Is Locky better than Lewis?

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
haha im gonna love this topic!!!

Come on is Locky better than lewis... Who is the real "king"?

Re: Is Locky better then Lewis

some will look at this topic and call me a dick, but its seriously a Question that needs to be asked at some point.

I assume you're speaking about Origin.
I haven't seen anything of Lewis because I was too young back then but I've never seen a player better than Lockyer, he's been amazing at all levels for such a long time now.

broncospwn said:
I assume you're speaking about Origin.
I haven't seen anything of Lewis because I was too young back then but I've never seen a player better than Lockyer, he's been amazing at all levels for such a long time now.

nah mate not Just origin but in general, 90% of league fans will say Lewis was the best they wont say "In origin" they will just say "the best" locky is at his game in both Origin and Club...

I think it needs to be taken into account that Locky has played in an era where all teams are fairly evenly matched skill wise and the game is a lot more intense but has still lasted such a long time. He is also the most capped AUS captain, Broncos captain and (I think) QLD captain. That says a lot.

No he is not better than Lewis but happy to call him Wally's equal.

Jeba said:

What do you base that on? Just Origin?

Jeba said:
We need a Locky statue outside suncorp stadium when he retires!

draggx said:
Jeba said:

Based on their football ability and careers perhaps? Pretty weird platform to base it on I know eusa_think

I don't think one ie better than the other. I will say Wally and his commentary suck, he only ever spoke when he wanted to say how hard done by the Titans had been or that the Broncos are no good!

Never got to see Wally in his prime unfortunately. Though I will say that Locky is probably equal with Fittler as the 2nd best footballer I've ever seen, with Johns being the best.

Jeba said:
draggx said:
Jeba said:

Based on their football ability and careers perhaps? Pretty weird platform to base it on I know eusa_think

haha no need to take it the wrong way, i was just curious as to what of Lewis you have seen. its natural that 90% of us here would only know about him due to his "name from origin"

I wasn't old enough to see him when he was playing but seen tapes of every one of his Origin games in full. Also while I haven't seen much of his BRL or Broncos days, the wraps on him obviously wouldn't be too far off the mark.

I saw Wally play for Valleys and Wynnum, I watched him carve up Wayne Bennett coached Souths team in 79 and 84 in the grand finals, he went on to win another premiership with Wynnum in '86 and if my memory serves me correctly he was captain/coach that year too.

Both Lockyer and Wally are/were great players, I can't split them to be honest. 2 awesome players in different era's it's really too hard to judge.

Wally was magnificent, but not always consistent. The thing he had over Locky was a physical presence - Wally was capable of making an impression in defence.
Wally was very clever, had a brilliant ability to create things and he had an unbelievble ability to bring the x factor when needed.
Like Locky in many ways.

Wally never succeeded in the NSWRL competition, and I think that's the only question mark. It's hard to be critical though because he didn't go to that comp until the twilight of his career with the Broncos and Gold Coast.

Had he gone in the early 80s when he was at his peak, could've been a different story.

For me they are both brilliant players and I cant really separate them other than saying I've seen a lot more of Locky and his brilliance. Both inspirational players who can single handedly win a match and when the game is on the line will want the ball in their hands. Both can lift a team with a play whether its Locky chiming in from fullback with silky smooth running or running the ball from 5/8 and Lewis his aggression in defense, the amount of times he put a hit on an opposition front/ second rower and sat him on his arse was special.
I think I would say imo that Locky is a more skillful player and that would put him ahead (marginally) for me.
Does Locky deserve a statue beside Wally's when he retires? Definately!!!

Just watched this again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvpiGoUHznw makes me thirtsty icon_thumbs_u

draggx said:
some will look at this topic and call me a dick, but its seriously a Question that needs to be asked at some point.

No, I won't call you a 'dick', but I WILL call you slightly retarded for even suggesting the possibility. Seriously, for any of you to be even mentioning Lockyer's name in the same sentence as The King is ridiculous. Sure, Lockyer has BEEN a grand player and I have the utmost respect for all that he has achieved over the years, but he should never be thought of as being a better player than Lewis.

For one, Lewis was a great defender, whereas Lockyer has mostly been a turnstile, especially over the past few years as he has slowed down. Secondly, Lewis had the remarkable ability to create something out of nothing, more so than any other player from any era. I could go on with many more reasons why Lewis was better, but I won't waste my time as I know how many of you here have some serious 'Man-Love' for Darren and would just disregard what I write anyway.

But in summary, for those suggesting Lockyer is a better player than Lewis (I dunno how people can say that when some of you here were still sucking on your mother's tit when Lewis was in his prime); give yourselves a biatch slap ok.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • RogerAbrah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Spike
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.