International Cricket 2012/13

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Yeah hilfenhaus bowled 53 overs and siddle bowled 63 overs... 53 is more than 63 right?

Hilfy went through the motions and is only keeping his spot cos patto is out

Sth African second innings... Hilfenhaus bowled 34 to Siddle's 33. Siddle was out on his feet.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Sth African second innings... Hilfenhaus bowled 34 to Siddle's 33. Siddle was out on his feet.

It seemed pretty clear who was putting the effort in. But your right, he's shit

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
It seems Hastings is in as all-round cover. Extremely baffling.

Hazlewood seems to be a chosen one, he's averaging 40 this summer! You certainly can't say he earned his call up

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
m1c, I'm interested to hear what your 1st XI would be with a view to the Ashes.

I feel like Australian cricket only has 3 locks, Clarke, Hussey & Watson.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
I've got the side a little more stable than that. As much as I just rubbished Siddle, if he pitches up he's not a bad bowler.

Ponting is the only one who I don't think will make it. And whilst Warner is also no certainty, he's more likely than not. The selectors are backing Cowan and he seems to have a lot of credit in the bank. Hussey is still a dependable performer who age is not wearying.

Who take's Ponting's spot in the top 6 is a pineapple - there is just no one screaming out. Uzzie, Hughes, Doolan and possibly Bailey seem the only likely. I'd imagine 2 of those 4 go. Paine would need to have a bumper post Big Bash Shield season to dislodge one of them.

Phil Hughes is the real wild card - he is a prodigious talent and if he takes his opportunity in the ODI's I can't see why he won't be in the starting 11 as either an opener or even lower down the order.

The bowling pretty much sorts itself out - the top 5 quicks are fairly clear-cut. Johnson and Hazlewood obviously have the opportunity to move themselves up the pecking order this summer however I find it unlikely.

My locks are:

Cowan
Clarke
Watson
Hussey
Wade
Pattinson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Starc
Cummins
Lyon

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
It seems Hastings is in as all-round cover. Extremely baffling.

Hazlewood seems to be a chosen one, he's averaging 40 this summer! You certainly can't say he earned his call up

Hastings has been in great form this summer but still a strange selection. Hazelwood being the chosen one is spot on.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I still don't agree that siddle is as average as you guys are carrying on... Guess I can't see what you lot do...

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Yeah Sids is crap! He only got 4 wickets on a pitch that offered nothing for the quicks. Lyon should be getting the scrutiny imo

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah Sids is crap! He only got 4 wickets on a pitch that offered nothing for the quicks. Lyon should be getting the scrutiny imo

Yeah I always thought Sids was pretty great and easily out best quick currently. The stats and his performance seemed to back this up... Fortunately the experts have set me straight and I now realise how average he is, the prick will be lucky to play another test

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think m1c sums him up well. He's a lion hearted performer, but doesn't have any real ability. It's not like he gets batsmen out with brilliantly disguised variation. And the times he does get batsmen with great balls it seems almost like a fluke. He can't do them consistently.

Some might say that's like Glenn McGrath, but people underrate how good McGrath was at setting a batsman up and then just a subtle variation in the same relentless outside off stump line would get the wicket.

The fact Siddle can't bowl a yorker is a criminal example of a failing of his development.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think m1c sums him up well. He's a lion hearted performer, but doesn't have any real ability. It's not like he gets batsmen out with brilliantly disguised variation. And the times he does get batsmen with great balls it seems almost like a fluke. He can't do them consistently.

Some might say that's like Glenn McGrath, but people underrate how good McGrath was at setting a batsman up and then just a subtle variation in the same relentless outside off stump line would get the wicket.

The fact Siddle can't bowl a yorker is a criminal example of a failing of his development.

Like the Yorker he bowled yesterday to get a wicket? Yeah he can't bowl them...

If sids is as average as you blokes reckon then god help the rest of our bowlers, they must be horrendous

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I still don't agree that siddle is as average as you guys are carrying on... Guess I can't see what you lot do...

Agree, to really understand Peter Siddle's virtues you have to look further than his stats and averages ect. He's the junkyard dog of our bowling attack .. he's the snarling, nasty, spitting mongrel who will do whatever, wherever and for how ever long the captain wants. Characters like Peter Siddle don't grow on trees nowadays and I reckon if you asked Michael Clarke, he wouldn't swap him for anyone.

The ideal role for Siddle would be alongside two 'rolls royce' quicks ... but unfortunately he doesn't have a McGrath and Gillespie standing either side of him.

The thought of Australia going into a test match without Peter Siddle in the mix is just downright frightening, and I reckon any opposition batting lineup would feel a lot more comfortable if Siddle wasn't there.

Last edited:
C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
**** me you're precious sometimes b4l. I'm not saying he's crap, I'm saying he's a workhorse, a tradesman. Sure, he CAN bowl a yorker, but he lacks the ability to pepper tailenders' toes. Too often he's trying for the edge, when the best way to bowl out the tail is bowl straight at the stumps.

He's not a "thinking" fast bowler. He's tenacious and at you (as bull shark puts it, a junkyard dog), and for that reason he's integral to the team at the moment.

Without Pattinson, who is the aggressive, talented fast bowler we've lacked for a while, the team is much weaker. Hilfenhaus just isn't dangerous. Siddle needs someone else who can prise out wickets with movement, because that's not what he's about.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Ugh, perception and reality are entirely out of sync here. Siddle is not a bad bowler WHEN he decides to pitch it up. He is, however, utterly and entirely unfit.

The only reason he is a 'lion-hearted' performer is because he is not conditioned enough. Why is Hilfy not 'lion-hearted'? He bowled just as many overs yesterday. He isn't seen to have the same work ethic because he does it easier - he's fitter and therefore gets through overs with greater ease. If anything he is more of a lion-heart because he does the work off the field, when no one is watching.

Siddle struggles and he gets prasied - well done m8 on pushing yourself through the pain barrier, however you should have worked harder off the field so you don't look like you're about to keel over in the middle of a match.

It irks me.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
**** me you're precious sometimes b4l. I'm not saying he's crap, I'm saying he's a workhorse, a tradesman. Sure, he CAN bowl a yorker, but he lacks the ability to pepper tailenders' toes. Too often he's trying for the edge, when the best way to bowl out the tail is bowl straight at the stumps.

He's not a "thinking" fast bowler. He's tenacious and at you (as bull shark puts it, a junkyard dog), and for that reason he's integral to the team at the moment.

Without Pattinson, who is the aggressive, talented fast bowler we've lacked for a while, the team is much weaker. Hilfenhaus just isn't dangerous. Siddle needs someone else who can prise out wickets with movement, because that's not what he's about.

I'm not precious, I'm just responding to comments that seem ridiculious. To quote the great coxy he "doesn't have any real ability"... that's obviously garbage. You said he can't bowl a yorker, thats also rubbish

So essentially for pulling you up on saying stupid s*** I'm being precious? I forgot that with every forum you're on the appropriate response to one of your posts is to say how smart you are and ignore any facts to the contrary

Last edited:
Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Hilfy is also 10ks slower than Sids so maybe the effort levels per ball delivered are different?

Unread

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Waynesaurus
  • mystico
  • broncos4life
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Seibs
  • Skyblues87
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.