Ivan, Ivan, Ivan

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Sweet then Jeba, you obviously know who was available and the length of the contracts for the players in all the clubs. That is not information I have available to me. I have no clue as to who was available so I'm only guessing. We must have been slow off the mark then as we spent our money over the last few years on youngsters on cheap contracts and the few superstars we have.

I just would have targeted different players than Cullen and Henjak did. I'm old fashioned.

Without giving too much away, which organisation or network are you with(or how did you get the info)that allows such detailed knowledge as to who was available for hire over the last 2 years ??

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Ummmm, any club's web forum will be discussing who is off contract for their clubs. This forum does as well. It's not exactly hidden information and easy enough to keep track of. For example, Alex Glenn is signed until the end of 2012. Matt Gillett til the end of 2013. Quite public knowledge really.

Going back to last year when BHQ was discussing which front rower we should sign. We had a look at a few who were off contract and pretty much everyone agreed that there isn't anyone worth signing, apart from Matt Scott who was never going to leave the Cowboys anyway

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Justin Poore was another but we were never really in with a shot anyways.

T

TLCC

BRL Player
Mar 12, 2008
Pretty sure Sam Burgess was suggested as well.....would have been a great buy!

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
As far as i am concerned, what we need, given Hannant next year, is a front row which is coached to off load so our our killer back row, and killer back line gets lots of quality ball, and, to move as one in defence, to attack the defence and smash them. Ivan Ivan Ivan.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
rnabokov said:
As far as i am concerned, what we need, given Hannant next year, is a front row which is coached to off load so our our killer back row, and killer back line gets lots of quality ball, and, to move as one in defence, to attack the defence and smash them. Ivan Ivan Ivan.

We could learn sooo much from proper tackling techniques such as those used by Tunza and Tongue.

The only reason props like Burgess, Moi Moi, Horo and the like look so good are because the defence waits for them instead of nullifying their momentum, and then driving into them from under-up into the rib cage.

I repeat: look at how Tongue consistently put Webcke on his back.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Jeba said:
Ummmm, any club's web forum will be discussing who is off contract for their clubs. This forum does as well. It's not exactly hidden information and easy enough to keep track of. For example, Alex Glenn is signed until the end of 2012. Matt Gillett til the end of 2013. Quite public knowledge really.

Going back to last year when BHQ was discussing which front rower we should sign. We had a look at a few who were off contract and pretty much everyone agreed that there isn't anyone worth signing, apart from Matt Scott who was never going to leave the Cowboys anyway

Fair enough then Jeb. As I'm not employed to trawl the web sites of each club and learn who was available or not, and will never be in a position to talk to the player managers I can only offer the solution I did. As I wrote, I'm old fashioned and believe with effort (and if in the position of purchasing officer of the Broncs) I could and would have searched for the types of player we needed,imo.

I believe that 2 years ago we should have been able to attract the right quality player to our club. We never have had trouble in the past getting players to Brisbane, on the contrary we had all kinds asking for a shot. These ranged from juniors/novices to seasoned veterans just asking for a chance to play for the Broncs. That has most likely stopped happening(cannot be certain though) because we are losing our shine.

When we lost Bennett we lost the greatest attraction we had, namely to be coached by the best and play in one of the greatest league teams worldwide. St George have no trouble getting players and we all know why.

Given that scenario we have had to work much harder and largely have failed to attract the right type, we are just another team these days. What we don't have is a valid excuse for not having learned the lessons of the past.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Huge. said:
When we lost Bennett we lost the greatest attraction we had, namely to be coached by the best and play in one of the greatest league teams worldwide. St George have no trouble getting players and we all know why.
so hannant and inglis went to St George did they?

people still want to play for the Broncos, and until we consistently miss the finals they will continue to do so. and i wouldnt really say st george have no trouble getting players because of bennett. 90% of the players in their team for 2009/10 were there before bennett signed.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Whatever AP.....debate is fine but you are not one of the people I consider worthy of it. We have lost our shine, st george are successful and after tonight the long knives will be unsheathed.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Huge. said:
Whatever AP.....debate is fine but you are not one of the people I consider worthy of it. We have lost our shine, st george are successful and after tonight the long knives will be unsheathed.
ha.

the one person who agreed with you about Nutley, yet im not worthy of your debating skills that really do mostly consist of putting your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalalalalalala im not listening"? pull the other one big fella.

sure we've lost SOME of our shine, but that was the NRLs plan. they dont want one team standing out above the others. but we still have that 'i want to play for the Broncos' sheen that we have always had. players know if they come here theyll be taken care of by third parties, and then they have the Thoroughbreds on the side to help them out with everything. they know they get to play in the most successful club of the modern era, and they know that their representative chances increase when they play for the Broncos.

wayne bennetts influence over all of this had been seriously waning for years. it was more that players wanted to play for the CLUB, not the coach. these days its all about what a club can do for an individuals bank account/status, and players know that Brisbane is the best club in regards to that.

