It’s not Seibold’s fault

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I could be wrong here, but how negative do the media and the commentary team's want to be! Far out they only remember the last 2 games and the finals game.
I remember the FIRST 2 games of the season! How good were they! So good it shows what they can do
I don't think it is a coincidence that post covid (and what i don't hear many people talking about) is the change in rules!
I could be wrong again but This team was put together with the original rules in mind, the extra speed of the game has caught them out a bit and they have only managed 30% of the ball.

You can't win games with 30% of the ball full stop.

They aren't fit enough. They are a big group, yes young, and were not prepared for how much faster the game has got.

You will see. Once they work out the pace of the game and get back in control of possession it will be a different story. Forget Gould, and Gallen's "opinions" the way i see it after QLD did so well for so long they have been waiting for this opportunity to stick the boot in to Queensland, not just the Broncos.

Get in the cardio and Proove them wrong boys! 👍 Matty T
But but but... we ALL love Mary and nobody wants to see him sacked

Depends which side of the border you happen to be from in this NATIONAL competition

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
It is clear he was paid far too much, for far too long as a favour, most likely at Wayne’s ‘suggestion’. No-one conducting an unbiased assessment of his worth, would have honestly believed he deserved what we gave him.

At best in my opinion, he should have been given a year by year contract from 2017 on, depending on his enthusiasm and performance. There was no way on EARTH, he deserved a 4 year contract at marquee player rates.
This is what jars to me. If Boyd was only given a sweet deal because of Bennett, then why would the current admin be forcing Seibold to pick him?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
What do you mean by this exactly?

I got told that the Broncos gave him a better contract to look after him. Don't know the reason why, might not even be true but the person that told me has always been spot on before, no reason to doubt him this time.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Remember that time Wayne was going to take legal action against the Broncos after his dismissal?

Remember how that went away?

Here's how that conversation went:

Paul White: 'Ok Wayne, what do we have to do to make this court case go away?'

Wayne Bennett: '$250,000 cash and a written contract stating that Darius Boyd will not be removed from the starting line-up under any circumstances until the day he retires.'

Paul White: 'How about $1,000,000 cash and you take Darius Boyd with you to Souths?'

Wayne Bennett:

ShamefulFewGallinule-size_restricted.gif

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It is clear he was paid far too much, for far too long as a favour, most likely at Wayne’s ‘suggestion’. No-one conducting an unbiased assessment of his worth, would have honestly believed he deserved what we gave him.

At best in my opinion, he should have been given a year by year contract from 2017 on, depending on his enthusiasm and performance. There was no way on EARTH, he deserved a 4 year contract at marquee player rates.
Yes we all know that. I was asking @Wolfie , who is in some capacity a club insider, for details on why he now knows this to be the case.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Yes we all know that. I was asking @Wolfie , who is in some capacity a club insider, for details on why he now knows this to be the case.

Ha ha, I'm not a club insider mate. Just know a couple of people. For the record though from what I got told, it wasnt down to Wayne that they gave him too much of a good contract.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
Remember that time Wayne was going to take legal action against the Broncos after his dismissal?

Wayne Bennett: '$250,000 cash and a written contract stating that Darius Boyd will not be removed from the starting line-up under any circumstances until the day he retires.

I actually don’t think we’ve heard the last of this court case.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I got told that the Broncos gave him a better contract to look after him. Don't know the reason why, might not even be true but the person that told me has always been spot on before, no reason to doubt him this time.

and you believe that a club willing to give a player an inflated and illogically long contract to “look after him” would stop short of also guaranteeing him a starting role?

Im not saying I know one way or the other, in fact I’m so adverse to conspiracy that if it wasn’t for hints from you and smoking Joe about him being looked after, I’d assume the simplest and therefor most likely answer is just the people handing out contracts are idiots. However imo, once you are willing to accept that the contract was given out under sus circumstances (looking after one of the boys), then you have to also accept that the same guys who handed out the contract could also be forcing the coach to select him.

it has been obvious to all involved that Boyd is not first grade standard for over a season (and that’s being generous). I find it hard to believe that a professional NRL coach who has shown an almost risky penchant for moving on older players would be blind to how bad Boyd has been.

So for me it was always a case of everyone involved in re-signing Boyd for as long and as pricey as they did, and everyone involved in the continual selection of Boyd are unbelievably stupid (in regards to Boyd) OR the whole thing smells suspect and there’s a hidden motive to his continued selection.

You, yourself - someone who’s info I mostly tryst, are saying that the contract is suspect so for me the whole thing is suspect.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
This is what jars to me. If Boyd was only given a sweet deal because of Bennett, then why would the current admin be forcing Seibold to pick him?

Because they are paying him so much, because they want him to be the face and ‘voice’ of the club publicly. They wanted him to be our modern day Lockyer, the club captain behind who everyone could rally. This is where I suspect Wayne’s influence mattered. The front office and corporate matters more than the football and if Darius’s annual new Range Rover courtesy of Ian Boettcher motors at Ipswich is any indication, he still has significant corporate ‘pull’ apparently regardless of what he is doing on the field...

The problem was they were all blind to what was happening to him in football terms. He was declining at such a rapid rate they, I can only assume, had no idea he would be where he is now,ie: completely useless, with no business being anywhere near our team, especially seeing as though he has simultaneously developed this poisonous victimhood mentality at the same time...

