Mar 4, 2008
good-Will-hunting-its-not-your-fault.jpg

Its not your fault, Seibold

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
i'm not sure where to put this, so i'll put it here.

Seibs has hired Peter Ryan as defence coach

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
The Gillo deal was mind boggling too and unlike Boyd, Gillo was a one club fan favourite.

I think they hoped he was going to be captain for a year or two to bridge the gap to a Carrigan captain future, but the injury was too much. This year shows we really needed him still

Though I'm biased and I love the man, so that deal doesn't bother me as much. Compunded with Boyd and Bird, it looks a lot worse

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
the courier mail saying it's starting with the match against the Knights

Cool. I remember his very effective defence and tackling. He was our defence coach ia while back?

Last edited:
Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Cool. I remember his very effective defence and tackling. He was our defence coach ia while back?

He came in the other year too. I hope this isn’t the same as last time where he came in for a week or two to ‘fix’ things, because it did f*ckall last time. As we hear ad nauseum from the likes of Tallis et all, defence is about attitude. It’s a cliché true and a boring one at that, but it’s true they have to work hard in defence and actually want to defend or they will be terrible at it.

It’s clear when you compare us to say the Roosters, we are far less passionate, far less professional, we look and often act downright dumb, and if all of this isn’t bad enough, we also look as if we have never even trained together most the time.

Hopefully Ryan can fix the defence quickly, but personally I think he needs to stay here all season. Our defence needs to be thoroughly overhauled from the ground up. The players seem to need a LOT of time to learn anything, let alone how important defence is and a couple of training sessions, is all they’ll get if he is only here for a couple of weeks...

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He came in the other year too. I hope this isn’t the same as last time where he came in for a week or two to ‘fix’ things, because it did f*ckall last time. As we hear ad nauseum from the likes of Tallis et all, defence is about attitude. It’s a cliché true and a boring one at that, but it’s true they have to work hard in defence and actually want to defend or they will be terrible at it.

It’s clear when you compare us to say the Roosters, we are far less passionate, far less professional, we look and often act downright dumb, and if all of this isn’t bad enough, we also look as if we have never even trained together most the time.

Hopefully Ryan can fix the defence quickly, but personally I think he needs to stay here all season. Our defence needs to be thoroughly overhauled from the ground up. The players seem to need a LOT of time to learn anything, let alone how important defence is and a couple of training sessions, is all they’ll get if he is only here for a couple of weeks...

So well put
[automerge]1592053537[/automerge]
i'm not sure where to put this, so i'll put it here.

Seibs has hired Peter Ryan as defence coach

It also shows that Seibs is willing to learn and adapt, even if it's to the bleeding obvious. Great move

Last edited:
Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
So well put
[automerge]1592053537[/automerge]

It also shows that Seibs is willing to learn and adapt, even if it's to the bleeding obvious. Great move

What does it say about our current defensive coach though? Assuming we actually have one of course...

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
What does it say about our current defensive coach though? Assuming we actually have one of course...

Parker, but missing due to COVID restrictions?
[automerge]1592055715[/automerge]
I think leading up to this year since 2015 has been our worst of player choices and decisions. So many bungled big $$$ choices.

I'm also worried to the future that we have too many guys on big money. Packing the scrum is costing us at least 4.0m per year. Bird and Milf taking up their contract options for next year is another 2.0. The only relief we get is Boyd's 700k from retiring this year. We have a serious budget mess to clean up and work through. Less big name players, more hungry players.

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Hopefully Ryan gives some extra tackling drills to the likes of Milford and Croft. I don’t think Milford in particular would have ever been shown how to tackle properly. Too much is focussed on his attacking game.

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
I think leading up to this year since 2015 has been our worst of player choices and decisions. So many bungled big $$$ choices.

I'm also worried to the future that we have too many guys on big money. Packing the scrum is costing us at least 4.0m per year. Bird and Milf taking up their contract options for next year is another 2.0. The only relief we get is Boyd's 700k from retiring this year. We have a serious budget mess to clean up and work through. Less big name players, more hungry players.
Yes . Its fine to say we lack experience but all our players with experience are underperforming and we need them off the books. Bird, Macca, Boyd, Kahu, Offa and Milford eating serious cash for little value. Boyd and Kahu go but we need to move Macca and Bird if we can and potentially Milford if need be.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

He is their forwards coach as I understand it?

We have Boyd, Kahu and Macca’s money available next year at this stage, assuming no-one else leaves, that will be a fair chunk of change to plug some of our holes.

I’d be on the look out for a genuine NRL starting quality left centre, if I were in recruiting at the club, we haven’t had one for a while...

Last edited:

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
He is their forwards coach as I understand it?

We have Boyd, Kahu and Macca’s money available next year at this stage, assuming no-one else leaves, that will be a fair chunk of change to plug some of our holes.

I’d be on the look out for a genuine NRL starting quality left centre, if I were in recruiting at the club, we haven’t had one for a while...

Maybe we dont have anyway dedicated currently :/

Those 3 combined i would assume is 1.3-1.4M. 2021 we then get Bird and Milf to re look at as well as Fifi and Glenn possibly retires?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Maybe we dont have anyway dedicated currently :/

Those 3 combined i would assume is 1.3-1.4M. 2021 we then get Bird and Milf to re look at as well as Fifi and Glenn possibly retires?

I’d be happy with Bird at left centre and that money spent on either a top quality fullback or hooker, I just don’t think those options will become available...

Like halfbacks as we are seeing with Dearden, plenty of teams will be chasing such players...

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I’d be happy with Bird at left centre and that money spent on either a top quality fullback or hooker, I just don’t think those options will become available...

Like halfbacks as we are seeing with Dearden, plenty of teams will be chasing such players...

What's wrong with Bird at FB? I thought he was terrific there until injured. Much prefer him at the back than at centre. He offers everything Isaako doesn't. Creativity and ball skills, and he is such a dangerous runner of the ball. If we have to play Isaako, why not in the centres with Staggs?

Actually, assuming Staggs matures quickly and improves his defensive reads I reckon he would make a devastating FB.

Last edited:
NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
What's wrong with Bird at FB? I thought he was terrific there until injured. Much prefer him at the back than at centre. He offers everything Isaako doesn't. Creativity and ball skills, and he is such a dangerous runner of the ball. If we have to play Isaako, why not in the centres with Staggs?

Actually, assuming Staggs matures quickly and improves his defensive reads I reckon he would make a devastating FB.
Although he looked good at fullback in the trials, I dont think bird will stay on beyond next year so we may not want to change our spine for just the single year only to have to restart forming combinations again.

As people have said, we need a team with balance. Looking at melbourne for example, they have a core group of players, and then a team built around that group. There are certain players that we have to keep and develop the team around them. Yes the rest of the team may not be world beaters but if they do their job it will be balanced and keep us within the cap

Active Now

• JamesC
  • Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.