Josh McGuire signs with Cowboys - Immediate Switch

Hello Mcfly, salary cap, anyone home Mcfly.:treadmill:
The guy on the tread mill gets further than trying to explain this.

Sure it sounds easy when you say it like that BUT, we can't cancel contracts without paying them out in full or part which we carry under the cap.
Our young guys are the future as you point out until they don't measure up then someone else will be here calling for a cull.

Yes that is generally how sports works

So how do these things work?
“Fancy meeting you here, Josh. Look, I know you’re under contract and we’re legally not allowed to talk to you but we think you’re a really good player and if you weren’t under contract, we’d definitely like to talk to you about offering you a four year deal worth $3.2 mill. Anyhoo, bye”.

LOL.

Guys a full clean out of mediocrity is what we need. We are the Broncos, the Man United of the NRL... but haven't won a premiership in 12 seasons!! When I was a kid the Broncos were genuine title contenders every year.

Now we have lost our aura and think close enough is good enough... we must be more ruthless or risk losing it forever.

Glenn is solid but a shadow of the damaging hole runner / line breaker he was years ago = perfect Titan.
McGuire is decent but error prone and a known grub = Will look good in Cowboys colours especially at 800k per year.
Kahu was talked up immensely as a kid but apart from a few clever little plays never reached his potential (yeah yeah injuries etc bring out the violins...)

It's easy to say "the Broncos are loyal" when we are talking about top class players like Locky, Walters, Kevvie, Langer, Parker, Webke, Tallis etc. Apply that same attitude to blokes like the above three and you don't win premierships.

While we are at it... show the door to Macca, Boyd (peaked in 2010...seeya) and Milford (unless he loses 10kg and potentially moves to FB, or takes a massive pay cut). Give Gillett a season to return to form or show him the door too.

Our future is with our young forward pack and guys like Staggs, Oates, Issako, Roberts, Niko is looking the goods too. While we are at it, sign Shaun Johnson and Damien Cooke.

Now watch the trophy cabinet roll in.

Never seen your posts before but I like your style son! You call it how it is and don't sugarcoat the issues like some Bennett devotees here.

“Fancy meeting you here, Josh. Look, I know you’re under contract and we’re legally not allowed to talk to you but we think you’re a really good player and if you weren’t under contract, we’d definitely like to talk to you about offering you a four year deal worth $3.2 mill. Anyhoo, bye”.
It's not illegal, or against NRL rules if that's what you meant. They just can't sign elsewhere until the final season of their contract. Contact his manager, we're offering this much, get a release and it's a done deal.

Easy.

Complete pie in the sky prediction for mine is Sam Burgess and Damien Cook will follow Seibold up here. So the squad will be this in 2020 (fan fiction more than anything else):

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Bird/Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Shibasaki
6. Milford
7. Nikorima/O'Sullivan
8. Lodge
9. Cook
10. Joe O
11. TPJ
12. Gillett (c)
13. Burgess

14. Su'A
15. Haas
16. Carrigan
17. Fifita

Dat shit would make me wet. Fairly confident that Boyd will retire next year, and I would not be against offloading Bird for Staggs and the extra salary cap space. Losing Pearson to Merge was a shame cause I would've had him in that 5 comfortably.

Last edited:
Complete pie in the sky prediction for mine is Sam Burgess and Damien Cook will follow Seibold up here. So the squad will be this in 2020 (fan fiction more than anything else):

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Bird/Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Shibasaki
6. Milford
7. Nikorima/O'Sullivan
8. Lodge
9. Cook
10. Joe O
11. TPJ
12. Gillett (c)
13. Burgess

14. Su'A
15. Haas
16. Carrigan
17. Fifita

Dat shit would make me wet. Fairly confident that Boyd will retire next year, and I would not be against offloading Bird for Staggs and the extra salary cap space. Losing Pearson to Merge was a shame cause I would've had him in that 5 comfortably.

