Matt Lodge Discussion

I have great faith in Paul White and if he is happy to have Lodge back then so am I.

Shame on Broncos for poor handling of Lodge

The Broncos’ handling of the Matt Lodge case has been nothing short of inept.
The club championed Lodge for more than a year, demanding he be allowed to return to the NRL. They arranged for him to meet with chief executive Todd Greenberg and chief operating officer Nick Weeks, where he vowed he had turned the corner and there would be no repeat of his violent rampage in New York.
Greenberg and Weeks agreed to let him back in 2018 which, in retrospect, was probably a mistake. But their cause has not been helped by the Broncos, who have refused to put Lodge in the public domain to apologise for his actions.
Out of view: The Broncos have refused to put Matt Lodge (inset) in the public eye while New York couple Ruth Fowler and Joseph Cartright have expressed fury to see him given a contract with the NRL.
Photo: Supplied
Coach Wayne Bennett had a chance to speak on Lodge’s behalf and show some remorse when he was asked at a corporate lunch during the week why he accepted Lodge back into the fold. Bennett’s response encapsulated everything bad about the game: “We signed him because he’s a good football player.”
My understanding is that Lodge has tried to apologise to the victims through their lawyers. For some obscure reason, that apology has never been made public. Nor have the Broncos put him up to be interviewed. Not even by their own website, which could have given him a soft interview to get his message out.
Greenberg has been left to carry the can for allowing him back into the game. He’s copped abuse from all quarters and every press conference he’s held in the last two weeks has been derailed by discussion about Lodge.
The next time the Broncos ask to bring back a player for a second chance, he has every right to tell them to go jump.
And Weidler has a crack in the SMH.

Once again the truth can't get in the way of a good story. Lodge HAS been interviewed on the club website.
I guess we will just have to live with the negative press for a while. It looks like the haters are out to try and derail any positives we might get from signing the big talented frontrower.
Personally i don't like what he did at all, but can see that being back in a professionally run football organisation is probably the best thing for his rehabilitation.

Coach Wayne Bennett had a chance to speak on Lodge’s behalf and show some remorse when he was asked at a corporate lunch during the week why he accepted Lodge back into the fold. Bennett’s response encapsulated everything bad about the game: “We signed him because he’s a good football player.”

Heaven forbid we sign someone on their footballing ability...instead of their public persona.
what a load of shit.

What an absolute crock of shit that article is. How the **** has Greenberg and whoever the hell that Weeks guy is copped as much shit as the Broncos have for signing Lodge. Danny Weidler really is a grade a fuckwit

The thing that bothers me is how it appears as though Lodge is having a far rougher time from the Media than Russel packer did and he actually Curb Stomped someone until they were unconscious... Lodge was flaily around like an idiot and said some scary words? "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". I dunno. I honestly think it's good that Russel Packer was given another chance, because from all reports he is a different person now. People do stupid stuff when drunk or in a fit of rage. The family has even said they are happy for him to play NRL if it is his livelyhood, because what good is it to ruin someones life for some drunken mistakes?

Give him a chance, if he has any other indescresions then ban him from the game. There are several players who have checkered pasts in our game, and if they are getting another chance, so too should Lodge. Just look at Packer, Ma'u, Wicks etc.

These journalists really are a joke.

They state Lodge’s remorse and apology was never made public..

It was made public a year ago in an interview with the Courier Mail.

They are either twisting shit to make him, the Broncos and the NRL look bad. Or they just haven’t done any research on him whatsoever.

The thing that bothers me is how it appears as though Lodge is having a far rougher time from the Media than Russel packer did and he actually Curb Stomped someone until they were unconscious... Lodge was flaily around like an idiot and said some scary words? "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". I dunno. I honestly think it's good that Russel Packer was given another chance, because from all reports he is a different person now. People do stupid stuff when drunk or in a fit of rage. The family has even said they are happy for him to play NRL if it is his livelyhood, because what good is it to ruin someones life for some drunken mistakes?

Give him a chance, if he has any other indescresions then ban him from the game. There are several players who have checkered pasts in our game, and if they are getting another chance, so too should Lodge. Just look at Packer, Ma'u, Wicks etc.
Manu Mau was far worse....got two years as I recall.

Ferguson was done for sexual assault.

Fifita threatened to hurt a junior ref.

Packer stomped on a bloke.

There have been far worse incidents than the Lodge one...have a look at the video, seriously what a load of nothing. Hardly consistent with the impression given pre the release of same.

In any event I don’t propose to have our clubs morals dictated by the scumbag Sydney media. The likes of Rothfield, Weidler, Ritchie ought to have had their careers cut short years ago.

These journalists really are a joke.

They state Lodge’s remorse and apology was never made public..

It was made public a year ago in an interview with the Courier Mail.

They are either twisting shit to make him, the Broncos and the NRL look bad. Or they just haven’t done any research on him whatsoever.
It’s disgusting.

Make a complaint to the press council about the story. That’ll knock the attitude off weidler....low life scum that he is

It’s disgusting.

Make a complaint to the press council about the story. That’ll knock the attitude off weidler....low life scum that he is

Do the press council actually do anything though?

Has anyone else forgotten why he was sacked from the Storm??

When he was playing under 20's and training with first grade he was frustrated he wasnt getting picked in first grade and offered to fight Craig Bellamy out in the carpark, contract torn up next day and signed with the tigers

When he was playing under 20's and training with first grade he was frustrated he wasnt getting picked in first grade and offered to fight Craig Bellamy out in the carpark, contract torn up next day and signed with the tigers

your point?

Cool.

Active Now

• Astro
  • BroncosAlways
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncorob
  • Mick_Hancock
  • broncos4life
  • Robboi_321
  • bert_lifts
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • bb_gun
  • Professor47
  • cento
  • winslow_wong
  • Cavalo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.