Matt lodge

not really. especially if he signs a deal that goes into 2023.
As it stands, he’s on a guaranteed 800K for the next two 1/2 years, right?
Do you really think he’d forgo that for a two year deal (after this year) for say 400K a year? Forget exact figures, but that’s the rough idea.

I’m all good with it. It’s been a long couple of years waiting for him to be a consistent asset, and until recently most of us weren’t happy with $/performance.

I trust the judgement to move him on and wish him the best.

I would be ok with it except I don't trust our club to not roll over and get smashed in the deal.

As it stands, he’s on a guaranteed 800K for the next two 1/2 years, right?
Do you really think he’d forgo that for a two year deal (after this year) for say 400K a year? Forget exact figures, but that’s the rough idea.

then he won't be going anywhere ... win for us.

the only reason we are doing this is to get his money off the cap. there would be no point if we have to chip in on his player options. (which he can't even activate for another 12 months)

besides he may not have to forgo that cash. the Knights get him cheaper for this year and next, before picking up his full tab.

the only reason we are doing this is to get his money off the cap. there would be no point if we have to chip in on his player options. (which he can't even activate for another 12 months)
besides he may not have to forgo that cash. the Knights get him cheaper for this year and next, before picking up his full tab.
Exactly, hence - negotiations.

Depending on the wording of the option, it is likely that he could activate the options at anytime. The way an option is usually worded is that it has to be exercised by a certain date.

On the face of it I hate it. I cannot understand the urgency. After the season, fair enough. I have to believe ML wants to get home. Not knowing any details makes speculation useless. If it's true I will be disappointed. I always thought we did okay with our go forward and weren't let down by ML.

I can understand the rationale behind it as we are very forward heavy but if it is pushing him out to bring Joffa back for example in 22, it would suck. If we get something out of it, whether it be a player in a position of need or something else, then fair enough. I do however think it will potentially lead to more player unrest and worry it will us to getting nothing out of it.

I dont necessarily want to lose Lodge, but I think him having PO's in 23 & 24 is the reason why Broncos are looking to ship him out.

The way I see it is if Lodge goes and say we are paying worst case 50% of his wages next year (say $350k or so).... then it basically equals out to Flegler plus re-signing Asiata for one Lodge.

Personally I think Flegler is only on $400-$450k.... I think the media just grabbed the $650k and adopted it as his annual salary rather than it being $650k over 2-3yr... and they have done the same with his latest extension, which i believe is $1.2m over 3yr, except they are promoting it as 2yr... I think Joe or someone indicated that the he has been front loaded this year so the first of 3yr is actually this year, but it's all been promoted as a 2yr extension.

Anyway Lodge leaving at $750k and being replaced by Asiata on say $350k + Flegler on $400k seems reasonable and gives us another $400k to play with.

Other than Lodge we've also got other middles in Carrigan, Bull, Riki, Kennedy, Flegler, Kobe and possibly Asiata.

I think Flegler looks like the aggressive enforcer that could replace Lodge... however he needs to vastly improve his consistency (maybe he'll get there this year). Asiata provides better ball playing than Lodge already, excluding the offloads, so he offers us that point of difference in the middle rotation (he has a great opportunity to solidify that this year with Carrigan's injury).

I also think Riki will be moved back to the middle and we'll go after Capewell or Sua. Riki's lanky, athletic and strong, so he's basically built for playing in the middle rotation under Vlando ball.

8. Carrigan
10. Haas
11. Piakura/Capewell/Sua
12. TPJ
13. Asiata

14. Utility/Paix/Billy
15. Riki
16. Flegler
17. Bull

I think we need to ramp up negotiations with TPJ right now... if he seems hesitant at all then we can change our focus to Capewell or Sua (preferably Capewell). That way if TPJ does leave, because his best mate is gone, then at least we will have a ready made 2nd rower in Capewell to partner with him next year... and then Piakura looming for 2023

The only reason I can see for this is to try and sell high to sell high and recover some of the stupid deal for the future.

There's been rumours about him leaving since Kev took over. Maybe Kevvie just doesn't rate him.

We pay all our forwards too much (except Haas). Need majority of money on quality spine players. Young forwards come through all the time that can do a job off the bench on minimum wages. Lodge can go because we signed him on too much money but only if we are not paying more the 100K a year.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • Mister Wright
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • levikaden
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bongo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.