Burgess just re-signed with Souths for a mil a year, and Boyd came out just this week saying he isn’t retiring anytime soon and will stay at the bronx.

So what's the actual reason for him leaving?

If I were to have a guess, I'd say we gave him the tap, much like we did with Adam Blair.. and much like we've done with Alex Glenn & Jordan Kahu.

The proof is in the pudding really, there was no rumour of Cowboys having interest in McGuire previously, and there was no rumour of the Cowboys planning on offering McGuire a 3 year deal after his current deal expires. The fact that the Cowboys signed him immediately to a 4 year deal, without a back and forth playing out in the media (Like there usually is when a club loses someone prematurely that they don't want to lose) says to me that we told Josh he could pursue other offers and if he finds one that's suitable for 2019, we won't stand in his way.

Big loss for mine.

He has been unjustly criticised on here by far too many.

Say what you like; we may have a pack that is young, exciting, talented, big, mobile, full of potential or whatever other adjective you want to use, but one thing that leaves when McGuire goes is our only mongrel.

Backs against the wall, tough pricks like McGuire are what you want and need.

A real favourite player of mine, I’ll definitely find it hard seeing him in a Cowboys jersey.

In other news, I doubt he’ll be playing 13 at the Cows with JTII up there.

I also think this may mean Bird plays 13 for us, it’s certainly possible.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was already officially declared that the Broncos would not be able to offer both McGuire and Glenn the same sized contract as they are currently on. Exactly the same as was said to Blair. They were all welcome to stay, but if they were able to get big $$ longer term deals elsewhere, the club would grant them releases out of respect.

Nothing mysterious or conspiratorial about it. If it was about the “rat” issue, he would have been punted after 2017.

And by releasing these players before their inevitable age-related decline, they can get decent deals and we don’t need to contribute to their wages while playing for rivals.

It's not illegal, or against NRL rules if that's what you meant. They just can't sign elsewhere until the final season of their contract. Contact his manager, we're offering this much, get a release and it's a done deal.

Easy.
Well, that’s strictly not true.

Under the NRL's current anti-tampering policy, players can negotiate with rival clubs from November 1 the year before their contract ends.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/nrl-changes-rules-to-restrict-back-ended-contracts/

But, we all know it happens. Managers talk to clubs, etc. In essence, the rule is a bit of a farce.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/nrl-changes-rules-to-restrict-back-ended-contracts/

But, we all know it happens. Managers talk to clubs, etc. In essence, the rule is a bit of a farce.
I agree with that rule being a bit of a farce, with the more serious rule being that clubs can't conspire for a player to break their contract.

In this instance I suspect broncos simply told McGuire that at the end of his current deal either he won't be re-signed or he won't be upgraded/same wage... therefore if he can find a better deal they wouldn't stand in his way should he want to chase it.

McGuire then tells his manager to start looking around... club and player mutually agree to cancel current contract, cows register new contract and off we all go.

Last edited:

Actually, the idiot who wrote that article is the one in the wrong... as the rule is that a player cannot be SIGNED more than a year from the end of his contract (which under the NRL is always the 1st of November).

There is no rule preventing players from discussing their future at any time in their contract, they just cannot act upon it.

I would have tried to at LEAST keep him for another year. Our inexperience in the forwards cost us big time last year...now it's even worse!

Yes but more like -
‘ Now Josh I’m your manager and you only have two yrs left on your Bronco contract and you will be 29 years of age when it finishes. They have a group of exceptional young forwards breathing down your neck who will be that much more experienced and better than you by then. I can get you a four year contract with the Cowboys who have nobody - nobody at all to trouble you even in four years time - what about that. I’ll give you 15 minutes to think about it’

I think TPJ has mongrel in him, but more of a cheeky mongrel than just scummy mongrel.

I hope someone has a giant picture of rat boy in the stands when we play the cowboys at Suncorp next.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.