NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Nah the case gets adjourned and you get charged with failing to appear. At least that's what my mate told me.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Sterlo 1 on 1 with Jharal Yow Yeh tonight, get the tissues ready.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I can't say I'm sold on the idea being floated at the moment of fines instead of suspensions for some infractions including touching the ref. This, IMO, will just open the door for players to be taken out in big games like Origin and semis.

FMD if they can only find a grade 2 careless for Taupaus hit on Bird and they want to turn that into a fine situation things will deteriorate and quickly.
Even Klemmers ref touch would attract a fine.

On that, I have no idea how the **** Des got him off that. Out of all the touches that was most likely to get a suspension. The touch was not aggressive but the action of getting in front of the ref and putting his hand there to stop him while he said his piece was. I thought only the captain was allowed to talk to the ref anyway which is another thing bought in with lots of coverage but has dropped off.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I just read on Twitter than apparently Will Hopoate won't play any NRL games on Sunday, because of his religion.

Lol.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I just read on Twitter than apparently Will Hopoate won't play any NRL games on Sunday, because of his religion.

Lol.

A little strange.

He has played in 5 Sunday games since he returned to the NRL..

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Lol.

Bash the Christians again. We're so dumb, laugh at us everyone! (That's not aimed at you personally BTW). This isn't a new revelation...

How Parramatta's Will Hopoate attempted to again put God before football

A grand final is the pinnacle for all footballers, but if Parramatta were to get to one Will Hopoate would prefer not to play. Or in any other game scheduled on a Sunday.
Fairfax Media can reveal Hopoate's management, as part of negotiations for a contract extension with the Eels, floated the prospect of the devout Mormon being exempt from playing on Sundays on religious grounds.
Hopoate has already demonstrated his commitment to his faith is greater than that to his career. The centre was at the peak of his powers at Manly in 2011, earning a State of Origin jersey after a breakout year in which he won a premiership. That grand final, in which he set up a crucial try with a miraculous flick pass to Glenn Stewart, was his last game of football for two seasons. At the age of 20 and with the league world at his feet, Hopoate put football on hold to embark on missionary work for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Hopoate kept fit by working out privately while spreading the gospel in league-mad Queensland where he was often recognised by footy fans during his posting. At the end of his missionary duties he took up a lucrative two-year contract with the Eels, believed to be worth $1.5 million.

Hopoate's management had been in negotiations for an extension, but a dispute has arisen between the parties and the matter is now before the Supreme Court. Hopoate's management believes they have executed a written contract extension worth a base wage of $575,000, plus $100,000 extra in marquee player allowances, plus third-party agreements if they are forthcoming. The club is challenging the claims.
The parties attempted to head off legal action with a fresh round of talks and it's understood the Eels tabled a lesser counter offer. It's understood that during the process, Team Hopoate raised the prospect of their client being exempt from Sunday matches due to his strict beliefs. Parramatta officials denied the request and the request is likely to be revealed in court when the matter is heard.
"It was a consideration between Will but it was never put to the club," said Hopoate's manager, Tyran Smith.
Parramatta also declined to elaborate on the Sunday exemption.
"The club does not comment on private negotiations," a spokesperson said. "As the matter is before the courts we won't be providing a running commentary on speculation."
Hopoate was earmarked as the long-term replacement for Jarryd Hayne and began the year at fullback. (It was during this period that contract negotiations commenced.) However, the experiment failed and he returned to his customary centre position. While he hasn't been able to recapture the form he showed before his Mormon mission, Hopoate retained his three-quarters spot with the Blues.
In a further contract complication, it's believed failed third-party arrangements had left Hopoate with a shortfall in his promised salary, although these are negotiated at arm's length to the club.
In a statement posted on mormon.org.au before his mission, Hopoate opened up about the role religion plays in his life.
"I'm a Mormon because it brings happiness into my life and those around me," Hopoate posted at the time. "The emphasis on family in the church has helped bring my family together to become stronger and support each other. I have found that if I put the Lord first in my life, everything else falls into place and I know I've been blessed with amazing opportunities and joy because of that. I feel that being Mormon and having strong faith in God helps me keep a greater perspective of my life and the things that are the most important, like family and faith."
Several Mormon NFL players have wrestled with the same dilemma as Hopoate, and devout Christian Michael Jones enjoyed a distinguished career for the All Blacks even though he didn't play Tests on Sundays.

From September lat year.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
What happens if the Bulldogs make the grand final?

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Is anyone watching the Footy Show this morning . Is Joey um up there?

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Is anyone watching the Footy Show this morning . Is Joey um up there?

Yeah and him and Freddy keep making drug references and laughing about it with each other and must think noone else gets them.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I could see the gears moving in Joey's head.

He really wanted to argue the JT and Morgan no-try decisions but realised that he didn't have the energy to get into it on a Sunday morning.

On the other hand, Freddy seemed like he was ready to break the footage down frame by frame.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
This is the first time I've watched The Sunday Footy show for a while, because I thought they'd have good insight and break down of the Broncos win on Friday night. Boy was I wrong. They just talked shit about The Bunker for 10 minutes, interviewed David Klemmer, now are talking to Dylan Nappa. Do they even do any actual game analysis anymore?

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
This is the first time I've watched The Sunday Footy show for a while, because I thought they'd have good insight and break down of the Broncos win on Friday night. Boy was I wrong. They just talked shit about The Bunker for 10 minutes, interviewed David Klemmer, now are talking to Dylan Nappa. Do they even do any actual game analysis anymore?
That's something Sterlo was pretty good at when he was on.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
After the break now, after a fucking hour of their bullshit they're finally gonna talk about the games.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's a longer format now, so what they usually do is touch on the game to begin with to talk about the larger issues affecting the game before diving into each game.

It isn't as compact as it was in say 2011 but I don't mind it either.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Then they didn't even review the Broncos game.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
After the break now, after a fucking hour of their bullshit they're finally gonna talk about the games.

If the Sunday Footy show pisses you off don't ever, ever watch the Thursday one. It is complete garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Galah
  • Santa
  • sooticus
  • dasherhalo
  • Robboi_321
  • mystico
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.