Israel Folau wants out... I'll show him the door.

sydney_bronco09 said:
money hungry folau will join money hungry hunt and leave the broncos. end of story.

Lol, you mean logical thinker Folau, will join logical thinker Hunt.

When someone offers you roughly double what your current contract is worth, it's hard to say no.

ningnangnong said:
sydney_bronco09 said:
money hungry folau will join money hungry hunt and leave the broncos. end of story.

When someone offers you roughly double what your current contract is worth, it's hard to say no.

No, but still makes you money hungry if that was the reason for doing it.

Coxy said:
ningnangnong said:
sydney_bronco09 said:

It also makes you a logical thinker who is not just centred on the present, but the future as well.

If the report is true and Folaus' management approached the Gayfl then our clubs should unite in not dealing with theses blokes who are trying to steer our best towards other sports under the guise of "only doing the best for my client", (read myself).
When the NRL registers them they should have to give an undertaking not to steal our talent, or, the NRL will have to start putting transfer fees in place, anything to stem the flow.

ningnangnong said:
Coxy said:
ningnangnong said:
sydney_bronco09 said:

It also makes you a logical thinker who is not just centred on the present, but the future as well.

Another person with no clue about a working life. If you are offered $1 million a year to do something you don't really want to do, but you take it anyway, then you're money hungry.

I truly believe Folau and Hunt had no real interest in AFL but figured "meh, I'll give it a go, the money's good"...hence, my belief they're money hungry.

And in both cases if they do decide they hate it and want to come back, a big F O to them.

They are only thinking of their future, by doing 3 years in AFL they still have plenty of time to come back to league. It makes sense financially for them to leave. If it's a 3mil deal over 3 years you just can't say no, and you shouldn't expect them to.

Again, not my point. My point is money isn't everything and I very much doubt they have any real desire or interest in playing aussie rules. Set yourself up financially by doing something you don't like for 3 years when you could earn very good money just the same doing something you love? Pretty lame really.

Seriously, we're talking $400K+ in league. It's not like we're talking about a McDonalds casual job. It's plenty enough money to set yourself up for life. For a start, buy a house without a mortgage. Buy an investment property without a mortgage with year 2.

Who fucking needs to play more than 5 years then?

Coxy said:
Again, not my point. My point is money isn't everything and I very much doubt they have any real desire or interest in playing aussie rules. Set yourself up financially by doing something you don't like for 3 years when you could earn very good money just the same doing something you love? Pretty lame really.

Seriously, we're talking $400K+ in league. It's not like we're talking about a McDonalds casual job. It's plenty enough money to set yourself up for life. For a start, buy a house without a mortgage. Buy an investment property without a mortgage with year 2.

Who **** needs to play more than 5 years then?
Doesn't necessarily have to be about money. Hunt and Folau are naturally gifted athletes, any sport they want to do they will be good at. Maybe it's just a new test for themselves to expand what they already know.

Plus, the money is good. hah.

And Izzy did say he wanted AFL in Western Sydney to succeed and gain some market share from League. What better way to do it!

Coxy said:
ningnangnong said:
Coxy said:
ningnangnong said:
sydney_bronco09 said:

Another person with no clue about a working life. If you are offered $1 million a year to do something you don't really want to do, but you take it anyway, then you're money hungry.

I truly believe Folau and Hunt had no real interest in AFL but figured "meh, I'll give it a go, the money's good"...hence, my belief they're money hungry.

And in both cases if they do decide they hate it and want to come back, a big F O to them.

Fallopian ....ovary?

Coxy said:

Who **** needs to play more than 5 years then?

Aren't you forgetting about a little thing called tax?? These guys are well paid, but by no means are you going to be set for life after a couple of years once you give half back in tax. Fair enough, I am sure these guys have good accountants that help minimise tax, but given they are otherwise normal employees they will be paying piles of tax.

Not sure where you are buying your houses but 2yrs on $400k is not going to buy you 2 houses....

Very hard to blame someone for wanting to secure their financial future....

**** me. If every person needed to earn $1 million a year to secure their financial future this country would be in deep shit.

But I'm digressing to my viewpoint that professional sportspeople the world over are overpaid, grossly, and that goes nowhere.

Kick traitor Israel Folau out of NRL forever
Steve Ricketts From: The Daily Telegraph April 30, 2010 12:00AM

FORMER Test centre Tony Currie has called for Israel Folau to be banned for life from returning to rugby league if the Broncos star switches to rugby union with the Melbourne Rebels.

"There is not enough money in the game to sustain the wages some players are asking," said Currie who was part of the management team of the Indigenous All Stars side which defeated the NRL All Stars in February.

"I say, let them go if players want to switch to union or AFL, but ban them from returning to our game as they often do looking to set themselves up for life after football, like Wendell Sailor.

"Good luck to Wendell with his media career, but I don't want to see that situation happening over and over again.

"How old is Thurston? 27. There were 10 or more years put into the kid to get him to where he is today. All that money, time and effort by coaches, the ladies in the canteen, the people who wash the jerseys.

"The players forget that. If they want to go, I say 'See you later', but don't try to come back for a big pay day after two or three years in another code.

"You've got to reward loyalty and remember the development work of many people, even if the players don't.

"Too many players want to take, take, take and give nothing back. I think some are a bit greedy and if $400,000 is not enough it's obvious the culture has to change.

"We have to take a stand and the players have to know there will be consequences."

Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen said plans to ban players from returning to rugby league had been discussed before.

"It is an issue that gets raised, but in some ways you bite off your nose to spite your face," Cullen said.

"It would be hard to argue that the guys who have returned to league recently haven't added value to the game."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5860393462

Tony Currie's a douche. Firstly, it wouldn't be a deterrent. Even if they did want to come back to League, the ESL wouldn't have a ban on them so they'd get way more than they would in Australia anyway.

And second, they all get bored eventually. Tuqiri, Sailor, Rogers...they all get their payday and when they're bored with the shitty sport they've gone to they come back and bring plenty of value when they do.

Threatening punishments is stupid. The game should be finding a way to reward our marquee players better so they don't feel compelled to chase bigger money elsewhere.

Either that or the government, as an anti-inflationary measure, puts a cap on salaries for sportspeople in Australia, or puts a "money hungry sports idiot surcharge" of 20% on the tax return of any sportsman earning more than $500K per year :P

Coxy said:

I bet 99% of people on here would take the same offer as Izzy and thus be money hungry. Including yourself. Although it's easy to say you wouldn't when you're not in his position.

You have no idea if they have no interest in AFL, so that's basically a moot point.

Most people do jobs they don't like for award wages... Just depends if he thinks he'll be happy away from his family.

I honestly would never leave the Broncos, love them and would bleed for them. Not matter what the offer is from AFL or Union

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Muros
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Ondi
  • scobie
  • Splinter
  • thenry
  • Culhwch
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Jazza
  • ettybay
  • theshed
  • sooticus
  • Tmac
  • Gaz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • maddo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.