NOT CROSS FORUM NRL 2023 Round 19 Discussion

Sounds like they might bring an origin game to NZ in 2027. 4 years to save up.
I meant NZ origin, we are all Kiwis, we don't have the enmity the Oz states have for each other.

Always had a dislike of Golden Point... I know it's for entertainment value and fans want a winner (or so they say) Bit unfair after 80min slugging it out in regular time that 1 team is forced to walk away with nothing. That 1 pt for a draw could be the difference in playing finals footy or not...

Always had a dislike of Golden Point... I know it's for entertainment value and fans want a winner (or so they say) Bit unfair after 80min slugging it out in regular time that 1 team is forced to walk away with nothing. That 1 pt for a draw could be the difference in playing finals footy or not...
I’d love to see this change too.
Draws through the season count - it’s also a great way to mix up the points table, and not as much reliance on points differential.

Golden try for finals. You can then kick a field goal to take the lead in extra time, but less onus on controversial reffing decisions , and if anything are more likely to call a penalty as it might not cost a team the game.
Seemed pretty basic to me.

And while we are at it, no points for byes,.. what’s that all about?

I can't remember where I wrote it on our boards but you could easily have a week of international / state fixtures three times during the season and it would stop the lopsidedness of some of the contests with origin players out affecting teams unfairly.

Something like:
Thursday 8pm: NZ v England women
Friday 6pm: Wales v Cook Islands
Friday 8pm: Samoa v Tonga
Saturday 3:00pm: France v Lebanon
Saturday 5:30pm: PNG v Fiji
Saturday 8.00pm: NZ v England men
Sunday 4.00pm: Qld v NSW women
Sunday 8.00pm: Qld v NSW men

Now of course you would need to spend more time thinking this through than I have but this would be such a cool week to look forward to with all of these games. If the northern hemisphere teams can't get involved, bring in some extra women's games or city v country.

Cos we don't have the same appetite for origin type stuff
They still got 15000 pi peeps at Robina/Campbelltown/Penrith etc. Great games those being surrounded by our passionate pi brothers and sisters

I can't remember where I wrote it on our boards but you could easily have a week of international / state fixtures three times during the season and it would stop the lopsidedness of some of the contests with origin players out affecting teams unfairly.

Something like:
Thursday 8pm: NZ v England women
Friday 6pm: Wales v Cook Islands
Friday 8pm: Samoa v Tonga
Saturday 3:00pm: France v Lebanon
Saturday 5:30pm: PNG v Fiji
Saturday 8.00pm: NZ v England men
Sunday 4.00pm: Qld v NSW women
Sunday 8.00pm: Qld v NSW men

Now of course you would need to spend more time thinking this through than I have but this would be such a cool week to look forward to with all of these games. If the northern hemisphere teams can't get involved, bring in some extra women's games or city v country.
Don't think NRL will be happy losing more SOO players to Samoa and Tonga if they choose to play for country over origin during that period.

The game yesterday being decided by a penalty is a shit way for a game to be decided, but I hope it happens more often.
Really the game was decided when GC tried to do an offload and knocked the ball on in the set before the kick.

That in necessary fatigue error deserved to lose them the game and the penalty just confirmed it

Don't think NRL will be happy losing more SOO players to Samoa and Tonga if they choose to play for country over origin during that period.

I don't think they will purely because of the financial benefits of playing SOO. They stand to earn a lot more than playing for Samoa or Tonga.

Anyway, like I said, this is based on like five minutes thought, if time was actually devoted to making it happen, it could easily be made to work.

Really the game was decided when GC tried to do an offload and knocked the ball on in the set before the kick.

That un-necessary fatigue error deserved to lose them the game and the penalty just confirmed it

And the Dolphins had got themselves into a position where the FG was an absolute sitter if Isaako didn't have to rush it due to the offside.

An Issue with that is the opposite was happening, every single player was picking Origin over their country.

But the mid year Pacific tests were cancelled purely because they didn't want to have Origin on the weekend which allowed normal club games to go back there, nothing else.

Imo it does suck, but having island test games with loads of players out playing Origin instead was also a bit flawed, to make it work the internationals need their own standalone week with no Origin.

The only test that would work in that Period would be a NZ vs England game since no Origin conflict.

Origin doesn't belong in the NRL season as far as I'm concerned. Neither do 3 byes.

It does convolute the results, but then the Origin rounds have unearthed some superstar up & comers in the past. I think the Storm particularly have benefited from a couple of rounds to give their depth a crack.

I also agree with Bruce. Home and away. That way you don't have a team like the Raiders getting a good finals spot they don't really deserve on the back of a kind draw.
You don't think the Cowboys have benefitted from having players play SOO? They were pretty poor prior to SOO but have been on a bit of streak since having some players play.

What do our Wahs and Silvertails friends think of all the fuss being kicked up about Origin depleted games all of a sudden?

Very convenient that Eels and Rabbits lose one impacted game a piece and now suddenly parts of the media are pushing for change.
To be fair to Eels, they are the only team in the comp with no bye in the 3 origin effected rounds, it's just they won 2 of them and lost 1.

But it does highlight how unfair the draw is at current, with an uneven amount of teams every season, it will involve a team getting this shit.

Because the game bends the knee to the TV companies, their revenue comes before a fair competition, a draw where you don't play everyone twice which doesn't even have a rotation of you playing the teams you didn't play twice the seasons after is inherently unfair.

Just like the obvious playing in the Origin effected rounds when some teams no matter how good or bad they are have no one out.

Because the TV companies can't handle not having club games in this time the fairness of competition suffers.

Ofcourse if the NRL administration actually looked out for the game and factored this into the negotiations things could be different, but we have a puppet show in the highest levels of this competition, including their army of lapdogs in the media to try get the public to swallow the agenda.

To be fair to Eels, they are the only team in the comp with no bye in the 3 origin effected rounds, it's just they won 2 of them and lost 1.

But it does highlight how unfair the draw is at current, with an uneven amount of teams every season, it will involve a team getting this shit.
It's more complicated than I thought, any scenario for using bye weeks for internationals has problems and conflicts with origin. Doesn't seem to be solvable.

I don't think they will purely because of the financial benefits of playing SOO. They stand to earn a lot more than playing for Samoa or Tonga.

Anyway, like I said, this is based on like five minutes thought, if time was actually devoted to making it happen, it could easily be made to work.
Same here bro going off less than 5 mins thought and you could be right but just thinking back to the COVID year where a few players chose pride of country over origin money. Has made the international games a lot more interesting in the long run and if they're serious about expanding rugby league internationally could see them being receptive of the idea or something similar.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • bazza
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • Skathen
  • Mister Wright
  • FACTHUNT
  • BruiserMk1
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Stix
  • ell.d33
  • Lostboy
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Behind enemy lines
  • GCBRONCO
  • Aldo
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.