NRL Player Movement and Rumours 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
...'bout 8 or 9 years too late if you ask me.

**** no.

Last edited:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/a...s/news-story/00700ba6584cfd0ecf20dfe09bbe0fe9

FORMER Manly and NSW enforcer Anthony Watmough has blasted ex-teammate Daly Cherry-Evans, labelling him selfish and a “f***wit”.
There have long been rumours the Sea Eagles halfback is far from the most popular player in the league, and those reports were loudest when senior players like Watmough and the Stewart brothers — Brett and Glenn — were still running around at Manly.
It was reported senior players in the Manly set-up didn’t get along with the playmaker and Watmough revealed in no uncertain terms how much he rubbed teammates the wrong way.
Watmough made the claims on the Hello Sports Podcast, during which he said Cherry-Evans “turned into a f***wit” after making his NRL debut in 2011.
The back-rower said one half of the Manly board “loved the younger guys”, which gave Cherry-Evans more power than he deserved, and revealed the No. 7 threatened not to turn up to training unless he was given more money, which is where he lost the playing group.
“They (the board) really took a liking to Cherry-Evans. So after 2011, Dessie (former coach Des Hasler) left and so I sort of heard whispers, well it wasn’t whispers, it was on the back page of the f***ing paper (DCE demanding more money),” Watmough said.
“We had a team meeting, I told Chezza to stay back and I said, ‘Mate what’s this we hear about what I’m reading in the papers?’
“I said, ‘Mate you just signed a f***ing four-year deal, you turn up to training.’ He goes, ‘Nup. My manager told me not to (turn up to training unless Manly pays him more).’
“Told him not to turn up to training, not to give a f*** about the boys. I’ve looked after him, gave him whatever he wanted as a kid, always made sure he didn’t want for anything.
“And so I said to him, ‘Mate, you know what we (the senior players) have sacrificed to stay together, to be successful. Your time will come.’
“He just looked me straight in the eye and went, ‘Nah, not turning up.’ So I just went, ‘F*** you.’”

Watmough said he told coach Geoff Toovey to play hard ball and punish Cherry-Evans if he failed to turn up to training. But in the end the Manly mentor succumbed to board pressure, and that’s where he lost Watmough’s trust.
“I’ve walked out and went to Tooves and said, ‘Don’t give him any money. You’ve got him by the balls. If he doesn’t turn up (to training), fine him’. And Tooves just succumbed to the board,” Watmough said.
“Next thing we know he (Cherry-Evans) is up around the $500,000 mark after being on $50,000 (a year). So that’s where Tooves stopped worrying about the players and started worrying about his own back.
“The board wanted Cherry-Evans … Tooves chose one side of the board over the players and that’s where he lost me.”
Manly has courted controversy this season when it was reported players had approached coach Trent Barrett and said they were no longer willing to play alongside Jackson Hastings. Hastings was dumped to reserve grade and hasn’t been sighted in the senior side since.
Watmough said although he doesn’t know Hastings personally, he’s in no doubt Cherry-Evans — among others — likely bullied him “into a corner” to the point where his place at the club became untenable.
Watmough likened the situation to other dramas that have unfolded on Sydney’s northern beaches — alluding to the departure of himself and the Stewart brothers — and said the one common factor in everything is Cherry-Evans.

“It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see he has probably p***ed one too manly people off in the game,” Watmough said. “I think people are starting to see it for what it is.
“They thought we (senior players) were the issue and then we left. Then the next year Tooves (Geoff Toovey) was the issue, then they got rid of him. And then all of a sudden poor Jackson Hastings.
“I don’t really know the guy. I know people have different opinions of everyone but they, because Cherry-Evans didn’t like him, they f***ing bullied him into a corner which was pretty poor on the club’s behalf I think.
“Cherry-Evans was in the thick of it then. There’s only so much one person can be involved before people start to realise maybe we’re barking up the wrong tree here.”
Watmough said he has great respect for Manly coach Trent Barrett but believes singling out Hastings and marking his cards was the “only s*** thing he’s done at the club”.
Watmough also said he’s relieved to finally get issues off his chest that have been weighing him down since he left Manly at the end of 2014.
“People are going to hate me for coming out and saying this but people have to know at the end of the day what the real situation was,” Watmough said. “I didn’t even want to speak about it but there comes a time when I feel that I had to.
“I didn’t even want to do any of these podcasts again until a mate asked me for your guys and I thought, ‘F*** it, I’m not going to hold onto it anymore.’
“I seriously hold onto that everyday and that’s the only thing that has stopped me from letting go of everything — because I haven’t told my side, the real side that people didn’t get to hear. They’ve been told many different things and read things that (aren’t true).
“I feel a weight being lifted off my chest I’m being honest. I’ve just been holding onto that.”

