Milford a Bronco for 4 more years

Done deal! Anthony Milford contract saga ends with four-year Broncos deal

MONTHS of speculation are finally over after Anthony Milford officially re-signed with Brisbane for another four NRL seasons.
As revealed by The Courier-Mail Milford, who fielded a lucrative offer to join Melbourne, will stay at the Broncos until at least the end of the 2021 season.

The Queensland State of Origin prospect was involved in a tug of war with the Storm before Milford finally decided his future, opting to stay at the Broncos.
“I have committed to the club for another four years — I am glad it is over,” Milford told the Broncos website.
“It was about setting up my future. I wanted to be part of a big club.”
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said officials were kept “on our toes” as they worked to keep Milford in Brisbane.
“It’s a major signing for us and we’re obviously very pleased with it,” Bennett said.

“It gives us a lot of security going forward. We don’t have to go through more negotiations.
“We were always on our toes with him, we didn’t want to lose him.
“We’re pleased he’s staying and it’s worked out. He’s got nothing else to worry about,
“He’s got a four-year deal. He’s looking pretty good and he’s happy with that. He can get on with his football.”
Milford, 22, admitted contract talks were drawn out but in the end believed it was an easy decision to knock back a cashed up Storm offer.
“It was an easy decision when it came to my family,” said Milford, whose parents are based in Brisbane.

“My family is always going to be a major part of my decision.
“And what excited me were the young fellas coming through the under 20s here.
“Hopefully we can be a force and win more premierships.”
Milford will can now concentrate on earning a maiden Queensland Origin jumper. Milford will have an early Origin audition when he lines up against Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans in Saturday night’s NRL clash at Suncorp Stadium.
Queensland coach Kevin Walters says both are in the mix to replace Johnathan Thurston if the Maroons five-eighth fails to overcome a shoulder complaint ahead of the May 31 Origin series opener.

Milford has found another gear after lifting in the absence of injured Brisbane halfback Ben Hunt (hamstring).
But Milford tried to play down his influence on the Broncos ahead of their crunch clash, part of the NRL double-header.
“It’s been a lot easier with senior boys like Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd in the team around me,” he said.
“(Hooker) Andrew McCullough also directs us around the park — I guess I just try to put on some finishing touches.”
Milford joined Brisbane from Canberra in 2015.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/b1bfd2a1a40561cb13a5ca5a9baebc57

Anthony Milford signs new contract, what next for Broncos?

ANTHONY Milford has finally put pen to paper on a new deal, allowing Brisbane to lock in the most prized piece of their contract puzzle for 2018 and beyond.
So what next for the Broncos?
With Milford locked away, Brisbane still has plenty of work to do on the retention front. Already this season they’ve re-signed State of Origin stars Corey Oates and Josh McGuire, along with veteran hooker Andrew McCullough and winger David Mead.

A lucrative contract has lured Sharks premiership star Jack Bird to Brisbane, where he could partner Milford in the halves.
That offsets the loss of current halfback Ben Hunt, who is on his way to the Dragons on a massive contract.
The salary cap squeeze could see more players could follow Hunt out the door.
We take a look at the Broncos retention puzzle for 2018.
RETENTION KEYS

DARIUS BOYD
The Brisbane skipper is the next big piece to fall for Brisbane. All signs point to the Test and State of Origin star staying with the Broncos, but Boyd’s management are still finalising parts of his deal as they also look to set him up for life after football.

JAMES ROBERTS
The Brisbane centre will stay with the club beyond this year. It was reported last month that he will get a two- or three-year contract, provided he maintains his off-field behaviour. There has been no movement since this point as the Broncos continue to work with the NSW State of Origin hopeful.
RIVAL TARGETS

JORDAN KAHU
The Broncos have been close to finalising a two-year extension for Kiwi Test flyer and Alex Glenn, but they have had their rivals for Kahu’s signature.
As revealed by The Courier-Mail, Warriors coach Steve Kearney has launched a secret poaching bid for Kahu.

JAI ARROW
The Broncos face a battle to retain the player earmarked to replace Broncos legend Corey Parker, with the Titans circling workhorse Arrow.
Gold Coast coach Neil Henry has sounded out Arrow’s management over the possibility of the forward returning to his home town.
UP IN THE AIR

BENJI MARSHALL
The former Tigers and Dragons star’s stint in Brisbane has been cruelled by injury, but he’s keen to continue in the NRL. Whether that will be in Broncos colours remains to be seen.
Marshall’s manager Mario Tartak has confirmed the ex-Kiwis Test captain has no plans to retire and would ideally like to stay at Red Hill, but to do so he is looking at another season on a contract worth about $100,000.
“He’d love to remain at the Broncos but it will depend on where there is an opportunity,” Tartak said.
— Travis Meyn
FULL BRONCOS OFF-CONTRACT LIST

Courtesy Fox Sports’ Market Watch
Jai Arrow, Joe Boyce, Darius Boyd, Mitch Cronin, Mitchell Dodds, Salesi Funaki, Alex Glenn, Jordan Kahu, Benji Marshall, Francis Molo, Joe Ofahengaue, James Roberts, Marion Seve, Travis Waddell
POTENTIAL 2018 BRONCOS LINE-UP

1. UN-SIGNED (Darius Boyd)
2. Corey Oates
3. UN-SIGNED (James Roberts)
4. Tautau Moga
5. UN-SIGNED (Jordan Kahu)
6. Jack Bird
7. Anthony Milford
8. Korbin Sims
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire.
14. UN-SIGNED (Alex Glenn)
15. UN-SIGNED (Joe Ofahengaue)
16. Herman Ese’ese
17. UN-SIGNED (Jai Arrow)
18. Kodi Nikorima

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/40beaf38f7659281935d5c11e9b842a1

lol Benji passively threatening to leave if he isn't halfback next year?

TPJ is signed for next season so add him to the bench on that potential 2018 lineup.

A bench of Nikorima, TPJ, Ese'ese and Lodge would be have some impact.

TPJ is signed for next season so add him to the bench on that potential 2018 lineup.

A bench of Nikorima, TPJ, Ese'ese and Lodge would be have some impact.

I think Sims will stay on the bench with either Lodge (if he does end up signing) or Ese'ese starting.

Definitely don't think Ofahengaue will be around next season.

It is a good thing that most of our starting seventeen is locked up already
Also Lurker reckoned Barba is kicking himself because he didn't contact Bird before he signed with us.

Also Lurker reckoned Barba is kicking himself because he didn't contact Bird before he signed with us.

Poor ole Benny, seems to be holding a bit of a grudge because Wayne didn't want him.

Yeah because barba didn't succeed under Bennett apparently ??? Pretty sure wayne sent him packing!

If we also re-sign Roberts, compare this year with the amazing Hook's signing spree for 2014. Barba! Kenendy! Lowrie! Mills! Add them together, and you'd probably get Maranta.

I would hope Bird would have a lot more common sense than to be taking career advice of Ben Barba the king of fuckups aka Todd Carney the second

It was all over the news for a good week that he might sign here. Barba must have been pretty busy that week.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • Cavalo
  • Midean
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Lostboy
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Mr Fourex
  • Manifesto
  • HarryAllan7
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.