NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
NRL have always been reactive.

They will never be proactive by the looks of it.

They were proactive about it a hundred fucking years ago. The game has gone backwards in that regard.

Last edited:
ABC grandstand were just slamming the NRL for the fact that Josh Reynolds wont miss a game for his 3rd trip in the last 2 seasons.

They have said that the NRL are basically saying tripping is a legal act.

But when someone breaks a leg because they were tripped, only then will the NRL have a problem with it.

This is why I'm all for the video ref being able to step in whenever it sees something. I hate the "let the game flow, if the refs miss it, too bad". It's for instances like this where the video ref should tip off the on-field ref and Reynolds gets marched.

This is why I'm all for the video ref being able to step in whenever it sees something. I hate the "let the game flow, if the refs miss it, too bad". It's for instances like this where the video ref should tip off the on-field ref and Reynolds gets marched.

It'll just make things less consistent. They can already do it with dropouts and scrums, but they don't always, and it's impossible to guess why or when.

"Let the game flow, if the ref misses it, too bad... oh except for this one specific situation. No others though. Don't want to ruin the flow of the game by getting decisions correct".

[FONT=&amp]This weekend’s NRL round was one to forget

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]AUGUST 1, 20161:59PM

bdb10f9de314fa8f2d1fc29701236d8c

Many believe Frizell was hard done by.

james-matthry.png

James Mattheynews.com.au@jamesmatthey

dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

• Email a friend

SIGH. It just never ends, does it?

Rugby league — the so called “greatest game of all” — deteriorated into “the game that’s got plenty of flaws but can still be alright sometimes I guess” based on some mind-boggling calls that nobody can make sense of.
Referees have the hardest job in the NRL and cop a hammering every week, but thankfully the men with the whistles aren’t the ones under the pump. This time around it’s the inconsistency from those with the luxury of watching things as many times as they like in slow motion that’s getting flogged.
That is, those in charge of the bunker and the match review committee. Refs who have to make split-second decisions under fatigue don’t deserve so much of the criticism sent their way, but when mistakes are made in an air-conditioned room with people to bounce thoughts off, you can understand why fans have been left baffled.
FRIZELL’S PUNISHMENT — ‘IT’S CRAZY’
bc80bd26edddcb64b8ccf5778c467f39

Tyson Frizell will be watching from the stands next week.Source:AAP

First off, there was Tyson Frizell getting a one-week ban for touching a ref in the Dragons’ loss to Canterbury on Friday night. He grazed the official on his way back into the defensive line and was the victim of the NRL’s zero-tolerance policy this year when it comes to touching referees.
“The judiciary’s inconsistencies are doing people’s head in. Tyson Frizell accidentally touches a referee ... I know there’s no tolerance on it, but it’s crazy,” Matty Johns said on Triple M’s The Grill Team on Monday morning.
“I understand they’ve got zero tolerance but how about a bit of common sense around that thing? That was absolutely ridiculous, no menace at all and he’ll miss a week of footy,” co-host Gus Worland added.
Andrew Johns just rolled his head back and tried to stop himself from bursting out laughing when asked about the sanction on the Nine Network’s Sunday Footy Show.
While obviously there was no malice from Frizell, players know these days you just can’t get away with making any contact whatsoever with a ref. However, the tweet below from Fox Sports commentator Warren Smith shows the real reason fans should be confused.

Follow

Warren Smith @WarrenSmithFOX

I'm a firm believer in sanctions for touching refs, but only 2 of 3 attached situations were charged by MRC. Why?
11:16 PM - 31 Jul 2016

It’s difficult to accept the NRL’s zero tolerance policy when you consider the above. Additionally, Trent Merrin escaped any charge despite touching a referee in round two when Penrith played the Bulldogs, and David Klemmer was found not-guilty in March when he challenged his contrary conduct charge for clearly touching ref Ben Cummins.
It seems like zero tolerance and common sense just can’t coexist.
REYNOLDS’ TRIP — ‘IT JUST DOESN’T MAKE SENSE’
14e4696b19d76ea49ac5d4a9d32d4c8f

