Hunt officially to Union

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
It has been confirmed.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html

Brisbane Broncos star Karmichael Hunt will play rugby union next year because of his burning desire to experience a new culture overseas.

The 22-year-old fullback is set to venture to a rugby union club in England, France or Japan in 2010 with girlfriend Emma Harding.

God I hate that. I don't really know if I believe the whole 'new culture' reason, but I believe it more to do with money.

Looks like Slater will be the Qld fullback for quite a few years to come

I wouldn't say it's official yet- he stated he hasn't announced his decision

Good on him. He wants to get out of the fishbowl and go and see the world while he is young.
Tonie Carroll did this too, and Brad Thorn went and pursued his dreams and came back to us.

So many people in their early 20's go and see the world for a year or two....why should footy players be any different.

As long as he comes back to us I'm happy for him. If he comes back to any other club I'll be SPEWIN.

The thought of going overseas is appealing to me now that I am happily settled with Emma," Hunt said.

"The life experience overseas is definitely appealing. I've been at home all my life, I've been in Brisbane for half of it. We're a couple who like to experience different cultures and enjoy new experiences so going abroad would satisfy that hunger."

Breaking his silence on the reasons behind his imminent exit from Red Hill, which he will officially announce after Origin III, Hunt has quashed reports he is disillusioned in the NRL.

Might not be officially announced yet, but going by the article he is going.

Agree with mrslong - he's young, he can be just like other young Aussies who go and work overseas for a few years. Good on him and good luck to him. Yes we'll miss him, but that's life players come and go. I'm just happy we know what's going on now.

Yeah, still not "official" but as close as you can get. He's going, no doubt about it.

Agree with mrslong. Good luck to him, see the world and enjoy what's out there. I have no problem with that.

I wouldn't even mind if he came back and played for someone else. I would hope he'd come to the Broncos, but if the cards don't fall right and he can't, I'd just be happy to see him play league again.

I just hope for his sake he doesn't end up miserable in union.

Now we have some cash to by a good no 9 if any are on the market. Going to miss him though he's a top notch player. Any good 9's and 1's on the open market

We don't need 1s and 9s nearly as much as 8s and 10s! The next few weeks is going to be bloody tough without Kenny. We have no viable backups to Kenny and Clinton.

Agree with Coxy - we have some good young 1s and 9s that will develop nicely. We are in desperate need of front rowers - who don't develop as quickly as backs and 9s do, so we can't bank on the young ones we have in that department.

Canga said:
Now we have some cash to by a good no 9 if any are on the market. Going to miss him though he's a top notch player. Any good 9's and 1's on the open market

No need for any 1's all 9's

for fullback next year we will have players capable of filling the position. the front runners IMO are Hoffman and Beale with the outsiders being Hewitt and Hodges all are capable of doing a good job at the back

IMO McCullough will be a gun hooker in 2 or 3 years, he just needs time to develop, and i do think that we can combine him with Marsh or Gorrell until he is ready for 80mins of first grade footy.

I also think that we are 1 quality prop short ATM, i think we should go hard at Matt Scott, who will probably play origin 3 or look at the ESL as Coxy said, get a young prop with heaps of potential that we can develop, and convince him that playing for a perennially strong club like the Broncos in the best league comp in the world, will only enhance his career.

icon_thumbs_u

1 Hoffman/Beale
2 Tuqiri
3 Winterstein
4 Hodges
5 Folau
6 Lockyer
7 Wallace
8 Kenny
9 McCullough
10 Scott
11 Thaiday
12 Teo
13 Parker
14 Glenn
15 Clinton
16 Sims whoever
17 McGuire

yeah I'm dreamin.......

If we don't need a 9, then who do we have exactly? Gorrell? McCullogh, who is actually a 5/8? Marsh? We need a hooker and a decent backrower that will run through the middle. No more wide running backrowers, we have enough of those.

