THE COACH Kevin Walters

I think a few in here expected a miracle job, this isn't a miracle but to go from getting belted consistently by huge margins to where we're at now, not sure many other coaches could do this as well as he has been able to do it, hard to not be happy for the bloke.

However, some had been calling his head for weeks now and aren't able to humbly concede they were wrong, so carry on, as we continue to improve.
Who?

I think that's a fair point about JD, he doesn't seem to have much charisma.

Maybe right on the charisma stakes .
But I call BS on the know how criticism . You don`t hang with Uncle Wayne all those years and not learn a trick or two .

Cattle is the problem . Reynolds , the Burgii , Gagai . Big holes to fill .
I was baffled re Ilias not chipping or grubbering against the rushing defence ?

Maybe right on the charisma stakes .
But I call BS on the know how criticism . You don`t hang with Uncle Wayne all those years and not learn a trick or two .

Cattle is the problem . Reynolds , the Burgii , Gagai . Big holes to fill .
I was baffled re Ilias not chipping or grubbering against the rushing defence ?

They have lost some big players. They were always going to have a bit of a transition this year.

So pleased for KW over the past 3 games. We all want him to succeed. He is such a likeable bloke who is a Bronco through and through. Would hate him to fail and then have Paul Green take over, which would probably set us back again.

It's hard to tell how much credit Kevvie deserves and how much can be attributed to the arrival of Reynolds, Ikin & DD. All I know is we've had pretty good gameplans ever since he arrived. So much so that some of them were commonly used throughout the league last year.

Also, maybe just a coincidence but I noticed both the Raiders and Roosters put there star rookies on the wing last week after debuting and trialing in different positions. Maybe they've seen the results of Kevvie persisting with Cobbo on the wing?

Reynolds apparently went over and signed stuff for Souths fans, thanked them for their support over the years. Pretty classy IMO.

I used to bag him as a one-dimensional player, he had a great short kicking game and nothing else, like he got zero line break assists one year, it was all kicks and no running or passing game. Either he has developed a lot since then or I was just wrong, probably both. The fact that he was named captain before playing a single game for us was a bold call, but 100% the correct one.

It's hard to tell how much credit Kevvie deserves and how much can be attributed to the arrival of Reynolds, Ikin & DD. All I know is we've had pretty good gameplans ever since he arrived. So much so that some of them were commonly used throughout the league last year.

Also, maybe just a coincidence but I noticed both the Raiders and Roosters put there star rookies on the wing last week after debuting and trialing in different positions. Maybe they've seen the results of Kevvie persisting with Cobbo on the wing?

DD and Ikin have played a role no doubt but as for on the field, Reynolds isn't responsible for these extra efforts we are seeing in defense, which I believe is what won us the game last night.

The team is happy, we've seen it since pre-season, Kevvie deserves all the praise he gets and more. He is doing a wonderful job and even those who were calling for his head, it is understandable but I am sure there is not one fan who is sad about it.

The team is happy, we've seen it since pre-season, Kevvie deserves all the praise he gets and more. He is doing a wonderful job and even those who were calling for his head, it is understandable but I am sure there is not one fan who is sad about it.
I really want Walters to succeed. He is easily the most likeable coach in the NRL too. Most of the other coaches are all slimy, self-serving pricks. In comparison, Walters doesn't whinge and complain to influence the refs. Instead he is going about everything his own way with class and integrity, and it only makes his success even more sweeter as a Broncos fan. I hope he keeps improving as a coach and ends up having a long and successful coaching career at the Broncos.

I was on board for the Kev can't cut it, time to look around club, but I am really starting to wonder if we are being too harsh.

As it stands today the following coaches are under extreme to moderate pressure regarding being sacked (ranked in my opinion as to most severe risk):

Trent Barrett
Michael Maguire
Anthony Griffin
Kevin Walters
Adam O'Brien
Ricky Stuart
Nathan Brown
Justin Holbrook

Until the last few games I would have also included Todd Payten.

