Knights v Broncos In-Game Thread [with Live Chat]

I could not believe how slow hunt was when he stole the ball last night??????

Coxy said:
audragon said:
I am trully incensed at the refereeing of this game, starting with what should have been a penalty try and a sin bin, continued with a load of BS calls against us that put the Knights in advantage position. :evil:
On top of it, the Knights pretty much exausted their luck for the next 10 years. 2 missed kicks resulted in tries FFS. [icon_shady

You can all give the players sh!t, but a young inexperienced team like ours would always struggle against those odds! [icon_shru

Having said that...
Whatever happened to the excellent defence we had only a few weeks ago btw? Can't be just Locky missing...
Whatever happened to Thaiday, and why isn't he playing 80 mins anymore? Does he have a niggling injury?
Norman was absolutely horrible, which might explaing Gillett's choice at 5/8... [icon_non
Henjak has absolutely NO CLUE!

I hope we put another 70 on these f***s next season!

Oh, I almost forgot. Wallace is sh!t, it's all his fault. He should be sacked on the spot. Why didn't stop those offloads? Why didn't he catch those kicks? Why didn't he score 5 tries? Why didn't he push the try button for that Gidley penalty? He should have raised the flag for that kick that went out on the full. Actually I'm pretty sure his red hair was what started the whole GFC!

The effort was there.
Oh gee Coxy, you're so witty and smart! [eusa_clap.gi

ningnangnong said:
The Rock said:
IMO, Lockyer's influence on this team is under rated. Does anyone actually think that we would have missed so many tackles when the Australian captain is playing in the team and directing orders around? Nope. Honestly, the team seems to lift massivly when Lockyer is around, I cannot believe how bad we played without him in the last 2 weeks.

I know it might be a bit too early to say this, but I am seriously worried about life after Lockyer. We look like an entirely different team without him, it's bewildering.

Not looking forward to the day he retires. :|
As long as he stays around to be the brains trust of the coaching team, I'm not too worried. If we leave it up to Ivan, we're seriously screwed!

Dee said:
I'm not walking away, we've been through much tougher times @ the Broncos than this, and not once have I turned my back on them, and walked away, even when everybody and their mother was bagging them out, I held strong, and have always remained loyal.

It's my choice though, if I don't want to watch and see them perform like a bunch of retards, and what pisses us all off the most is that we KNOW we are MUCH BETTER THAN THIS.

Like I said last week, we are losing our way mentally.

U r a drama queen Dee, nobody cares if u walk away (which u won't). Christ, I'd hate to see how'd you'd react if u actually had a real problem to deal with. Keep your inner emotions to yourself thanks.

The Rock said:
Another rookie coach blunder. Taking off your BEST performing player. DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.

If it was Wayne Bennet, he would have left Ben Hunt off for most of the game. That's what we should have done. Macca was on a role, we looked more dangerous with him out there and then Ivan takes him off? Ummm ok.

IMO, Lockyer's influence on this team is under rated. Does anyone actually think that we would have missed so many tackles when the Australian captain is playing in the team and directing orders around? Nope. Honestly, the team seems to lift massivly when Lockyer is around, I cannot believe how bad we played without him in the last 2 weeks.
Maybe he has been listening to the 90% of whining Broncos fans who have been saying he needs to put Hunt on sooner? [icon_wink

lynx000 said:
I could not believe how slow hunt was when he stole the ball last night??????

Seeing as the player had a vice like grip on it, I thought he did really well to get it.

audragon said:
I am trully incensed at the refereeing of this game, starting with what should have been a penalty try and a sin bin

Choose one, you can't have both. IMO sin bin probably would have been the correct penalty, I don't think it's certain that Yow Yeh would have scored if Gidley didn't obstruct him.

It surprised me that Henjak took Thaiday off. Every time he had the ball, he was making excellent meters. But where were the rest of the Broncos' forwards? Usually Ben Te'o does well, but I don't think I heard the commentators mention his name last night. Was he out injured or something?

Te'o played. Went within a whisker of winning Brizz a lot of money early in the game...

No reason why they couldn't have given a penalty try and sin binned Gidley.

Disagree with removing McCullogh at that stage of the game, but hindsight is about as useful as any government about to be elected in a few hours.

Average performance, here's hoping the bitter cold on a Friday night in NZ will harden them up somewhat. :roll:

I believe most of the posters have touched on the important points.
The knights were incredibly fortunate - it was a 'once in a decade' performance by my home town.
Sammy was taken off because, it my opinion and obviously Ivan's, he needs freshening up'.
Flailing hair does not maketh the player.

Norman looks like a young player completely out of his depth. - Rrabnocovor ( or the approximate name of the intelligent poster) has it all sussed.
My final word is that it isn't about wallace, it is about the 9 and the numbers 8 - 13 and the way they shift defences in tackles 1- 4/5.

Don't focus on McCulloch's dummies, focus on the 'pig' plays and what really happens.

The working class was very poor last night.
McGuire is willing but he hands over too many penalties and cheap real estate.

