National Anthem dumped from State of Origin.

That’s fucking ridiculous lol!

They can say sorry 1000 times over and it won’t make a difference. If someone takes your kid or you as a kid were taken from your family, sorry isn’t going to mean squat.
Until things are seen for what they really are like the flag, Australian day and the anthem no one will move on and until the majority come together and push for those changes it’s not going to happen. Politicians are too scared to go against the majority

Feeling guilty for a past you had nothing to do with isn’t constructive. What is constructive is understanding the past, understanding why people may feel certain ways about things and helping push for those reminders to be changed. Once that movement starts the healing can begin

Well put.

Unfortunately, none of that fits the agenda:

Scomo

Who is that in your pic by the by Roo?

Well put.

Unfortunately, none of that fits the agenda:

View attachment 10399

Yeah you are not wrong.

Once the majority come together and threaten the politicians precious votes that will soon change. We have politicians that care about money and power more then they do about people so you threaten both those things at the same time and they will soon find a way to make the necessary changes

I’ve always said New Zealand is head and shoulders above Australia in regards to this topic. They are proud of their indigenous people and embrace the culture as their own

A big thing I notice in NZ, and I could be way off since I don't reside there, but there is a hell of a lot more respect from both sides of the debate over there, where over here it all seems to be a constant stream of whinging, where over there it comes across like everything is thought out, planned, and only then, do we get in front of a camera.

I think it's awesome how they've embraced Maori culture through schooling for many many years. Before we left primary school we knew about Maori culture, how it fit in with us, the country, the respect it is to be shown, we'd been to see their ceremonies etc. Hell, even the older generation in my family now interchange some English with Maori in general conversation.

I guess the big different between the two, the Maori's had their shit together when the English showed up. Hell, there were apparently already Maoris in Sydney at the time. They of course fought back, and many of those who didn't fight, had good relationships and understanding with the English. Forcing a treaty is what setup the Maori population to have a fighting chance to push for equality, even if it was many many years later.

I dunno why, but that surprises me.

I get that reaction a fair bit oddly enough, because I like Spaced and Peep Show and a few other english comedies, not too many though.

A big thing I notice in NZ, and I could be way off since I don't reside there, but there is a hell of a lot more respect from both sides of the debate over there, where over here it all seems to be a constant stream of whinging, where over there it comes across like everything is thought out, planned, and only then, do we get in front of a camera.

I think it's awesome how they've embraced Maori culture through schooling for many many years. Before we left primary school we knew about Maori culture, how it fit in with us, the country, the respect it is to be shown, we'd been to see their ceremonies etc. Hell, even the older generation in my family now interchange some English with Maori in general conversation.

I guess the big different between the two, the Maori's had their shit together when the English showed up. Hell, there were apparently already Maoris in Sydney at the time. They of course fought back, and many of those who didn't fight, had good relationships and understanding with the English. Forcing a treaty is what setup the Maori population to have a fighting chance to push for equality, even if it was many many years later.

Yeah there was a big difference between the two cultures. The Maoris had experience in combat and had already wiped out an entire race of people by that time. They knew exactly how to respond when their land was threatened and had the tactics to fight back. Aboriginal people were hunter gathers, no match for the most advanced army in the world at the time.

I find it amazing how New Zealand have handles the relationship between the two, the differences is that there isn’t the same hurt that went on in the first settlement and they have made the necessary steps to include everybody

Last edited:
Yeah a there was a big difference between the two cultures. The Maoris had experience in combat and had already wiped out an entire race of people by that time. They knew exactly how to respond when their land was threatened and had the tactics to fight back. Aboriginal people were hunter gathers, no match for the most advanced army in the world at the time.

I find it amazing how New Zealand have handles the relationship between the two, the differences is that there isn’t the same hurt that went on in the first settlement and they have made the necessary steps to include everybody

This question is one of complete ignorance, I know **** all about Aboriginal culture, and what they go through. I've never been taught it like I have with Maori stuff.

