OFFICIAL Merrin to Penrith

Re: [RUMOUR] Merrin to Broncos

.Bring Jai Arrow through over the next couple of years

Merrin is alright, I just don't think we need him, we already have several similar players to him (Parker, McGuire and Blair are all pretty similar to him)

We should be spending our money on wingers and maybe a new hooker in the next couple of years, if McCullough tanks again this year.

I don't mind Merrin, when Bennett was coaching him he was great, and was getting all the raps, unfortunately after Bennett left the Dragons he went down hill, his offloads up the middle dried up and his form took a nose dive. I think under Bennett he would improve again, and in all honesty I think he is far better suited to playing out wide in more of a Glenn/Thaiday style role. If we landed Merrin for 2016 I think you have to consider it's an investment for 2017/2018 when we don't have the likes of Parker and Thaiday anymore.

What looks better

McGuire
McCullough
Blair
Glenn
Gillett
Arrow

or

McGuire
McCullough
Blair
Glenn
Merrin
Gillett

Hell you could even run Merrin in the front row with McGuire shifting to lock ( a position he would excel in I feel ) and Gillett to the second row.

Then you'd have Joe O, Gavet, Arrow etc coming off the bench.

Personally though I don't think we'll get him, he will only come if the Bennett and Broncos factor means more than the money, which I don't think is the case with Merrin.

I don't mind Merrin, when Bennett was coaching him he was great, and was getting all the raps, unfortunately after Bennett left the Dragons he went down hill, his offloads up the middle dried up and his form took a nose dive. I think under Bennett he would improve again, and in all honesty I think he is far better suited to playing out wide in more of a Glenn/Thaiday style role. If we landed Merrin for 2016 I think you have to consider it's an investment for 2017/2018 when we don't have the likes of Parker and Thaiday anymore.

What looks better

McGuire
McCullough
Blair
Glenn
Gillett
Arrow

or

McGuire
McCullough
Blair
Glenn
Merrin
Gillett

Hell you could even run Merrin in the front row with McGuire shifting to lock ( a position he would excel in I feel ) and Gillett to the second row.

Then you'd have Joe O, Gavet, Arrow etc coming off the bench.

Personally though I don't think we'll get him, he will only come if the Bennett and Broncos factor means more than the money, which I don't think is the case with Merrin.
Is your question for 2015 or 2017?

I'm not against him coming ..... we'll need fresh troops in a couple of years time anyway.

Bennett will get him to play to his potential.

No to Merrin. He's not as good as Parker but wants twice the pay. Plus the way he's publicly put all this shit out with his current club just looks poor imo. Let him go to the Titans or Canberra or anywhere else willing to pay superstar cash for good but not great players.

Last edited:

It'll be surprising if he goes to Penrith. I didn't think they were the type to be spending big money on players.

It'll be surprising if he goes to Penrith. I didn't think they were the type to be spending big money on players.

Bennett has never liked spending big money on forwards either.

And i will be extremely disappointed if we are offering more than the 650k a season the Dragons were reportedly offering. In fact i think that is even too high.

Bennett has never liked spending big money on forwards either.

And i will be extremely disappointed if we are offering more than the 650k a season the Dragons were reportedly offering. In fact i think that is even too high.

I don't think we will be offering that much. I think he was saying he wants more just to get away from the Dragons.

Merrin wanted $600000 a season but could not get it from the Dragons. It has been reported that he cannot get that money elsewhere either.
So he will be taking about $400000 - 450000 most likely.

I would say his relationship with the Dragons fell through when they would not give him what he wanted

$400k for Merrin is a bargain. Not many forwards have the offloading ability and good foot work like Trent Merrin.

It wont worry me either way. I think he is a decent player if he comes great but if he doesnt i wont losing any sleep

Last edited:

At that sort of money, for a legit Origin-spec player, that's a great deal. I'd be happy with anything up to $550k TBH, he's pretty much carried the entire Dragons pack for the past few years.

I was only speculating (a la drugs scandal scenario) about the 450000, i because i read he was not going to get the 600000 off any club

I was only speculating (a la drugs scandal scenario) about the 450000, i because i read he was not going to get the 600000 of any club

It's speculation, but it makes sense. and like I said, anything up to $550k will be worth it.

If he comes, one of our second rowers is leaving
If we get him for 400k it would be a steal but I don't want to be paying him much more than that. His price tag he put on himself at the dragons made him out to be a walk on start on the rep arenas which he is not and is a long way from too I might add

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Fozz
  • BRC088
  • HarryAllan7
  • NSW stables
  • Wendall Taylor
  • broncoscope
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • jd87
  • abashii
  • rj9
  • Midean
  • kiwibronco
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.