It’s not Seibold’s fault

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I think we may have trouble keeping dearden.
He has said he wants to test the market which is very rare for a broncos player who the club has said they want to re-sign.
Can’t blame him though he is stuck behind Milford and Croft so has limited options here.
Would be a loss though.

Has he actually said that? Or is that what a journo has said?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If he were a racehorse, he’d have been shot and canned as dog food.

You're probably right. The latest research is not encouraging.

https://lens.monash.edu/@technology/2019/07/24/1375888/acl-injury-epidemic-dead-legs-tell-knee-tale

I wonder if the club is looking at such research and considering its options. Given his various injuries - elbow, shoulder and knees, maybe his body just isn't made for the demands of NRL.

Sadly, this suggests a bleak NRL future for Jack and of course cap implications for us

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Yep I think Madge would have been a better choice than Siebold or Walters.

I’m genuinely interested to know what Madge is showing at the Tigers that lead people to these thoughts?

KnToad

KnToad

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2013
I’m genuinely interested to know what Madge is showing at the Tigers that lead people to these thoughts?

Just think he has a bit more experience having been a head coach for many years and having actually won a premiership.
He has a reputation for being a no nonsense hardhead which might be just what a bunch of kids who think they’re better than they really are need.
You don’t think these might be factors....?

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
You're probably right. The latest research is not encouraging.

https://lens.monash.edu/@technology/2019/07/24/1375888/acl-injury-epidemic-dead-legs-tell-knee-tale

I wonder if the club is looking at such research and considering its options. Given his various injuries - elbow, shoulder and knees, maybe his body just isn't made for the demands of NRL.

Sadly, this suggests a bleak NRL future for Jack and of course cap implications for us

I'm a broken record at this point, but it's one of the dumbest signings ever. Again it's not Jack's fault, so I don't hold it against him, but we signed a centre/fullback/five-eighth/lock/whatever when we were dying for a halfback.

The guy has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and while he's not alone (afaik Rhys Kennedy has the same) he also came broken and on a 3+1 option. Four years and 700k+ is FAR too long and FAR too much for a guy his age, that yes has played Origin and was part of the suspect Sharks GF team, but is nowhere near in the top 25 or arguably 50 players in the league.

The Sharks were dodgy as ****, unsurprisingly, but someone also didn't do their due diligence and get an independent medical exam before signing him. And if that's not a thing, it should be. Trust no one.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I'm a broken record at this point, but it's one of the dumbest signings ever. Again it's not Jack's fault, so I don't hold it against him, but we signed a centre/fullback/five-eighth/lock/whatever when we were dying for a halfback.

The guy has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and while he's not alone (afaik Rhys Kennedy has the same) he also came broken and on a 3+1 option. Four years and 700k+ is FAR too long and FAR too much for a guy his age, that yes has played Origin and was part of the suspect Sharks GF team, but is nowhere near in the top 25 or arguably 50 players in the league.

The Sharks were dodgy as ****, unsurprisingly, but someone also didn't do their due diligence and get an independent medical exam before signing him. And if that's not a thing, it should be. Trust no one.

I agree it has turned out to be a shitty signing and with the benefit of hindsight, we’d have been much better off never making it.

But let’s be real, Bird was one of the brightest stars in the game at the time we signed him, we had to pay so much because he had heaps of clubs attempting to sign him and we pulled off what we thought was a coup at the time, getting him when other clubs couldn’t. The Sharks are dodgy yes, but they were trying every bit as hard to keep him, as we were to signing him. Remember all the Rothfield articles?

We did do due diligence, we were aware of his long term injury and his sternum injury and were prepared to cop that. Neither his sternum or his arthritis is why he has been out for two seasons though.

Back to back knee injuries are. These can happen to anyone, unfortunately they have happened to him, twice.

Hopefully he has a big year, next year, or that will be it for him, I think.

A shame, he was really good and would have added some real quality to our team.

Last edited:
Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
I have no issue with the Bird deal. Had he played some games for the past few years it wouldn’t even be a talking point. I hope he stays and slays it next year.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Milford has taken up his player option and Bird is likely to take up his, neither of their salaries will be coming off the books in 2021 unless they're released early.

I think Bird already has taken his option.
[automerge]1592110259[/automerge]

I think i must sound like a broken record as well when it comes to Bird because his signing didnt come at the cost of a halfback. We signed Bird, then we were still throwing money at Ash Taylor for about 5 months after we signed Bird. I've never quite worked out why people think it was Bird or a half back. It just wasnt the case.

Last edited:
Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I think Bird already has taken his option.
[automerge]1592110259[/automerge]

I think i must sound like a broken record as well when it comes to Bird because his signing didnt come at the cost of a halfback. We signed Bird, then we were still throwing money at Ash Taylor for about 5 months after we signed Bird. I've never quite worked out why people think it was Bird or a half back. It just wasnt the case.

So why didn’t we sign a halfback then? Surely Taylor wasn’t the only halfback on the market. And we’ve seen early releases become the norm

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
So why didn’t we sign a halfback then? Surely Taylor wasn’t the only halfback on the market. And we’ve seen early releases become the norm

There weren't a lot of options on the market. The Broncos wanted Taylor, but the Gold Coast offered him a ridiculous contract to keep him at the club. The Broncos then wanted to keep Benji, but Marshall got the opportunity to end his career at Balmain so he took it. The other option was Green who was offered a three year deal with the Warriors when you'd only want him for the one.

In the scheme of things, Kodi was a better half than what was available and deserved the opportunity to push his case. By the end of the year, he was one of the form players of the competition and went onto represent his country.

The Broncos did sign the NSW Under 20s half Troy Dargan as a blue chip prospect. Unfortunate Dargan suffered a few set-backs and didn't really make a case for himself.

The Broncos then went ahead and signed the following NSW Under 20s half and Junior Kangaroo Sean O'Sullivan. Unfortunately both players got caught up in the Bennett-Seibold circus and both were pushed aside for Tom Dearden who barely had an off-season with the club.

Keep in mind, the Broncos had Paix, T. Boyd, Dearden and S. Walker coming through so it wasn't like they didn't have anyody coming through. T Boyd won the Under 18s, Paix took out the 20s, Dearden won schoolboys and Walker was making waves in the GPS system.

When Bennett first came to the club, he made the comment that the playing group was too much alike. They needed a mixture which is why he brought Adam Blair and James Gavet to the club, two aggressive forwards who won't take a backwards step and in Blair's case does the 1%ers. In Bird, Bennett wanted to bring in a winner who wants the ball in hand when the game is on the line and isn't afraid to fail. The Sharks had barely scratched the surface on what Bird was capable of and we saw glimpses of it that year when he went to fullback and ripped Canberra apart. However, there were plenty of warning signs and yes I'd rate it up alongside Joel Clinton as the worst signing in club history.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
We did that in round 13 last year. This definitely doesn’t prove that Maguire is any worse

Definitely doesn’t prove that he is any better either, which to my understanding was the point.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Definitely doesn’t prove that he is any better either, which to my understanding was the point.
Your point, yes. Foordy’s point was that he lost to the Titans and therefore hasn’t shown anything positive. I’m not arguing for or against at this point, hence why I responded to him with a fact and not your original comment with an opinion.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

We didnt sign one because Ash Taylor was the one we wanted and we didnt get him. The other options were summed up perfectly by @Big Pete .

Last edited:

Active Now

• Galah
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Bish
  • Manofoneway
  • Morkel
  • Shane Tronc
  • Alec
  • Kev_Guz
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Jazza
  • Allo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.