Last edited:
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Ha ha, I'm not a club insider mate. Just know a couple of people. For the record though from what I got told, it wasnt down to Wayne that they gave him too much of a good contract.
lol I should have italicised the “in some capacity” part 😉

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
Precisely.
[automerge]1591748436[/automerge]

They do, but it just doesn't add up. And if by some chance it was true, it would destroy our reputation as a club, no coach would come here to be undermined. It's just a poor coaching decision.

What did i miss whats going to destroy the reputation of our club?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Precisely.
[automerge]1591748436[/automerge]

They do, but it just doesn't add up. And if by some chance it was true, it would destroy our reputation as a club, no coach would come here to be undermined. It's just a poor coaching decision.

I don’t mean to seem like I’m targeting you, I just wanted to add to this discussion regarding no coach would come here. Bennett left after falling out with the board and Bellamy reportedly turned down a hefty sum. We managed to get a rookie coach.

I think our clubs reputation isn’t exactly glowing at the moment.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
and you believe that a club willing to give a player an inflated and illogically long contract to “look after him” would stop short of also guaranteeing him a starting role?

Im not saying I know one way or the other, in fact I’m so adverse to conspiracy that if it wasn’t for hints from you and smoking Joe about him being looked after, I’d assume the simplest and therefor most likely answer is just the people handing out contracts are idiots. However imo, once you are willing to accept that the contract was given out under sus circumstances (looking after one of the boys), then you have to also accept that the same guys who handed out the contract could also be forcing the coach to select him.

it has been obvious to all involved that Boyd is not first grade standard for over a season (and that’s being generous). I find it hard to believe that a professional NRL coach who has shown an almost risky penchant for moving on older players would be blind to how bad Boyd has been.

So for me it was always a case of everyone involved in re-signing Boyd for as long and as pricey as they did, and everyone involved in the continual selection of Boyd are unbelievably stupid (in regards to Boyd) OR the whole thing smells suspect and there’s a hidden motive to his continued selection.

You, yourself - someone who’s info I mostly tryst, are saying that the contract is suspect so for me the whole thing is suspect.

I dont think the contract itself is suspect in terms of whats in it. Its more that somebody felt the need to look after Darius for what they perceive he has has done at Brisbane. I felt a two year renewal was the right thing for him at the time and he got more. Never thought it was the right move.

I still dont feel the coach is being forced to pick him though. I really dont see any sense in it from any party. These " higher up " people forcing him to be picked would realise its going to cost them money because of the clubs failure. Seibold would be setting himself up for failure by picking a player who is so obviously a weak link. Why would he do something that could cost him his job. Makes no sense to me. Both the club and the coach would lose out from doing it.

I agree with you though, we are taking a beating with our reputation, but a bit like Man United in the Premier league, we have enough stature to make us one of the best jobs going around even with all the negativity.
[automerge]1591781806[/automerge]
What did i miss whats going to destroy the reputation of our club?

A crappy coach 😆

Last edited:
Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
As much as I don’t like Kent, Hooper or Rothfield they made a good point. The broncos media were circulating stats about player experience during the game and Seibold had the rooster comparison in 2014 or whenever it was ready to fire at the press conference.

That stinks. If your going into a game armed with that information expecting to lose then something is really wrong. We should be concentrating on trying to win games not trying to come up with excuses about why we lost before the game has even started.

It's a good point you make but I was actually thinking about the Roosters 2014 season and how quickly they were able to bounce back after it throughout the game. Everyone knows they blooded a lot of young talent and went without their more experienced players for most of the season.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I dont think the contract itself is suspect in terms of whats in it. Its more that somebody felt the need to look after Darius for what they perceive he has has done at Brisbane. I felt a two year renewal was the right thing for him at the time and he got more. Never thought it was the right move.

I still dont feel the coach is being forced to pick him though. I really dont see any sense in it from any party. These " higher up " people forcing him to be picked would realise its going to cost them money because of the clubs failure. Seibold would be setting himself up for failure by picking a player who is so obviously a weak link. Why would he do something that could cost him his job. Makes no sense to me. Both the club and the coach would lose out from doing it.

I agree with you though, we are taking a beating with our reputation, but a bit like Man United in the Premier league, we have enough stature to make us one of the best jobs going around even with all the negativity.
[automerge]1591781806[/automerge]

A crappy coach 😆

I get what you’re saying but for me once you go down the road of giving out contracts based on things outside of current form than it opens up the possibility that players are getting picked for reasons not related to current form. And if as you said Bennett wasn’t the one behind it, it’s very likely that those behind it are still at the club and still feel a need to look after Boyd.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I get what you’re saying but for me once you go down the road of giving out contracts based on things outside of current form than it opens up the possibility that players are getting picked for reasons not related to current form. And if as you said Bennett wasn’t the one behind it, it’s very likely that those behind it are still at the club and still feel a need to look after Boyd.

I think it was purely a financial deal tbh, but nobody really would know for sure apart from the involved parties.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Wayne Bennett: '$250,000 cash and a written contract stating that Darius Boyd will not be removed from the starting line-up under any circumstances until the day he retires.'

Paul White: 'How about $1,000,000 cash and you take Darius Boyd with you to Souths?'

Wayne Bennett:

ShamefulFewGallinule-size_restricted.gif

One of the funniest posts I've ever seen on here.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think it was purely a financial deal tbh, but nobody really would know for sure apart from the involved parties.

Trying to be an NRL journalist here? I think something happened but it might not have, only people who were there actually know.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • marw
  • Mustafur
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • BroncoFan94
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Volvo Driver
  • Santa
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  • Organix
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.