No More Golden Point In Finals?

Didn't you watch his press conference this year when we beat them in golden point?
Sour grapes if I have ever saw them, him and Thurston were having a good old whinge about how we was robbed

Most coaches whinge. Ours whinged last week about knees. I wasn't asking about sour grapes, I'm asking how their whinging has influenced decisions made against them, and how Thurston is protected.

Thurston touched a ref last round and didn't get charged. Mckendry got a week for an identical incident.

Thurston touched a ref last round and didn't get charged. Mckendry got a week for an identical incident.

Yeah, but I'm sure there were more players than just Thurston. We all know the NRL are fucking useless when it comes to being consistent.

i like the excitement that the golden point gathers, but i think it should be 10 minutes of golden point time. who ever gets the most wins, obviously. tries count too :)

i like the excitement that the golden point gathers, but i think it should be 10 minutes of golden point time. who ever gets the most wins, obviously. tries count too :)

That would make it "extra time", not "golden point time" ;)

The finals should be just like the NBA. 5 minute allotments until there is a clear winner. If you get a field goal in the first 30 seconds it should be your responsibility to defend that for 4 1/2 minutes. If you don't, you either lose or play another 5 minutes.

Paul green has a point in that we would be playing under a different rule in finals than the rest of the year, that is his main objection.

Personally the whole golden point thing has never made sense. You can have a draw after 90 mins but not after 80. A draw is still a fair result IMO.

As far as finals go golden point would have to come into it sooner or later. It's not an option to have a replay. If you play 10 mins each way with no result then what ? another 5 each way and so on?
So, whats fair, would it be any less painful to lose in GP after 10 each way.? I guess you could say at least your team had a chance in extra time before going to GP but you could say the same of any golden point. The GF last year we had 80 mins to win it.

Personally I could live with 5 each way and golden try but any points count if no golden try then golden point after that if no team has scored.

What I like about extra time is that it invites teams to play their natural game. The problem with golden point is that it really isn't 10 extra minutes, instead what you're getting is two lots of five minutes football and I don't think it's conducive in gaining a result. How many times has a side been in a position to win it but time has been called on the first half so we've got to go through all the same motions?

Plus, five minute footy locks you into a field goal mentality and doesn't reward you enough to take a different approach.

What I like about extra time is that it invites teams to play their natural game. The problem with golden point is that it really isn't 10 extra minutes, instead what you're getting is two lots of five minutes football and I don't think it's conducive in gaining a result. How many times has a side been in a position to win it but time has been called on the first half so we've got to go through all the same motions?

Plus, five minute footy locks you into a field goal mentality and doesn't reward you enough to take a different approach.

I agree BP but any extra time period has to be split to allow for weather, wind particularly to be fair.

Which is why I would incorporate the old system of extra time for finals.

I find the whole concept of 'fairness' in golden point to be absurd. "We want you to achieve a result, but we'll only give you two lots of five minutes to achieve it otherwise it would be unfair. If you can't do that, well, I guess it was just meant to be a draw and you've been forced to play longer minutes than any other team because you just so happened to be equal on the scoreboard after eighty."

Active Now

• Dash
  • Johnny92
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Lostboy
  • Bish
  • simplythebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • Griffo
  • leon.bott
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Rambstien
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.