Matt Lodge Discussion

Thankyou but I am aware of the evolutionary nature of language. Grade three was some 52 years ago.

Language has changed since then, so if you're aware of it and understand it, why does text speak confuse or irritate you so much?

Imagine Lodge or the woman involved being asked to write an essay on black hole radiation, in their own words and using their texting skills. Naturally with such a subject they'd have to reference other people's work as would just about anyone including myself. My question would be, could they convey the references accurately with this revolutionary new language ? Would we understand ?

I'm not sure at all what your point is here. If someone doesn't understand the subject, they're unlikely to be able to speak at length about it or describe it. Wasn't it Einstein who said if you can't convey the message simply, you don't understand it well enough? So ultimately the goal would be to make it as simple as possible - if that meant typing it text speak for the younger generation, so be it.

Sure language evolves but that only is effective if all the people use the same changes. Your ai example demonstrates that perfectly. It's fucking useless if the primary goal, accurate communication is compromised.

No, it's only useless to those that don't understand it. Which is seemingly you in your example with your son. You don't understand why, so therefore it irritates you. It really is a very simple concept.

The police at the cop station said he wasn’t drunk. They only said he was tired.
Yeah but the “he was drunk” line was what the NRL used. Despite it being crap.

giphy.gif
I try to proofread everything I write however an unusual set of circumstances didn't allow that this time. My tablet dimmed at 5% battery power as I was writing my reply. I plugged it in to continue but it shut down irrespective of that action. After waking hours later I went back to continue but that reply was no longer there and I started writing a new reply. Then after posting my new reply my previous partly written reply appeared in the newer one as a multiquote, doubtless a draft save. That is why the post finished in a half completed word. As per my normal practice I would have re-read my post in an attempt to correct errors and hopefully picked up my mistakes.

I try to proofread everything I write however an unusual set of circumstances didn't allow that this time. My tablet dimmed at 5% battery power as I was writing my reply. I plugged it in to continue but it shut down irrespective of that action. After waking hours later I went back to continue but that reply was no longer there and I started writing a new reply. Then after posting my new reply my previous partly written reply appeared in the newer one as a multiquote, doubtless a draft save. That is why the post finished in a half completed word. As per my normal practice I would have re-read my post in an attempt to correct errors and hopefully picked up my mistakes.

So we'll just assume you'll show the same understanding to those who make mistakes in future, as you're asking us to employ?

Language has changed since then, so if you're aware of it and understand it, why does text speak confuse or irritate you so much?
My son has aspirations to become a teacher and text speak doesn't irritate me as you may imagine. My point was always twofold, firstly as you practice so you perform and if it's just as easy, requiring no additional effort why do it at all ? What's the payoff ? Where's the advantage ?

I'm not sure at all what your point is here. If someone doesn't understand the subject, they're unlikely to be able to speak at length about it or describe it. Wasn't it Einstein who said if you can't convey the message simply, you don't understand it well enough? So ultimately the goal would be to make it as simple as possible - if that meant typing it text speak for the younger generation, so be it.
I covered their lack of understanding by writing they had to use references from others just as I would. It was about the task and the tools.

No, it's only useless to those that don't understand it. Which is seemingly you in your example with your son. You don't understand why, so therefore it irritates you. It really is a very simple concept.

Perhaps you can explain the why. It is useless if communication is not achieved. The excercise I outlined was about them writing in such a way that we would all understand, not just those in some inner circle or closed group.

So we'll just assume you'll show the same understanding to those who make mistakes in future, as you're asking us to employ?
Of course, I often do especially with your work. This forum is one of the best going and in some way it is because years ago Coxy insisted that people not use text speak and he demanded a reasonable standard. That has continued to this day and generally makes this forum a great place to share thoughts. My original post was about my son and not about other posters.

Of course, I often do especially with your work. This forum is one of the best going and in some way it is because years ago Coxy insisted that people not use text speak and he demanded a reasonable standard. That has continued to this day and generally makes this forum a great place to share thoughts. My original post was about my son and not about other posters.

You're one of the first people to jump on any mistakes people make in posts.. Often mocking them.

Well the DT, in a desperate attempt to keep the story going, has a quote from the ex’s lawyer ripping into Beattie for turning Lodge into the victim.
Next , expect an exclusive that he kicked her dog and refused to call it a “Good boy”.

Well the DT, in a desperate attempt to keep the story going, has a quote from the ex’s lawyer ripping into Beattie for turning Lodge into the victim.
Next , expect an exclusive that he kicked her dog and refused to call it a “Good boy”.

Maybe Lodge should say he identifies as a woman or something.

For this to go away he needs to get himself above his ex on the victim Olympics scorecard.

Seriously, the NRL have said they are not deregistering him, so what’s the media’s end game? Are they hoping the bloke will secumb to the pressure and a) quit, b) hurt someone, c) top himself or d) some combination of all three?

Maybe Lodge should say he identifies as a woman or something.

For this to go away he needs to get himself above his ex on the victim Olympics scorecard.

Seriously, the NRL have said they are not deregistering him, so what’s the media’s end game? Are they hoping the bloke will secumb to the pressure and a) quit, b) hurt someone, c) top himself or d) some combination of all three?

They would be happy with any of those three. The would be hoping that he hurts someone because they can claim a moral victory, although I am sure they would be content if he killed himself.

They would be happy with any of those three. The would be hoping that he hurts someone because they can claim a moral victory, although I am sure they would be content if he killed himself.
And then they’ll blame the Broncos for whatever happens....if only Brisbane had handled it better...wank wank wank.....

Their end-game is the same as always. Moar clicks = more money.

I have no problem with the compensation either but I thought he was somewhat appealing the ruling and trying to settle for a more reasonable figure.

By starting payments now, however little it ends up being, is he not effectively accepting the compensation payout and doesn't necessarily have grounds for appealing or settling for a lower amount.

I wonder if he can make a contribution to a trust as a percentage of his wage until the compensation amount is agreed to???

Agree issue is once he starts paying does he risk losing both his legal position that the compensation amount was not only excessive but unenforceable in Australia as well as his bargaining power to reduce the sum by negotiation. This is a matter between 2 private parties and a non Australian court so don’t see it as public or NRL business.

The whole media circus is completely out of control. The guy has done real wrongs but persecuting one person who has supposedly done more work than most to change their lives won’t solve the ills in our society and sends a message of why bother trying to better yourself. I’m not a fan of him getting back in this year or at the broncos but what is done is done. When is it considered bullying as well?

Also is the NRL on shaky legal ground with a lot of their rules regarding their employment conditions and potentially changing the rules after registering?

@BroncsFan may have nailed it. Start paying it in to a trust. When a feasable settlement amount is reached, the victims can have it then. Until then, they have no legal leg to stand on.

Just because an American court ruled he has to pay 1.6m doesn't make it right, and the media blabbing on about "he has to pay it" is madness

Not one person I have heard make any comment about challenging the figure first

Single minded, tunnel visioned, talentless hacks pretending to be journalists

That's ok Huge, We were worried that you'd had a stroke.

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
  • KateBroncos1812
  • phoenix
  • jd87
  • broncotville
  • Manofoneway
  • Browny
  • LittleDavey
  • mitch222
  • BroncosAlways
  • Morkel
  • theshed
  • Horseheadsup
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.