Terrible cliche and apologies to my doting fans.
I promise to be cool and cutting edge from now on.

user_nat said:
langer77 said:
[quote="Big_Dave":ct55jc9t]Norman the next Lockyer [icon_non

FFS mate he is 18 i bet locky was like this at 18
Lockyer made his debut half way through the season and got club rookie of the year at 18.[/quote:ct55jc9t]

my bad give the kid a go he come good

Raw Boned Youngster said:
I believe most of the posters have touched on the important points.
The knights were incredibly fortunate - it was a 'once in a decade' performance by my home town.
Sammy was taken off because, it my opinion and obviously Ivan's, he needs freshening up'.
Flailing hair does not maketh the player.

Norman looks like a young player completely out of his depth. - Rrabnocovor ( or the approximate name of the intelligent poster) has it all sussed.
My final word is that it isn't about wallace, it is about the 9 and the numbers 8 - 13 and the way they shift defences in tackles 1- 4/5.

Don't focus on McCulloch's dummies, focus on the 'pig' plays and what really happens.

The working class was very poor last night.
McGuire is willing but he hands over too many penalties and cheap real estate.

Terrible cliche and apologies to my doting fans.
I promise to be cool and cutting edge from now on.

"Rrabnocovor"? Sounds like a famous lesbian tennis star... :P

Actually RBY, the more I think about it, the more I believe it is a lot about Wallace.

Football of any code, like physics, is about space and time. As we all acknowledge, creating that is the key role of the 9, 7, 6 and 1.

The main (but not only) reason we flop when Locky is out is that we have no-one that can create space, and therefore time - space for an attack to form and, therefore time for it to be executed.

Wallace is absolute SHITE at that. Hoffman - brilliant as his running game is, is still too inexperienced to be a ball player (read: space maker- a creator of opportunities).

Macca at last has started to understand that role - till Henhouse pulled him off.

To do any of this requires vision (read the play) and fundamentally, the COACH has to build some sort of team structure around what to do when that space is created. That is, players in position, KNOWING where to stand, knowing that it's going to happen, and then doing something about it.

We have bugger all of that. Like... Sammy e.g. Wally gets the ball. Everyone is standing nice and flat (footed). Hmmm thinks Wally. Who will I give the ball to? Hey Sammy! So Sammy, flat footed, light bulb over his head starts to run and gets the ball with the defence closing in on him.

Or Troncosauraurus who for some odd reason, has recently started to run stupid angles (like Parker) with no rhyme or reason behind why he does that, or why we do that as an option.

Meanwhile, the rest of the boys are wandering around, almost in line with the play, waiting for an offload perchance? Maybe I'll get the ball? What then? I'll try and bust the bastards with clever footwork?

That, IMO, largely explains why we are absolute shite in general play in the middle, and why, coupled to stupid defensive structural strategy (like what we did on Friday, especially on their 4th and 5th tackle plays) we won't read: can't, win without Lockyer.

And when I say win, it's in the context of matches against the top sides who have both settled structure inattack and defence, and decent space-makers at 1, 6,7 and 9.

One thing I have to say - as good ad that banana kick by Mullen was, it wasn't as good as it's being made out to be. If yow yeh didn't touch it, it misses the winger by a country mile and there's no try.

Horrible match to watch as a broncos supporter. Has thaiday caught a ball in the last 6 weeks? He's averaging like 3-4 knock-ons a week these days. Wallace, useless. Norman, useless. McCullough was going great guns, wonder why he was pulled...

It's sad that it seems like we are now as much of a one man team as we have ever been.

Anonymous person said:
One thing I have to say - as good ad that banana kick by Mullen was, it wasn't as good as it's being made out to be. If yow yeh didn't touch it, it misses the winger by a country mile and there's no try.

Horrible match to watch as a broncos supporter. Has thaiday caught a ball in the last 6 weeks? He's averaging like 3-4 knock-ons a week these days. Wallace, useless. Norman, useless. McCullough was going great guns, wonder why he was pulled...

It's sad that it seems like we are now as much of a one man team as we have ever been.

I was saying to Brizz on Friday night I think, Thaiday is trying to be too fancy with his footwork before he gets the ball. He's trying the Preston Campbell "side step then catch the ball and be in space"...and the result is he's fucking it up.

When he just concentrates on catching the ball and running it hard and straight, that's when he's at his best.

ningnangnong said:
The Rock said:

I know it might be a bit too early to say this, but I am seriously worried about life after Lockyer. We look like an entirely different team without him, it's bewildering.

Not looking forward to the day he retires. :|

I think (hope) that starting the season without Locky we would perform better then losing him mid season.

Anonymous person said:

We didn't really miss Locky while Macca was playing a 5star game. It is the coach making us that one man team imo.

draggx said:
We didn't really miss Locky while Macca was playing a 5star game. It is the coach making us that one man team imo.
I would say it's the lack of a coach that is making us a one man team, because when Locky is out, it seems like no one has a clue, nor an effective game plan against whoever they're playing!

I thought Yow Yeh was amaizing against the Knights, playing like an origin winger at such a young age. [icon_drun

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.