It’s not Seibold’s fault

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I always said that I was willing to give Seibs a chance and that this season is the one that will give us a real indication of what he’s made of as a coach. To be fair, we could not have asked for a worse start concerning injury, suspension, and covid 19 but the results have been inexcusable too. I’m willing to hold my judgement until the end of the year and see how he handles this adversity and what he can put together once he has a close to full strength squad. If the worst is yet to come I’ll be 100% on the sack Seibold train but I’m willing to give him the season to prove himself.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Hate on the 360 crew all you want, it I think they’re right.
ben ikin “there is No excuse to have a rebuilding Year in Brisbane”

the seibold signing scenario was a clusterfuck. They’ve let go a lot of experience and not replaced it.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
All of those were several years ago outside of Boyd & Walker. Boyd wasn't seen in the same category as any of our other prospects and Walker was 16 years old or something.

Outside of those two, we've kept every kid under the sun for the last 3 years or so, which coincides with our downfall as a club.

2018, 2019, 2020 are the years we've fallen apart.

Broncos have recently let go of all of / lost out to other clubs on Collins, T.Boyd, Simpkins, Walsh, Ponga, etc. They are keeping a lot but still seemingly missing out on the gun spine players. Hopefully Dearden and Niu buck that trend.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Broncos have recently let go of all of / lost out to other clubs on Collins, T.Boyd, Simpkins, Walsh, Ponga, etc. They are keeping a lot but still seemingly missing out on the gun spine players. Hopefully Dearden and Niu buck that trend.

When did Reece leave?

Ponga left Brisbane in 2013, he was 15 years old and leveraged six NRL clubs, the QRU and the AFL to get a ridiculous deal from the Cowboys. Then before even seeing that deal out he was talking to the Lions and the Knights before accepting an $3.6 million deal after only playing two games.

Boyd, S. Walker and Simpkin have a long road ahead of them before they can be considered guns.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think the club is almost in an unwinnable spot at the moment due to the amount of young talent we have. As sad as that is. When we lost Taylor there was an uproar. When we lost Arrow there was an uproar. When we lost J.Nikorima there was an uproar. Among various other young talents lost over the 5 years leading up to Seibold.

Now the club has all of these bright prospects coming through.. and instead of picking and choosing which ones to go all out to keep, we're trying to keep LITERALLY ALL OF THEM. This is coming at the cost of all of experienced players being released and us having zero money to bring in premiership level talent from outside of Brisbane.

I don't know what the solution is, I want to keep Haas, Carrigan, Fifita, Flegler, Staggs, Isaako and to a lesser extent Farnworth, Coates, Niu, Paix, Dearden, Bullemore.. but like.. something has to give, we can't keep every promising prospect and field a team that's experienced and battle-hardened enough to win against men.

I've always had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about our retention. If you keep a couple of superstar in the making forwards, or a center, you need to balance that out by keeping the solid, steady, unspectacular players to keep your cap in check. We just cant keep them all and expect to have a balanced squad.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
When did Reece leave?

Ponga left Brisbane in 2013, he was 15 years old and leveraged six NRL clubs, QRU and the AFL to get a ridiculous deal from the Cowboys. Then before even seeing that deal out he was talking to the Lions and the Knights before accepting an $800K deal after only playing two games.

Boyd, S. Walker and Simpkin have a long road ahead of them before they can be considered guns.

I think you missed the point. I wasn’t saying in this instance we let guns go, I was saying that Not everyone has been kept. There are still players the Broncs are letting go of.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Right, the club has lost some juniors since 2018. Eddie Blacker, Jake Simpkin, Sam Walker, JJ Clarkson, Brocco Urhle, Juwain Compain etc. but none of them had NRL deals with the Broncos, which is what I think UB was driving at.

That since 2018, there's been a real drive to keep the NRL contracted players together and there's been some crazy figures tossed around in the media about who's getting paid what to stay.

I don't know if that's necessarily true, especially in light of Corey Allan, Gehamat Shibasaki and Jaydn Su'A leaving in recent times but I can see why some people are drawing these conclusions. Last year with Wayne leaving, I think there was a real effort to keep some of these players around to show that Wayne wasn't running the show. There was that instance where Oates, Pangai and Lodge all signed extensions after a week Seibold had been announced as coach, almost as a ploy to give Seibs credit.

Also, you did say that while the Broncos are keeping plenty they're missing out on the gun spine players. Maybe you meant that the players they're keeping don't happen to be gun spine players which at this stage is right, but it wasn't clear from your first sentence.

Where is Reece Walsh going?

Last edited:
Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
The simple fact is we have gone in far too heavily on our so called ‘talent’ which may or may not work out long term AND kept much of our old deadwood in the mean time, while ignoring the present and recruiting a stock of capable NRL players to keep our experience and depth up.

Our ‘seasoned’ players are rookies and our depth, are absolute beginners.

I hope the young talent we have invested in, proves to be the world beaters we are told they are.

