alone for now, but I doubt this status quo will see out the end of next season, and probably won't start next season that way.

If Te Maire loses the back, then he's challenging Ezra for 6. If not early next season, then by the end of it. Ezra is the one with the long term contract, so it's a matter of when, not if, he gets 6. If I were Te Maire looking at this future, and factoring in the coach's son who is lurking on the bench, I'd be putting myself on the market.
TMM comes across as a guy who sees footy purely as a job. Not in a bad way because he rips in and seems to be a great locker room guy (Merrin rumours aside). But he’s made a few comments about not missing league when he stopped and loving being back in NZ. Basically came back because he tried a real job and hated it.

If I were him I would 100% have my manager speaking to the Warriors - who are desperate for a spine player with Taylor CHT and Nikorima all gone, Johnson stinking it up and Walsh seemingly as good as gone by the end of his current deal. He could probably get a pretty solid deal and get to move back home to NZ.

Unfortunate for us but logical for him.

If I were Te Maire looking at this future, and factoring in the coach's son who is lurking on the bench, I'd be putting myself on the market.

The coach's son who has already been dropped from the halves in favour first of Albert Kelly and then Tyson Gamble, and was not considered an option to replace Reynolds over Mam?

People seem really itchy to prove there's some overt nepotism at play in all of this, but I just don't think it's there. Plus I don't think Ikin or DD would allow it, even if it was. The Billy/Paix combo is working great at the moment, so there's no need to make a change for the foreseeable future. If a better option presents itself, I'm sure that Kevvie will make the hard call and send Billy back to Cup.

I see Arthars turned out for the Seagulls on the weekend. I wonder that means for the Warriors plans to retain him next year?
Maybe Arthars is also not keen to head back to NZ.

Warriors have their first game back at Mt Smart in a couple weeks time... I would assume that coincides with moving back to NZ... as I doubt living in Qld and flying back to NZ for home games is all that productive

Maybe Arthars is also not keen to head back to NZ.

Warriors have their first game back at Mt Smart in a couple weeks time... I would assume that coincides with moving back to NZ... as I doubt living in Qld and flying back to NZ for home games is all that productive
Given the state the club is in, Browny pull the ripcord, I would not mind betting we see a lot of players jettison that club in the next 12 months. It's in a horrible place, do not envy the players or the fans. Very dark times ahead for the warriors.

I don't buy the whole "can't move to NZ" nonsense. People know where they live and they sign-on to a contract knowing that the time in Australia is temporary. What I suspect it is, is more rats from a sinking ship.

Yeah dunno. I probably agree with @theshed that Te Maire is our best 1/6 option right now, but we have two players in Selwyn and Herbie who are clearly being earmarked to take his place, and that's not even mentioning Tesi. Out of those two, Herbie is the only one making noises that he wants the position and the way it's been presented to us almost seems like it's a condition. Selwyn, on the other hand, is the one we have to keep, and will need to spend big to retain. As in more than Kotoni. That money is better justified at fullback.

I would rather it all left alone for now, but I doubt this status quo will see out the end of next season, and probably won't start next season that way.

If Te Maire loses the back, then he's challenging Ezra for 6. If not early next season, then by the end of it. Ezra is the one with the long term contract, so it's a matter of when, not if, he gets 6. If I were Te Maire looking at this future, and factoring in the coach's son who is lurking on the bench, I'd be putting myself on the market.
I don't see Cobbo getting more money then Staggs at all, even if his contract gets close it will likely be in stages with the money being there at the end of the deal.

If or when there is a promise to play in FB then you could see the income being higher, but I just don't see it happening yet from what I've seen.

The most important thing that needs to be understood is how they play atm, jumping the gun on positions while we are playing fucking good just sounds rash, at the end of the day the players play for us not the other way around.

TMM comes across as a guy who sees footy purely as a job. Not in a bad way because he rips in and seems to be a great locker room guy (Merrin rumours aside). But he’s made a few comments about not missing league when he stopped and loving being back in NZ. Basically came back because he tried a real job and hated it.

If I were him I would 100% have my manager speaking to the Warriors - who are desperate for a spine player with Taylor CHT and Nikorima all gone, Johnson stinking it up and Walsh seemingly as good as gone by the end of his current deal. He could probably get a pretty solid deal and get to move back home to NZ.

Unfortunate for us but logical for him.
Yes, unfortunately I see us as a stepping stone back to the Warriors. Good fit for him, but a loss for us. I'd prefer Billy saw it that way and used his time with us to earn himself a fat contract in the ESL.

The coach's son who has already been dropped from the halves in favour first of Albert Kelly and then Tyson Gamble, and was not considered an option to replace Reynolds over Mam?

People seem really itchy to prove there's some overt nepotism at play in all of this, but I just don't think it's there. Plus I don't think Ikin or DD would allow it, even if it was. The Billy/Paix combo is working great at the moment, so there's no need to make a change for the foreseeable future. If a better option presents itself, I'm sure that Kevvie will make the hard call and send Billy back to Cup.

You might feel differently when the coach's son forces a better player than Jake Turpin out of the club. Billy is doing great right now, but he's only warming a seat. We need to spend more money in the spine, and we need the person we spend it on to be worth that money. A budget spine won't win us a premiership.

I don't see Cobbo getting more money then Staggs at all, even if his contract gets close it will likely be in stages with the money being there at the end of the deal.

If or when there is a promise to play in FB then you could see the income being higher, but I just don't see it happening yet from what I've seen.

The most important thing that needs to be understood is how they play atm, jumping the gun on positions while we are playing fucking good just sounds rash, at the end of the day the players play for us not the other way around.
Let's compare notes halfway through next season on what Cobbo's worth.

Cobbo will be worth more in sponsorships than Kotoni .
More kids will want to be like Selwyn Cobbo than Kotoni Staggs .
I wouldn't doubt that, but that is different from contract value that the club pays, as far as im aware Third party deals still have no cap in that regard.

I wouldn't doubt that, but that is different from contract value that the club pays, as far as im aware Third party deals still have no cap in that regard.
I can't remember the last player to attract the level of hype Selwyn has at the moment. Every Origin question over the last three weeks has centred around him. Kotoni had the front page there for about a week and then Selwyn blew him out of the water. Payne's getting more newsprint but it's of the wrong kind.

Let's compare notes halfway through next season on what Cobbo's worth.
That's not the same thing, because for all we know he could be playing in a different position that is worth more money.

But as it stands now as a winger the club wouldn't pay more for him then Staggs without atleast promises to play in another position and even then I think it would be a end loaded contract.

If I was Selwyn`s manager I would be lining up a deal with the jersey makers .
His jersey number is gonna very popular with kids . Seeing him this week doing media for Origin he has a bit of cheekiness lurking behind those smiles . He is growing into the job .

I can't remember the last player to attract the level of hype Selwyn has at the moment. Every Origin question over the last three weeks has centred around him. Kotoni had the front page there for about a week and then Selwyn blew him out of the water. Payne's getting more newsprint but it's of the wrong kind.

My son is a die hard Melbourne supporter .
He tells me he also watches the Broncos this season just to see Selwyn Cobbo in action .

Watch them put a cap on Third parties, having a player as popular as him in a team with the sponsorship reach of the Broncos will probably break the system.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Mister Wright
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.