That is half of the teams in the comp have the coach under some degree of pressure.

Most of those coaches started with a squad and club better positioned than what Walters had to deal with. I think a lot of us are underestimating how difficult it actually is to turn a club around when they had fallen as far as we had. In the next 5 games there are some winnable games if KW has started to turn the club around. If we can win 2-3 of those games we might be reasonably placed to get into the 8.

Given that there really are no stand out candidates on the market, I wonder if we just ride this out for a while and see how KW goes.

I think a few in here expected a miracle job, this isn't a miracle but to go from getting belted consistently by huge margins to where we're at now, not sure many other coaches could do this as well as he has been able to do it, hard to not be happy for the bloke.

However, some had been calling his head for weeks now and aren't able to humbly concede they were wrong, so carry on, as we continue to improve.
Already made my concession a while ago that I might have been a bit hasty and too harsh. Hindsight is proving wonderful in confirming that I was being too hard on him.

Kevvie must like doing abit of baking in his space time another cake reference was made in the presser.

Coaches cop alot of blame when teams aren't producing results so its only fair they get some credit when things are going well.

My biggest criticism of Seibold was that indvidually, no players seem to develop or become better players. You look across our side now and he's getting the most out of our midrange average guys like Kennedy, palasia and Herbie. On top of that our marquee players he's got performing at their best. The key to a good team is gettintg your players to perform at or above their value which is what Melbourne do so well.

My second major critique of Seibold was he didn't have the ability to get us up for the big games. The games against the cows or where we have a 40k crowd on a sunday arvo.

That's Kevs next big challenge for mine. He's gotta be able to get the guys up for big occasions. Magic round next week i think will be a good test for that one.

I do think that's also experience as well. We haven't had a real leader in the squad for a long time, Reynolds (and others) are now driving higher standards. There will still be some ups and downs but more ups than downs as time goes on. I'm really positive about the direction the team is heading and Kev has to get some credit for that. He has brought back the passion for the jersey IMO.

I hope everyone maintains this positivity and hope when we (inevitably) get towelled up by an average team / have a few awful games over the rest of the season.

There will still be some big up’s and downs to come and a bumpy ride, but the trajectory is pointing up and we still have lots to be proud of and lots to look forward to despite any potential inconsistent performances. We are still just as capable of looking like a bottom 4 side as we are a top 4 side, but we have improved out of sight this year.

Coaches cop alot of blame when teams aren't producing results so its only fair they get some credit when things are going well.

My biggest criticism of Seibold was that indvidually, no players seem to develop or become better players. You look across our side now and he's getting the most out of our midrange average guys like Kennedy, palasia and Herbie. On top of that our marquee players he's got performing at their best. The key to a good team is gettintg your players to perform at or above their value which is what Melbourne do so well.

My second major critique of Seibold was he didn't have the ability to get us up for the big games. The games against the cows or where we have a 40k crowd on a sunday arvo.

That's Kevs next big challenge for mine. He's gotta be able to get the guys up for big occasions. Magic round next week i think will be a good test for that one.

The only thing I credit Seibold for is we never lost to the Cows under him.
We spoiled the first game at the Cows new stadium under him.

The difference this year is that our leader is someone who knows not only how to stick to our gameplans... but also call an audible if they're not working

The difference this year is that our leader is someone who knows not only how to stick to our gameplans... but also call an audible if they're not working

I don't think this can be overstated. The reality is, Reynolds is firing on all cylinders which allows him to give underperforming players a serve with conviction. Glenn was barely holding on to his spot, makes it hard to tell other players to do better when he is doing well himself. It is the same problem Boyd had.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • mitch222
  • winslow_wong
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Manofoneway
  • leon.bott
  • Justwin
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrRobot
  • NSW stables
  • Financeguy
  • Bish
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Behind enemy lines
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.