I love how everyone hates DCE, but come on Watmaugh, if you chose to stay for less money, that's on you, own your own decision mate.

It's refreshing to see a player (albeit retired) open up and be honest about his disdain for another player, let alone a former team mate.

I wish current players would be up front about it, and actually create those rivalries which intensifies matches and not just politely compliment each other week in, week out.
Just look at the NBA, there's that many storylines off the court which entertain almost as much as the games themselves.

They're sportsmen, not politicians.

I love how everyone hates DCE, but come on Watmaugh, if you chose to stay for less money, that's on you, own your own decision mate.

Watmough comes across pretty bad here - that he was getting in another player's business re taking less money just because a group of players liked playing together and took pay cuts to stay together.

If I was DCE I would have taken a huge deal elsewhere and removed myself from such a toxic environment.

Last edited:
I wish we had more blokes like the Stewart bros and Watmough at the Broncos. They personified the club first mentality that made Manly a success.

TPJ saying **** you to NSW and seemingly to big offers is a step in the right direction.

The players/coaches telling others to take pay cuts are always the ones on decent pay cheques.

Watmough comes across pretty bad here - that he was getting in another player's business re taking less money just because a group of players liked playing together and took pay cuts to stay together.

If I was DCE I would have taken a huge deal elsewhere and removed myself from such a toxic environment.

I really don't like DCE, but I similarly dislike how those players claim to have taken pay cuts to stay together at Manly.

They DID NOT take pay cuts. They had back-ended deals, aka the Hasler Special. They were getting paid less for the first year or two, but it was made up for in the 3rd and 4th years. Watmough's 4th year of that last Manly contract was worth over $900k IIRC.

I suggest a lot of you need to read the article again

Watmough wasn't having a go at DCE for wanting more money

He had a go at him for not turning up to training

"The back-rower said one half of the Manly board “loved the younger guys”, which gave Cherry-Evans more power than he deserved, and revealed the No. 7 threatened not to turn up to training unless he was given more money, which is where he lost the playing group.
“They (the board) really took a liking to Cherry-Evans. So after 2011, Dessie (former coach Des Hasler) left and so I sort of heard whispers, well it wasn’t whispers, it was on the back page of the f***ing paper (DCE demanding more money),” Watmough said.
“We had a team meeting, I told Chezza to stay back and I said, ‘Mate what’s this we hear about what I’m reading in the papers?’
“I said, ‘Mate you just signed a f***ing four-year deal, you turn up to training.’ "

Nobody would have a problem with a player wanting more money, but you do it the right way

Demanding more money mid-contract or you won't show up to training is the behaviour of a "me first, team last" person, which should rightly be called out

Does this seem like an attempt to push DCE out to anyone else?

I suggest a lot of you need to read the article again

Watmough wasn't having a go at DCE for wanting more money

He had a go at him for not turning up to training

"The back-rower said one half of the Manly board “loved the younger guys”, which gave Cherry-Evans more power than he deserved, and revealed the No. 7 threatened not to turn up to training unless he was given more money, which is where he lost the playing group.
“I said, ‘Mate you just signed a f***ing four-year deal, you turn up to training.’ "

Nobody would have a problem with a player wanting more money, but you do it the right way

Demanding more money mid-contract or you won't show up to training is the behaviour of a "me first, team last" person, which should rightly be called out

Speaking only for myself, but I was commenting on the “what we’ve sacrificed to stay together” bullshit.

$1 Million a fucking year for a very, very broken Foran? Hasler is a fucking idiot.

They probably spend $2 million a year on sticky tape and glue to try to hold him together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Hurrijo
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KickHaas
  • Thelmus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bish
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • broncs30
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.