Justin Hodges

fenomeno said:
I think Hunt could have gone on to be a great player if he stayed with us. He was definitely on his way.

Potentially, yeah.

I think that's where the line between great and potentially great gets blurred very significantly.

Coxy said:
fenomeno said:
I think Hunt could have gone on to be a great player if he stayed with us. He was definitely on his way.

Potentially, yeah.

I think that's where the line between great and potentially great gets blurred very significantly.

He may have gone on to captain us, with a lot of years left in him, the way he was playing, i have little doubt he'd be considered a great had he finished off his career with us.

I have little doubt Danny Bampton would've become the Broncos' best centre if he hadn't have fucked his knees in 2000....

Purely speculation ;-)

Hunt was definitely on his way. He's fallen short...for now.

Kimmorley has played 14 seasons in the top grade, played numerous Origins, won a premiership, won Test series

Aside from playing 14 seasons, what has Kimmorley done that Hodges hasn't?

Coxy said:
fenomeno said:

Potentially, yeah.

I do, however, think that he did enough in league that if he has a successful career in AFL he'll be one of Australia's great athletes.

Has nothing on the great Steve Renouf. Hodges is still a class player though.

I think it goes without saying that The Great One is a great player.

Everyone who has been fortunate enough to have the pleasure of seeing The Great One play for the Broncos should feel blessed. He is a champ, 2006 was god-like, actually he was god in 2006, 2007 he carried the team week-after week, 2008 consistently an inspiration, made anyone who was lucky enough to play beside him, a better player. In 2009 he was a shining star in the team, when he was injured you cold tell the entire team didn't play as well, when he plays he brings an immediate sense of confidence and enthusiasm to the team that only Lockyer (The Greatest One) can match.

He doesn't use speed, he uses football smarts, his step and players around him. You only need to notice how much he does for the team, dummy half running, Lockyer passes to him almost every set, he is our go to man in attack, no doubt about that, maybe not when he returns but pre-2010 it certainly was the case. Look at the Broncos highlights reels for 06 onwards and you will see The Great One over and over.

It saddens me that he may not ever return to his best and may leave us next year. I really hope Hodges can return to his best because at his best he is lethal and very important to us. Without question he is one of the best centres to wear the Broncos jersey and if not for the amount of amazing once in a generation players we have had, he would also be right up there as one of the best to play for the club.

The excitement of seeing the great one line up alongside Inglis in the centres is sure to have Kleenex achieving record breaking tissue sales.

Coxy said:
I have little doubt Danny Bampton would've become the Broncos' best centre if he hadn't have **** his knees in 2000....

Purely speculation ;-)

In absolute honesty, I couldn't consider him a great of the game. He's simply been injured too much through his career and has never really been great at rep level. However I have no doubt he is one of the great broncos players, not right up there but definitely up there, which is huge because the Broncos have that many standout players it's so hart to really be a legend of the club, like Lockyer. Lockyer is the only current player in our squad who will retire as a real champion of the game and future immortal without a doubt in the world.

Broncospwn, I'm as much of a fan of Hodges as you are, but please don't call him 'The Great One'. [icon_lol1.

Smith a champion? mmmm...

Kimmorley top 10 players of the past decade is a big call - not sure if he would be in my top 10. Good player - certainly better player than the media makes him our to be. That is the thing - misconception with media sometimes where they overhype/under-rate players.

In terms of footy ability D Locky and A Johns are head and shoulders above anyone in this modern era - absolutely no doubt about that.

With the GEN Y players I would say GI is the freakish-est in terms of what he can do but no questions asked Billy the kid is at the top of his era of players thus far.

broncospwn said:
I think it goes without saying that The Great One is a great player.

Everyone who has been fortunate enough to have the pleasure of seeing The Great One play for the Broncos should feel blessed. He is a champ, 2006 was god-like, actually he was god in 2006, 2007 he carried the team week-after week, 2008 consistently an inspiration, made anyone who was lucky enough to play beside him, a better player. In 2009 he was a shining star in the team, when he was injured you cold tell the entire team didn't play as well, when he plays he brings an immediate sense of confidence and enthusiasm to the team that only Lockyer (The Greatest One) can match.

He doesn't use speed, he uses football smarts, his step and players around him. You only need to notice how much he does for the team, dummy half running, Lockyer passes to him almost every set, he is our go to man in attack, no doubt about that, maybe not when he returns but pre-2010 it certainly was the case. Look at the Broncos highlights reels for 06 onwards and you will see The Great One over and over.

It saddens me that he may not ever return to his best and may leave us next year. I really hope Hodges can return to his best because at his best he is lethal and very important to us. Without question he is one of the best centres to wear the Broncos jersey and if not for the amount of amazing once in a generation players we have had, he would also be right up there as one of the best to play for the club.

The excitement of seeing the great one line up alongside Inglis in the centres is sure to have Kleenex achieving record breaking tissue sales.

Wow. Vomit.

How can it sadden anyone? He was crap before he was playing shit before his injury, and he'll come back the same, if not worse.

Our "great" players have never had an issue with standing tall above the rest. Hodges simply doesn't play enough football to show himself off. And over the last few years, that football he has played, has been nothing special.

As for the Kleenex. I have a feeling they'll all be used on you. Crying that The Could Have Been The Great One But Is Always Injured still sucks after his injury.

Bit harsh Nashy, but I do somewhat "hmmm" at broncospwn's claim that Hodges uses football smarts for his ability. I think he simply uses the strength of his upper body and his freakishly long stride (hence long sideways movement) to beat players one-on-one. That's not footy smarts, that's just natural athletic ability.

He doesn't come across to me as a "great footy mind".

There is no doubting his ability. It just seems to me like when he left, he had something to prove. Same when he came back, everyone hated him, so he had to prove his worth.

It looks like he got a little too comfortable, and has slid since.

I'm not saying that he didn't used to be awesome. But there comes a point where any player needs to change their game. Everyone knows how Hodges plays, everyone knows when he gets the ball, he's going to do that stupid little standing step, and attempt to push people away.

Teams can easily compensate for that with more defenders to pull him down.

I want the old... younger Hodges back. Not this hack who's been playing a few games for the past couple of years.

i dont think Hodges has any footy smarts in him whatsoever, to be honest.

as coxy said, all he does is use his size, strength, and step to break the line. thats its. if he had footy smarts he'd be running lines to get through gaps, backing up other players, and reading the general play a lot better.

he also wouldnt have thrown 2 stupid in-goal passes in a state of origin match.

Hodges was my favourite player in 2006/07. But in the last few years he's either been injured, suspended, or MIA. Apart from that flying Origin try, the only real memories of him from the last few seasons is his crybaby face when he's complaining to the ref's. His attitude just pisses me off.

My Hodgo highlight of the past 3 seasons is his beautiful flick ball to Dale Copley against the Tits last year. Sure, we lost the game, but it was magic.

His no look pass from dummy half against the Titans?
There's not a single player who would have thought of it and it showed because he took them completely by surprise.

Make no mistake if Hodges gets back to form he will be one of the best players in our team and the competition again.

EDIT: Coxy's post wasn't up when I posted mine(lots of tabs, hehe).

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • heartly87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • mrslong
  • eggstar10
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • TimWhatley
  • bert_lifts
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • broncos4life
  • Scdeac
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Aldo
  • Skathen
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.