Josh McGuire signs with Cowboys - Immediate Switch

Tbh I wasn't really a fan of McGuire - personality wise. He came across to me as a bit of a grub and a bogan. The club he is going to suits him quite nicely. Also expect a biff in round 2. No doubt McGuire will start it.

Now get rid of Macca plz.
Expect Joffa to sit him on his arse.

Who cares where they have houses though? These buggers could own 10 of them for all we know.

This decision was based purely on Joshua McGuire's best interests. He was not going to get the money he wanted on his next contract and would have had to have taken a huge pay cut. He was given the option to end his contract early to earn more money because he probably would not be here after the current contract ended. This decision was made by the club not just one man. The Broncos would have wanted to keep him on his next contract but it was going to be a serious down grade that just wouldn't be fair to him and not what he deserved. He was disappointed but also grateful to be give early notice. It worked out best for the Broncos and Joshua.

This decision was based purely on Joshua McGuire's best interests. He was not going to get the money he wanted on his next contract and would have had to have taken a huge pay cut. He was given the option to end his contract early to earn more money because he probably would not be here after the current contract ended. This decision was made by the club not just one man. The Broncos would have wanted to keep him on his next contract but it was going to be a serious down grade that just wouldn't be fair to him and not what he deserved. He was disappointed but also grateful to be give early notice. It worked out best for the Broncos and Joshua.

Certainly gives the circumstances some perspective. An all round, pragmatic and sensible decision by all parties by the sounds of it. In this case, the board and whoever else was involved in the decision to give this move approval should be applauded I think.

Last edited:
Sounds like Glenn is also gone..that’s a bit of experience that we have lost if true between them 2, Thaiday and Sims.
Surely we will put the $ into locking up the young fellas, and not going after someone like Napa...

Sounds like Glenn is also gone..that’s a bit of experience that we have lost if true between them 2, Thaiday and Sims.
Surely we will put the $ into locking up the young fellas, and not going after someone like Napa...

Hopefully some of the money saved from Mcguire's contract will go towards actually buying, oh, I don't know, let me see, an actual halfback. What a novel idea that would be hey Uncle Wayne.

Last edited:
Hopefully some of the money saved from Mcguire's contract will go towards actually buying, oh, I don't know, let me see, an actual halfback. What a novel idea that would be hey Uncle Wayne.
I’d be very surprised if Wayne has anything to do with this. My guess is that it is the board ensuring they can lock up the likes of TPJ, Fafita, Lodge, Offa, Oates and Carrigan - how are all going to be chased by clubs.
The club can’t keep everyone. It’s funny reading all the social media articles, saying it’s everyone walking away from the club because of the coaching saga. If we were to loose TPJ, Lodge, Fafita, Offa or Oates we would be bagged for not being able to lock up these young guns.
Can’t win.
However, if the board now fail to lock up most of these guys, and we do in fact see 4 or 5 or even more blokes leave/not re sign, then the board are going to have a lot to answer for.

Last edited:
It's always disappointing to lose a loyal club servant, especially after a 194 games of service. As I wrote the other day, his last season may have been below his best, but McGuire was one of the Broncos most consistent performers and had a knack of turning up for the big moments.

I thought he over-achieved when he was selected as an Origin lock forward. I always saw him as a stop-gap at club level and didn't think he'd have that extra gear in him. Then mid-way through the second half of Game II 2017, he splits the game wide open with a big surge that brings the Maroons into it and it wasn't much longer until he won a World Cup with the Australian team.

Even before then, his 2011 really shocked me. Despite receiving all the raps, I didn't see the big deal in Josh at 20s. Maybe it was a case of only seeing a handful of games, but what struck me about his game was his willingness to pass the ball instead of running it up. Despite looking like a young Webcke in the middle, he played softer. Fast forward to 2011 where at 21 years of age he's ripping into every forward pack in the competition and was right up there with Matulino as the form front rower of the competition.

It seemed like in 2011-12 there was nothing he couldn't do. Griffin was similar to Wayne in that he rarely showed any emotion in the coach's box, but the one time I remember him getting animated was during a double header against Manly where Josh put in a mid-range kick and it resulted in an easy try, it was incredible.

I can't fault anyone in this situation. I'm happy for Josh that he was able to secure his family's future, happy for the Broncos since it gives them the opportunity to cycle through their prospects and I'm even happy for the Cowboys who now have a much stronger rotation. I still think McGuire has plenty to offer and I think he'll be a great fit for the Cowboys who desperately needed some fresh blood in their front row rotation.
That is so well thought out and written and very true

No team wins with so many young guys. I am not happy that we are back in the rebuild stage while other clubs are signing Cooper Cronks, losing nobody and winning premierships. This club has confused the shit out of me this year.

We'll miss his experience and his heart, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the past couple of years. A good move for both parties I feel.

Has my well wishes. Hopefully the fresh change can get him playing the type of game he made his name with.

We'll miss his experience and his heart, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the past couple of years. A good move for both parties I feel.

Has my well wishes. Hopefully the fresh change can get him playing the type of game he made his name with.

He was great in 2017, it's just his 2018 that was a bit of a bummer. I can't even blame him for the 4th tackle runs that people hate, it's clearly part of the game plan (for whatever reason).

So who was the mole that leaked his text to the players?

Great news and also Alex Glenn is going to Titans which makes it even better. Two solid players who are past their best. Bottom line is they were solid average 1st graders and we won nothing with them. IMO unless you are a new signing or kid coming up like majority of ours are ie an established veteran and we haven’t won, it’s clean the decks. We shouldn’t be accepting of mediocrity like we have for 12 years.

He was great in 2017, it's just his 2018 that was a bit of a bummer. I can't even blame him for the 4th tackle runs that people hate, it's clearly part of the game plan (for whatever reason).

No real reason just Wayne’s game plan that hasn’t changed in 20 years

Active Now

• kman
  • broncomax
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dazza 92
  • Brotherdu
  • Stix
  • broncsgoat
  • Kev_Guz
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Socnorb
  • Aldo
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.