We really do need to start valuing our hookers. I am so sick of this position being constantly open-ended. I have lost count how many different hookers we have had over the last 8-9 years.

broncosil said:
If we don't need a 9, then who do we have exactly? Gorrell? McCullogh, who is actually a 5/8? Marsh? We need a hooker and a decent backrower that will run through the middle. No more wide running backrowers, we have enough of those.

I'm so glad you're not Bruno (or are you?)...

You highlight all those issues and yet you ignore that we only have TWO props, both of which have a tendency to get dominated.

By rights we should comfortably beat the Wakas this Friday, but they have Steve Price, who is easily as good as Kenny, Clinton and McGuire combined...and we only have 2 of those available.

Hooker? Gorrell and Marsh are serviceable, and McCullough has more potential there than in the halves. He has the potential to be the Broncos hooker for the next 10 years. While he's developing Gorrell and Marsh can do a good enough job.

Backrower to run through the middle? Te'o and Sims are more than capable of that. They're just softcocks. If we want to buy a backrower to run through the middle, then sack one or both of them first. Josh McGuire may well end up playing that role himself as he matures...he may not be big enough to play prop but geez he's a strong runner with a good offload and footwork.

It looks like Locky's hanging around for another 2 seasons, which should see Ben Hunt given some opportunities to be groomed as his successor.

Fullback, wing, centres...we have oodles, though we have to develop an eventual replacement for Hodges.

Number 1 concern: Front row
Number 2 concern: powderpuff back rowers
Number 3 concern: Lockyer exit strategy
Number 4 concern: hooker

broncosil said:

We really do need to start valuing our hookers. I am so sick of this position being constantly open-ended. I have lost count how many different hookers we have had over the last 8-9 years.
Josh McGuire? If we don't need him playing front row then he can play that role well IMO.

Coxy said:
broncosil said:

I'm so glad you're not Bruno (or are you?)...

You highlight all those issues and yet you ignore that we only have TWO props, both of which have a tendency to get dominated.

By rights we should comfortably beat the Wakas this Friday, but they have Steve Price, who is easily as good as Kenny, Clinton and McGuire combined...and we only have 2 of those available.

Hooker? Gorrell and Marsh are serviceable, and McCullough has more potential there than in the halves. He has the potential to be the Broncos hooker for the next 10 years. While he's developing Gorrell and Marsh can do a good enough job.

Backrower to run through the middle? Te'o and Sims are more than capable of that. They're just softcocks. If we want to buy a backrower to run through the middle, then sack one or both of them first. Josh McGuire may well end up playing that role himself as he matures...he may not be big enough to play prop but geez he's a strong runner with a good offload and footwork.

It looks like Locky's hanging around for another 2 seasons, which should see Ben Hunt given some opportunities to be groomed as his successor.

Fullback, wing, centres...we have oodles, though we have to develop an eventual replacement for Hodges.

Number 1 concern: Front row
Number 2 concern: powderpuff back rowers
Number 3 concern: Lockyer exit strategy
Number 4 concern: hooker

Never said that we never needed a prop. Was just highligting the need for a decent hooker. I do believe we lost a lot when we lost Ennis, even though he is a bit of a douche. Cullen was actually stupid for not considering the huge hole that was left when Ennis left.

Our prop problem has existed since Civo left, and then Hannant. And all the issues you have stated are important and should be addressed.

I also think that Te'o and Sims are softcocks, as well as Setu, and it would not be a bad thing to sack on of those 3 (preferable Te'o or Setu) and buy a decent prop.

One thing I am glad of, is that they kept McGuire and got rid of Taylor, who has proven to be useless all year.

Not arguing that we lost a lot with Ennis, but he wouldn't have stayed for what was offered. Though I agree I don't know why we wasted cap on Teo and Setu while losing Ennis. That was an odd decision.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Porthoz
  • Stix
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  • Astro
  • lynx000
  • mrtij
  • kman
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Manifesto
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.