OFFICIAL Jack Bird goes down

So simple right fellas?
Here is a list of examples Of early retirement due to injuries of Birds kind.
Ben Creagh - forced to retire due to chronic knee injury.
Nik Kosef - forced to retire due to repeated knee recons.
Anthony Watmough - forced to retire due to repeated knee injury.
Kyle Stanley - repeated knee recons forced early retirement.
Just to name a few who had careers cut short for the most part due to repeated knee injuries, and none of these blokes had Rheumatoid Arthritis.

So its entirely possible for Bird to be medically retired by a doctor, regardless if he wants to play on or not.

everyone of them had to agree to retire ...

everyone of them had to agree to retire ...
Right, after being told by medical professionals that they wont be able to play.
Its semantics at that point.
They could scream till they are blue in the face that they dont want to retire, but if they cant fucking run, they cant fucking play.
These are all examples of medical retirements.
You literally said its impossible for Bird to be medically retired, which is 100% wrong.

I would say there is a good chance that this will be an interrupted season due to covoid-19. The NBA season has now been suspended officially.

This is what i was getting at.
Of course Bird doesn't want to retire. He may not have a choice.
It has nothing to do with when he signed a contract, when he first got injured or anything like that.
But if his knee is shot, and he cant run, that will be grounds for a medical retirement regardless if Foordy can grasp this concept or not.
[automerge]1583987066[/automerge]

If the shoe fits. And again, there is nothing simple with this Injury, that can be potentially career ending, depending on the outcome of the rehab and the impact his arthritis has on his recovery.

How bad is his Arthritis? Just because he has it, doesnt mean its severe. He was getting the fortnightly injections at Cronulla ( probably Humira, which is the most common medication for it ) and they pretty much stopped it being an issue. They are so effective it caused his symptoms to disappear. People are jumping the gun blaming his arthritis issue without knowing the severity of it. I doubt its having much of an impact tbh on his ligaments, but we just dont know. They will either find something when they do the surgery, or something will appear in his rehab period. The other option is he just makes a full recovery.

How bad is his Arthritis? Just because he has it, doesnt mean its severe. He was getting the fortnightly injections at Cronulla ( probably Humira, which is the most common medication for it ) and they pretty much stopped it being an issue. They are so effective it caused his symptoms to disappear. People are jumping the gun blaming his arthritis issue without knowing the severity of it. I doubt its having much of an impact tbh on his ligaments, but we just dont know. They will either find something when they do the surgery, or something will appear in his rehab period. The other option is he just makes a full recovery.
Honestly im not sure how bad it is, all i know is its lifelong and gets progressively worse even with treatment.

Honestly im not sure how bad it is, all i know is its lifelong and gets progressively worse even with treatment.

My mother in law who lives with us has RA as well. She was on the humira but it pretty much caused her to lose all sense of taste and smell and has only started to come back after going on a different medication.

Not sure how severe Jack’s RA is or whether there is any link to any of his injuries but one thing is for sure that it sure as **** wouldn’t help.

I actually remember when he first came to the club and his story came out about his RA and my first thought was ‘**** me I hope the club has done its due diligence on giving him a rich long term contract knowing their maybe risks associated with his condition”

Be interesting to see what his rheumatologist thinks about all of this.

Probably expecting too much of the NRL tbh. Comparing it to the most professionally run sport competition in the world (NBA) is wishful thinking.
Exactly.
At this point, I’m almost certain the NRL brass won’t have even heard of coronavirus, much less have plans in place around how to respond to it.

Last edited:
FFS.... this guy is a DUD.. cut him loose asap.. wasted millions on him for no return. Could have developed half a dozen good young Queenslanders ........ instead we got a useless new south welshman. Thanks Benny

FFS.... this guy is a DUD.. cut him loose asap.. wasted millions on him for no return. Could have developed half a dozen good young Queenslanders ........ instead we got a useless new south welshman. Thanks Benny
Ah hindsight. It’s a wonderful thing.

Exactly.
At this point, I’m almost certain the NRL brass won’t have even heard of coronavirus, much less have plans in place around how to respond to it.

Coronavirus? NRL: What's that?
You know, COVID-19? NRL: Nup, is that a government law?
Wuhan Corona virus? NRL: Why are you calling my hun? And I'm pretty sure our beer sponsor is someone else.
China outbreak? NRL: Nah China isn't really our thing, too expensive, we go with plastic.
Virus? NRL: You mean the news stories about our idiot players? They are popular.

Time to walk away.
[automerge]1584052733[/automerge]
Ah hindsight. It’s a wonderful thing.

The guy needs support, etc but there were a lot of people who were not overly keen on him going to Brissy before he came.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there's not a lot of fake outrage in here?

There aren't too many attacks on him as a person - I'm taking the "**** him off" posts as a outlet of frustration against: his long contract; his pre-existing arthritis, the little gift of the unresolved sternum injury form Cronulla; his large pay packet sitting on the sidelines; etc.

Wanting that situation to go away isn't the same as walking up and spitting on him because you hate the bloke personally. "**** him off" really isn't a personal attack on Jack, it's the (ongoing) situation.

Pity, I was really looking forward to see what a fullback with a bit of mongrel in him would have brought to us.

From what Im hearing from through the grapevine, Jack Bird wont take up his player option here at the Bronx. I know these aren't state secrets, but what do we do with the money for 2021.

From what Im hearing from through the grapevine, Jack Bird wont take up his player option here at the Bronx. I know these aren't state secrets, but what do we do with the money for 2021.
Strange. It’d be a pretty big gamble for a club to take him on after virtually three years out of the game.

Strange. It’d be a pretty big gamble for a club to take him on after virtually three years out of the game.

Agree.
There is no way another club would sign him at his current money he would be far to big a risk given his history.
Only way I could see him leaving would be if we subsidised his contract and I have no idea what the clubs view is on that.

When does he have to make a call about taking up his option for next year?

Very interesting avatar Mr. Broncos fan...

Bit of a masochist are we?

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Jazza
  • kman
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • cento
  • Justwin
  • Mustafur
  • kiwi2
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manifesto
  • Organix
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Porthoz
  • leon.bott
  • sooticus
  • Wolfie
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.