The leg is for kicking, not for tripping, Josh.Source:News Corp Australia

In the same game Frizell was charged, Josh Reynolds stuck a leg out and tripped Dragon Joel Thompson, robbing him of a certain try as he stumbled and fell just inches short of the paint.
The Dogs’ number six has form in that department, having copped a two-match suspension for tripping Ben Barba in 2014 and doing the same to Tariq Sims in the annual City vs Country clash last year, for which he served a one-game ban.
His infringement on Friday was classed as a grade one offence, meaning an early guilty plea will see him back on the park next week, but he’ll likely miss a game if he fights the charge and loses.
Brisbane and Queensland great Darren Lockyer said the absence of a more severe punishment for Reynolds was incomprehensible.
“When you compare it to the trip, it just doesn’t make sense,” Lockyer said on theSunday Footy Show. “(Tripping) is not in the spirit of the game.
“We’re suspending people who touch referees, that’s not in the spirit of the game.
“If he’s (Reynolds) a repeat offender, the message obviously isn’t hitting home.”
“We’re losing fans, we’ve got to change the rule book or change the people making those decisions,” Brad Fittler added on the same program.
“We’re losing fans, they’re disengaging with the game.”
Matty Johns also had his say on Monday.
“Josh Reynolds hangs a foot out, which I think everyone who watched it thought that’s going to be two to three weeks and he escapes suspension,” he said, clearly mystified.
‘IT’S WORSE THAN EVER’
Go ahead and combine all that with the bunker’s call to disallow a try to Broncos rookie Herman Ese’ese against the Roosters on Thursday night — a decision that raised the blood pressure of league fans everywhere.

“The first month or so of the NRL season this year we were going, ‘Yes, we’ve found the answer,’ and now it’s gone back to square one,” Mark Geyer said on The Grill Team.
“It’s paralysis by analysis.”
“It’s worse than ever,” Matty Johns added.
Then there was the question that pops up after every golden point game getting another run when the Warriors beat the Panthers on Saturday evening — does the officiating change after 80 minutes?
Shaun Johnson sealed the Warriors’ first win in three consecutive games that have gone to extra-time with a brilliant solo four-pointer. The New Zealand halfback said he decided against going for a field goal based on what he’d learnt about the refereeing in previous golden-point encounters.
“I obviously got charged down the play before, so refs don’t blow penalties for offside in golden point, so I knew they (the opposition) were always going to get to me,” Johnson said afterwards.
“And it’s funny, I learnt my lesson from a few weeks ago, where I wished I had actually done that, beat that first player and then let instinct take over.
“So I watched the tape from that and I was happy I could do it. Probably didn’t expect to score a try off it, but I was glad I could come up with that play.”
It was a wacky weekend. Can you blame people for having no idea what’s going on?
Gus Worland summed it all up.
“I listened all around the radio dial this weekend, everyone is just so peed off at the moment with the bunker, with the referees, with how the game is being run,” he said.
“It’s just ridiculous, they’re ruining something that’s really, really good and people are peed off about it.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/th...t/news-story/36eabe0117c52a70e3aaa025b200a357
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Such a good article!!!! Though he will probably be sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute despite them having no power over the writer. The NRL has become a joke...well an even worse one. There seem to be very few people in positions that matter that are all that competent. It is my biggest gripe with this great game and they are right, they are turning fans away from the game.

I was watching Manly vs Newcastle yesterday (Newcastle is my second team and always has been as I have strong connections to the area) and turned to my better half and admitted I really couldn't care less about the NRL anymore. Don't get me wrong, I will always support the Broncos and watch every single game of theirs I can but just have no interest in any other games anymore. I used to live and breathe league, even when living overseas but now, well I just don't really care anymore unless the Broncs are playing. But even then, I know there are just going to be an endless supply of mind-blowing decisions that will most likely ruin the game one way or another. Even if Newcastle (my second team) were doing well, I still just wouldn't care anymore. It makes my blood boil how much this great game is being destroyed little by little.

Such a good article!!!! Though he will probably be sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute despite them having no power over the writer. The NRL has become a joke...well an even worse one. There seem to be very few people in positions that matter that are all that competent. It is my biggest gripe with this great game and they are right, they are turning fans away from the game.

I was watching Manly vs Newcastle yesterday (Newcastle is my second team and always has been as I have strong connections to the area) and turned to my better half and admitted I really couldn't care less about the NRL anymore. Don't get me wrong, I will always support the Broncos and watch every single game of theirs I can but just have no interest in any other games anymore. I used to live and breathe league, even when living overseas but now, well I just don't really care anymore unless the Broncs are playing. But even then, I know there are just going to be an endless supply of mind-blowing decisions that will most likely ruin the game one way or another. Even if Newcastle (my second team) were doing well, I still just wouldn't care anymore. It makes my blood boil how much this great game is being destroyed little by little.

