RANT Let Herbie go, NOW!

The problem with Herbie is a rather quick one to assess.

When he is beating defenders with his speed and power, you look like a fool if you call him out for not being able to set up his winger, however when he's not beating defenders you'd barely pay him anything to play, it's that big of a difference.
It's really not.

He's B+/A- grade week in week out but he's a hog. His workrate is enormous and is a big part of why our forwards can dominate with him and Oates doing bulk work while the Staggs sits his lazy arse on the edges with 5 runs a game.

Herbie in the first part of the season was probably the form center going around. He was playing really well but his form has dropped off the last 3 or 4 weeks. If he hadn't signed elsewhere , all this over dramatic kick him out now nonsense wouldnt be happening. He'd be getting criticised, and rightly so but we wouldnt be trying to boot him out.
This is true, but the equation also changes since he's leaving. We have Mariner, Hoeter and Arthars in the wings - all starting-quality backs whom Herbs is keeping out of the team. Particularly in the case of Mariner who could be an absolute gun but needs NRL experience.

While Herbie was staying and deserving of his spot, there's no conversation to be had. If he was staying, there may be a conversation to send him back to Cup for a couple of weeks to rebuild his confidence and bring Mariner in and get him some experience.

With Herbie now leaving though, the latter conversation rightfully changes. Herbie isn't (IMO) doing anything more than Mariner (or Hoeter, or Arthars) would, so should we persist with him at the expense of the players who have committed to the club in the longer term, and their NRL development? If he has another sub-par game (for him) this weekend I'd be very tempted to leave him out next game and bring in one of the others.

This is true, but the equation also changes since he's leaving. We have Mariner, Hoeter and Arthars in the wings - all starting-quality backs whom Herbs is keeping out of the team. Particularly in the case of Mariner who could be an absolute gun but needs NRL experience.

While Herbie was staying and deserving of his spot, there's no conversation to be had. If he was staying, there may be a conversation to send him back to Cup for a couple of weeks to rebuild his confidence and bring Mariner in and get him some experience.

With Herbie now leaving though, the latter conversation rightfully changes. Herbie isn't (IMO) doing anything more than Mariner (or Hoeter, or Arthars) would, so should we persist with him at the expense of the players who have committed to the club in the longer term, and their NRL development? If he has another sub-par game (for him) this weekend I'd be very tempted to leave him out next game and bring in one of the others.

I'm not sure Mariner is ready for anything else but wing. Del and Arthars probably wouldnt off anything Herbie wouldnt. They are just solid players. Saying that, exactly as i was saying last year with Kotoni, reputation shouldnt keep them in the team. They have to perform to keep their spots. I just dont think though Herbie has been as poor as some people are saying, he's just dropped back to being a solid player instead of a game breaker.

Picked a great day to write my little thing today, didn't I lol...Herbie was great tonight, even passed to Oates. If he plays near that every week then he absolutely stays in the team.

Picked a great day to write my little thing today, didn't I lol...Herbie was great tonight, even passed to Oates. If he plays near that every week then he absolutely stays in the team.
Best time to bag players is right after the Bulldogs game before a bye. You have two weeks to be 100% correct.

Has anyone considered maybe Herbie is blind in his left eye and can't see Oatesy out there? Not a lot of sensitivity being shown for a bloke who might be disabled.

Agree. He is disabled as he signed with the Phins.

I take back everything I said about Herbie. Had a blinder even made 1 pass to Oates.
He passed the ball!!!!!!
Scored tries….
He is the complete package! Best centre in history…
Whatever, he can still **** off.

Active Now

• IceWorks
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • FACTHUNT
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mrslong
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Fatboy
  • Redux
  • Waynesaurus
  • Skathen
  • ivanhungryjak
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.