But what do the NZ Government do better for example? I was surprised to hear that it is taught in schools over here according to the missus, but is it much. We were taught so much there, than taking the wife to the Auckland Museum, I was bored walking around and "learning" about all the Maori culture, tools, their boats etc. as it was nothing new to me.

I get that reaction a fair bit oddly enough, because I like Spaced and Peep Show and a few other english comedies, not too many though.

I very rarely watch TV, and I haven't seen a hell of a lot of it, but I've always found it pretty funny and out there when baked off my tits when it's been on.

This question is one of complete ignorance, I know **** all about Aboriginal culture, and what they go through. I've never been taught it like I have with Maori stuff.

But what do the NZ Government do better for example? I was surprised to hear that it is taught in schools over here according to the missus, but is it much. We were taught so much there, than taking the wife to the Auckland Museum, I was bored walking around and "learning" about all the Maori culture, tools, their boats etc. as it was nothing new to me.

I think the Moari culture is just more celebrated and excepted by the average kiwi. They are taught the culture and have embraced it as their own. They teach the language in the school and have included it in the National anthem which shows the highest respect to the culture. They have the Treaty of Waitang which is celebrated by everyone with a public holiday.
Aboriginals have NAIDOC Week which isn’t even a public holiday and a lot of people don’t even realise it’s on, if you have a full time job it’s hard to even get to it.

I very rarely watch TV, and I haven't seen a hell of a lot of it, but I've always found it pretty funny and out there when baked off my tits when it's been on.

I'd probably watch it if it came on somehow, but I wouldn't seek it out. I often only give things a go on a whim. I tried the IT Crowd a little while ago, it was pretty good.

On your other point really quick, schools do NAIDOC week and there is an attempt to incorporate indigenous culture into the learning here, but the curriculum is basically overloaded and there is so much assessment at such a young age there is very little room for meaningful exploration or discussion on the topic and of course, avoiding controversy is a concern in public schools.

Australia is the only Commonwealth nation that doesn't have a treaty with its Indigenous people

I think the Moari culture is just more celebrated and excepted by the average kiwi. They are taught the culture and have embraced it as their own. They teach the language in the school and have included it in the National anthem which shows the highest respect to the culture. They have the Treaty of Waitang which is celebrated by everyone with a public holiday.
Aboriginals have NAIDOC Week which isn’t even a public holiday and a lot of people don’t even realise it’s on, if you have a full time job it’s hard to even get to it.

They really haven't done a lot over the years, when you break it down and look at it. They just did what needed to happen, to slowly make the positive change. It's worked well.

Waitangi Day is once of the few public holidays over there that do seem to invoke remembering the past. There wouldn't be a Kiwi on that day not realise the importance of the day, but for most, it's more important because they get a day off.

Would teaching Aboriginal language be difficult given how many there are across the country?

Also. I'm sick of saying Aboriginal. Am I allowed to say Abo, or is that actually seen as disrespectful? I'm just lazy and want to shorten it, it's the Aussie way you know.

Australia is the only Commonwealth nation that doesn't have a treaty with its Indigenous people

Because most people who need to be on board for that, don't understand the importance of those treaties. The reality is, they mean **** all, but it symbolises an acceptance, and is a starting point for making meaningful contributions to change.

They really haven't done a lot over the years, when you break it down and look at it. They just did what needed to happen, to slowly make the positive change. It's worked well.

Waitangi Day is once of the few public holidays over there that do seem to invoke remembering the past. There wouldn't be a Kiwi on that day not realise the importance of the day, but for most, it's more important because they get a day off.

Would teaching Aboriginal language be difficult given how many there are across the country?

Also. I'm sick of saying Aboriginal. Am I allowed to say Abo, or is that actually seen as disrespectful? I'm just lazy and want to shorten it, it's the Aussie way you know.
Abo is definitely disrespectful. Maybe go with Indig if you want a shorter word than Aboriginal or Indigenous.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • eggstar10
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • kiwibronco
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • ezpz
  • RodF
  • Redux
  • broncs30
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.