You have captured exactly how I feel. I just don't care about the NRL anymore. I will always watch the Broncos games and will always support them, but I just don't like the NRL anymore and at this point even if they did make the changes the need to I'm not sure I will ever get that passion back. I think it really hit home how little I now care when the Eseese NO TRY happened. Usually that would have me rant about everything from the incompetence of the refs, right through to suggesting they are on the take, but my wife turned to me when that didn't happened and asked "wasn't I upset" and I realised then that I just couldn't give a shit anymore. Nothing ever changes and it never will and as fans there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

After watching almost every game (95% of them I even watched twice) over the last 10 years, I didn't watch any games this weekend except the Broncos game and I can't see that changing any time soon. If I wasn't watching rugby league I was talking about it, but not anymore. Apart from on here, Broncos fans aren't allowed to have a negative opinion on reffing and the NRL due to whatever benefits we apparently receive. Fans are happy to see us get fucked around by shitty decisions because their clubs are terribly run. **** them, **** the NRL, **** State of Origin, **** the international game.

This sport could have been huge..

To be fair it seems like every club is on the ass-end of poor refereeing decisions recently, it doesn't seem to be biased, they just don't know how to do their job consistently.

The game won't move forward until they fix whatever is hindering the decision making, you never hear about refereeing blunders in AFL or Union, or any other sports for that matter, apart from maybe Cricket with the occasional DRS **** up.

To be fair it seems like every club is on the ass-end of poor refereeing decisions recently, it doesn't seem to be biased, they just don't know how to do their job consistently.

The game won't move forward until they fix whatever is hindering the decision making, you never hear about refereeing blunders in AFL or Union, or any other sports for that matter, apart from maybe Cricket with the occasional DRS **** up.

There are referring blunders in every single sport that relies on match officials. It's been happening since the day sports were invented. You just have to accept that human error will never be wiped from the game and it will go on forever.

I still remember those calls that cost Australia in the 2013 ashes. I watch Super Rugby and have been a Reds season holder for almost my entire life and I have seen some shockers in my time there. The Brumbies were denied a potential match winning try in a finals match just 2 weeks ago when it looked like a fair try and their coach blew up big time. I also remember a All Blacks V Sprigboks test 3 years ago when they sent a South African off for tacking around the legs.

It happens in all sports

I think Reynolds will have to break someones leg before they come down hard on him for tripping

I think Reynolds will have to break someones leg before they come down hard on him for tripping
Raelene and Greenturd will probably still find a way to get his charge downgraded...

You have captured exactly how I feel. I just don't care about the NRL anymore. I will always watch the Broncos games and will always support them, but I just don't like the NRL anymore and at this point even if they did make the changes the need to I'm not sure I will ever get that passion back. I think it really hit home how little I now care when the Eseese NO TRY happened. Usually that would have me rant about everything from the incompetence of the refs, right through to suggesting they are on the take, but my wife turned to me when that didn't happened and asked "wasn't I upset" and I realised then that I just couldn't give a shit anymore. Nothing ever changes and it never will and as fans there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

After watching almost every game (95% of them I even watched twice) over the last 10 years, I didn't watch any games this weekend except the Broncos game and I can't see that changing any time soon. If I wasn't watching rugby league I was talking about it, but not anymore. Apart from on here, Broncos fans aren't allowed to have a negative opinion on reffing and the NRL due to whatever benefits we apparently receive. Fans are happy to see us get ****ed around by shitty decisions because their clubs are terribly run. **** them, **** the NRL, **** State of Origin, **** the international game.

This sport could have been huge..

Wow you gentleman missed out on a cracking 90 minutes of Rugby League tonight.

Wow you gentleman missed out on a cracking 90 minutes of Rugby League tonight.

It was still full of shit officiating and inconsistent decisions from the refs and bunker.

Last edited:
With the Dank shooting, apparently he was going to come out and reveal information about a prominent NRL player that used performance enhancing drugs in 2011.

Apparently that player had a big game coming up, so he went over there and got injected the night before and then came out and played so well and beyond expectations.

Police are investigating it.

I can think of a few names if by big game he meant against a top team or finals.

Last edited:
EDIT: No speculation please.

Last edited by a moderator:
The players touching the refs have got out of hand I understand if they get a suspension for actually punching or pushing on purpose but all these haven't been on purpose and I think they need to change it or the refs just need to toughen up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.