St George are successful? they won last years premiership did they? theyve won this years have they? minor premierships are good and all, but noone remembers the minor premiers at the end of the day. people do remember the team that flew high all year and then got bundled out of the finals without so much as a whimper though, which is why people remember the dragons from last year, and from the looks of it, this year as well. the wheels are already starting to fall off their wagon now that the other teams have shifted into 'finals gear', while St George are still stuck in regular season mode.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Serious....you....you...backed my call...???

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
The Rock said:
90%? Not quite. Another one of your great exaggerators. Maybe around 70% is more like it. So in fact, out of their current roster, around 30% of them were recruited under the coaching of Wayne Bennett. That's quite a lot.

Darius Boyd. Michael Weyman. Mark Gasnier. Neville Costigan. Jeremy Smith. Some big names there. Then throw in Luke Priddis who's done an outstanding job while Nathan Fien has been injured. You can also throw Nathan Fien into that list as well.

In fact, 35% of the current squad of 17 that is going to be playing out there on Sunday was recruited under Bennett.

Huge is right. We have lot a bit of aura.
can you confirm that those players wouldnt have gone to St George without Bennett being there?

Boyd? wouldnt have, ill give you that.
Gasnier? he wouldve gone back regardless.
Costigan? im sure he really wanted to be coached by Bennett again :roll: . he went where the money was. remember, bennetts the guy who kicked him out of a club. wont give you that one.
smith? melbourne couldnt afford to keep him "under the salary cap" ( [icon_lol1. ). he even specifically said that Bennett wasnt a significant factor - "Smith yesterday said Wayne Bennett's arrival as Dragons coach from next season was not a significant factor for him, even though they had struck up a good relationship when Bennett acted as an adviser to the New Zealand team earlier this year." ( http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news ... 94450.aspx ). wont give you that.
Priddis? 100% Bennett, ill give that.
Fien? nope, moved to saints for family reasons - "Fien says moving to Wollongong rather than to the bright lights of Sydney appealed as more of a family friendly option." ( http://www.radiosport.co.nz/SportsNews/ ... ?id=157784 )
Weyman? well i havent seen anywhere where bennetts name even came up, only that St Georges offer was and i quote "considerably higher than the Raiders" ( http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 82961.aspx ). wont give that either.

just because they joined after bennett came doesnt mean they went there because of him. its generally all about the money, or their family. yes we have lost a bit of our aura - noones denying that. but to say that we're not a club that people want to come to anymore is just stupid.

and yes Huge, i was pretty much the only one who backed your call on nutley. it seems you dont remember who i actually am lol.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Costigan wasn't booted out of the club by WB you farking idiot. Head Coaches don't fire people from organisations, you will say anything to try and prove your opinions.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Well...I'm just going to have to pull my head in and be a little more humble. :oops: If I did not ty at the time, I do now. Also apologise for the nastiness of my reply. It's just you can be so obstinate and infuriating at times !! [eusa_doh Qualities needless to say I highly admire [icon_lol1.

On this one though we are at opposite ends. I don't think for one second Bennetts lost his aura rather I believe with his move to St George he has a new legion of fans and supporters. He stepped into the heart of the firefight and has emerged as Conqueror. He has won them over and gotten support and endorsement form the public and media alike.

What is most telling though is the obvious respect the players down Mexico way have for him. Spontaneous unsolicited endorsements at every opportunity given his troops. Something conspicuous by its absence here in Brisbane... God, I miss him....... :cry:

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
The Brizz said:
Costigan wasn't booted out of the club by WB you farking idiot. Head Coaches don't fire people from organisations, you will say anything to try and prove your opinions.
lol

if wayne bennett wanted someone gone, they were gone. if wayne bennett wanted someone, we tried to get them. thats pretty much how clubs work anyway - if a coach doesnt want a player there, they generally let them go.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Costigan made several serious code of conduct breaches so the CEO terminated his contract, some of the sh!t you post is so stupid.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Allo
  • Lurker
  • NSW stables
  • sooticus
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.