Because if they aren’t, then we are in trouble for a LONG time...

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
The simple fact is we have gone in far too heavily on our so called ‘talent’ which may or may not work out long term AND kept much of our old deadwood in the mean time, while ignoring the present and recruiting a stock of capable NRL players to keep our experience and depth up.

Our ‘seasoned’ players are rookies and our depth, are absolute beginners.

I hope the young talent we have invested in, proves to be the world beaters we are told they are.

Because if they aren’t, then we are in trouble for a LONG time...
In effect, they will be re-creating the 2008 scenario all over again where that cohort had a lower ceiling than they had predicted.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
In effect, they will be re-creating the 2008 scenario all over again where that cohort had a lower ceiling than they had predicted.
I am more concerned that they might reach a high ceiling and we won't be able to keep them due to cap restraints...
It doesn't play to be a development club in the NRL.

Anyway, without an attitude fix, their talent won't take them to the heights they could otherwise reach. I just hope we don't have too many David Taylors in the team.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I am more concerned that they might reach a high ceiling and we won't be able to keep them due to cap restraints...
It doesn't play to be a development club in the NRL.

Anyway, without an attitude fix, their talent won't take them to the heights they could otherwise reach. I just hope we don't have too many David Taylors in the team.
Me too, but I don't believe we do.

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
It still constantly amazes me that the same club that managed to table a four year mega deal for a nearly 30 year old Boyd is the very same club that also had the foresight to sign Payne Haas up on a 6 year deal.

it beggars belief that these two things happened at the very same club.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
It still constantly amazes me that the same club that managed to table a four year mega deal for a nearly 30 year old Boyd is the very same club that also had the foresight to sign Payne Haas up on a 6 year deal.

it beggars belief that these two things happened at the very same club.

That's easy, one was a prudent signing, the other was a back scratch.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
That's easy, one was a prudent signing, the other was a back scratch.
I don’t even want to think about what this place would look like if he’d just been given a one or two year deal with a player option at the time.

It honestly must make the N(SW)RL hierarchy sick to their stomach that he plays for us and still will be for some time yet.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
The lack of spine that Anthony Seibold has shown in not dropping Boyd in the first pre-season and never bringing him back in nevermind the 2nd one has become the talk of the town, not just here but in the south as well. Seibold is spoken of in the same breaths as Mary McGregor, and for a junior coach in his third season of coaching, that is not the sort of comparison you want pundits to be making at this point in your career.

Instead of being disgusted by the results from 2 of the last 5 games, Seibold chose to hold the Roosters failures up like a shield as if he can somehow foresee the future that we will go the same way. To do that after the worst loss in our history is both a monument to his inability to see the forest for the trees and his complete lack of a solid pair of brass bollocks to take back control of his own team rather than letting a 32 year old has been who is cynically using his obvious lack of spine and accountability as a retirement year cash cow. When the media came with a license to kill, rather than man up and fight back he cowered behind excuses like a whipped dog, and that is all he has done since he came here.

In short, Seibold is Darius and the players bitch, and I don't want my coach to be the bitch of any player ever. If you are a first grade coach and you ever let it get to that point, you're finished. the squad has lost all respect for you, the fans have lost all respect for you and the only thing standing between you and the pitchforks is a man equally incompetent and equally as unaccountable. It's any wonder everyone under the sun is out for blood when the situation is not just so unacceptable but also so pathetic.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
The lack of spine that Anthony Seibold has shown in not dropping Boyd in the first pre-season and never bringing him back in nevermind the 2nd one has become the talk of the town, not just here but in the south as well. Seibold is spoken of in the same breaths as Mary McGregor, and for a junior coach in his third season of coaching, that is not the sort of comparison you want pundits to be making at this point in your career.

Instead of being disgusted by the results from 2 of the last 5 games, Seibold chose to hold the Roosters failures up like a shield as if he can somehow foresee the future that we will go the same way. To do that after the worst loss in our history is both a monument to his inability to see the forest for the trees and his complete lack of a solid pair of brass bollocks to take back control of his own team rather than letting a 32 year old has been who is cynically using his obvious lack of spine and accountability as a retirement year cash cow. When the media came with a license to kill, rather than man up and fight back he cowered behind excuses like a whipped dog, and that is all he has done since he came here.

In short, Seibold is Darius and the players bitch, and I don't want my coach to be the bitch of any player ever. If you are a first grade coach and you ever let it get to that point, you're finished. the squad has lost all respect for you, the fans have lost all respect for you and the only thing standing between you and the pitchforks is a man equally incompetent and equally as unaccountable. It's any wonder everyone under the sun is out for blood when the situation is not just so unacceptable but also so pathetic.

I don’t think Darius staying in the team is his choice.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Painin the Haas
  • FACTHUNT
  • Rambstien
  • bb_gun
  • marw
  • Alec
  • davidp
  • Aldo
  • Fozz
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.