NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was only last year I was at a Broncos vs Warriors game, near some jovial NZ supporters, bantering on about 'Fudge' packer. No one's laughing now. He'll have to change his name to 'Packee'.

Pretty harsh sentence but he did continually strike the victim when he feel motionless to the ground and threw the first punch. Pretty pathetic behaviour really and it was all over a pair of smokes.

Fantastic lawyer:

"THE lawyer of NRL player Russell Packer has challenged a magistrate's decision to imprison him for two years, claiming he had "no idea" a punishment so severe was being considered by the court."

Pretty harsh sentence but he did continually strike the victim when he feel motionless to the ground and threw the first punch. Pretty pathetic behaviour really and it was all over a pair of smokes.

The guys knocked out and Packer continues to hit him....then stomps on his head for good measure. He's lucky he didn't kill him!!

The guys knocked out and Packer continues to hit him....then stomps on his head for good measure. He's lucky he didn't kill him!!

I understand what he did was fucked up and i am not going to excuse his behaviour because it truly is inexcusable, but in comparison to some of the other sentences or lack there of being handed out to 'king hitters' i feel it was pretty harsh. Keiran Loveridge the kid who killed Thomas Kelley in Kings Cross only copped a 4 year sentence and had a pretty substantial criminal record. I think the biggest issue to come out of this sentence is the lack of continuity in the justice system.

I understand what he did was fucked up and i am not going to excuse his behaviour because it truly is inexcusable, but in comparison to some of the other sentences or lack there of being handed out to 'king hitters' i feel it was pretty harsh. Keiran Loveridge the kid who killed Thomas Kelley in Kings Cross only copped a 4 year sentence and had a pretty substantial criminal record. I think the biggest issue to come out of this sentence is the lack of continuity in the justice system.
Russell's sentence is not the issue. It's not harsh, in fact it's more than adequate for the offence!
Other sentences however, are the ridiculous ones, like the 4 years given to Keiran...

Russell's sentence is not the issue. It's not harsh, in fact it's more than adequate for the offence!
Other sentences however, are the ridiculous ones, like the 4 years given to Keiran...

Exactly....we shouldn't be measuring Packers sentence against the countless of other shit decisions made by the courts.

As Harry said.....Packer is lucky he didn't kill the guy and in which case if he did, then animal acts like his should be classed as murder

not manslaughter or any other soft **** pus the legal system want to call it.

The Keiran Loveridge decison is the wrong one.........not the other way around.

Fair point to make, but lets start the consistency with appropriate sentences, not joke ones like the kings cross bloke got.

The DPP are appealing against the Kieran Loveridge sentence.

:adore:to magistrate Greg Grogan. :hail:

Yeah I know they are contesting it, but my point was in comparison to other sentences along the same lines his seems overly harsh. King hits are becoming the norm down here over the weekends when people are on the drink, more and more young people are ending up with brain damage and the like so I take my hat off to the judge for taking a stand against thuggery. However It does seem like packer is a bit of a scapegoat for other judges handing out piss weak sentences.

One released on bail pending court and one convicted after the trial.

Love the sensationalist "journalism"

The guy was already out on bail and was granted it again, how being involved in a serious assault isn't a breach of bail I'll never know

The guy was already out on bail and was granted it again, how being involved in a serious assault isn't a breach of bail I'll never know

I don't know what that guy did, but he wasn't the one who threw the punch.

Happy 106th birthday to the Sydney Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • phoenix
  • lynx000
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Redfern_1980
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • Gaz
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • Locky24
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.