NRL Season Recommencing

Coaching rep sides and coaching club sides is very different. Someone like Bellamy has nailed coached at club level and struggled coaching at rep level. Mal will still go down as the greatest rep coach so far IMO. Obviously he got lucky with the talent he had, but no coach has ever won anything without talent in their side either.

Coaching rep sides and coaching club sides is very different. Someone like Bellamy has nailed coached at club level and struggled coaching at rep level. Mal will still go down as the greatest rep coach so far IMO. Obviously he got lucky with the talent he had, but no coach has ever won anything without talent in their side either.
To play devils advocate, was it because of that side ballemy had to coach against the reason why he wasn’t successful?

So Mal is still pushing to alter the points structure for this years comp ... he has reportedly taken two new proposals to Project Apollo

1. all comp points scraped and teams don't play for comp points at all in 2020; instead solely using for and against against to determine ladder positions

2. reduce the points earned so far by a ration to the length of the season. e,g, if the season runs for 20 games, it will be 80% of a regular season, so those on 4 points would have their points reduced to 3.2 etc

Maths obviously ain’t Mals strong point then. 3.2 points is effectively 4 points anyway.

So Mal is still pushing to alter the points structure for this years comp ... he has reportedly taken two new proposals to Project Apollo

1. all comp points scraped and teams don't play for comp points at all in 2020; instead solely using for and against against to determine ladder positions

2. reduce the points earned so far by a ration to the length of the season. e,g, if the season runs for 20 games, it will be 80% of a regular season, so those on 4 points would have their points reduced to 3.2 etc
Either way, Titans still finish with the spoon.

LOL. 1 in particular has to be the dumbest suggestion I've heard.

What he really wants to say is:

3. Titans win the comp without playing a game because if we actually reverse everything, they are clearly the worst team in the comp, therefore they should finish first.

Obviously it's understandable that the clubs who have lost one or especially both of their opening games would prefer to see the ladder get reset. The argument that they are significantly behind the eight ball and disadvantaged now is to a large extent true and for some of them it will be basically the end of their hopes for 2020.

That said, it's not as though they were disadvantaged by something they had nothing to do with. Those same clubs had as much chance to win those opening games as the teams who did, and it's not as though if the circumstances had been known beforehand that they could have done anything differently in those opening games. The same players would have given the same level of effort and likely still delivered the same results.

It's unfortunate, and as I said, it will likely sink one or two clubs 2020 chances before the year has even really started, but everyone is attempting to make the best of a shitty situation and for all clubs there will be pluses and minuses to the comp being restructured the way it is, but it's now up to everyone to make the most of it and just be grateful that there are games to play and money coming in to keep them all in a job to the best extent possible because at various stages a month or two back there was a chance that none of this would have been possible.

Last edited:

"Observe social distancing"

Obviously it's understandable that the clubs who have lost one or especially both of their opening games would prefer to see the ladder get reset. The argument that they are significantly behind the eight ball and disadvantaged now is to a large extent true and for some of them it will be basically the end of their hopes for 2020.

That said, it's not as though they were disadvantaged by something they had nothing to do with. Those same clubs had as much chance to win those opening games as the teams who did, and it's not as though if the circumstances had been known beforehand that they could have done anything differently in those opening games. The same players would have given the same level of effort and likely still delivered the same results.

It's unfortunate, and as I said, it will likely sink one or two clubs 2020 chances before the year has even really started, but everyone is attempting to make the best of a shitty situation and for all clubs there will be pluses and minuses to the comp being restructured the way it is, but it's now up to everyone to make the most of it and just be grateful that there are games to play and money coming in to keep them all in a job to the best extent possible because at various stages a month or two back there was a chance that none of this would have been possible.

These idiots make it sound like this was unforeseen but before a ball was kicked it was well-known that there was a very strong chance of the season being suspended. COVID-19 was already in full swing and we were already talking about playing with no crowds during the first round.

Due to the shortened competition, people are saying that the 4 points earned by some clubs is are actually worth more, and that's unfair. I understand that point of view, and maybe even agree with it.
But Sydney teams living at home, while interstate teams have to live in a bubble isolated from family for potentially 4 months isn't fair, and offers a distinct advantage to Sydney teams. That's also unfair. Nobody is complaining about that.
The 'push' for a 'fair' comp is laughable anyway. We haven't had a fair comp in decades.Teams play some teams once and some teams twice. Some teams are decimated by Origin and others hardly affected.
It's an absolute joke when people say we have to make 'this' or 'that' decision for the sake fairness or integrity of the comp, while ignoring all the other unfairness (this comment not only related to the current COVID issue, it was happening before too)

These idiots make it sound like this was unforeseen but before a ball was kicked it was well-known that there was a very strong chance of the season being suspended. COVID-19 was already in full swing and we were already talking about playing with no crowds during the first round.
My point exactly. Even if it wasn't just speculation, even if we'd known all the circumstances for this for certain before Round 1 kicked off, what possible difference would it have made to those first two games? It's not as though the players were phoning it in because they knew that had a full season to make up for any dropped points early on. It's just nonsense.

I understand that point of view, and maybe even agree with it.

Why? I can't see any possible reason to agree with it unless your club is sitting on 0-2. I just cannot see any other reason to agree. Am I missing something?

Why? I can't see any possible reason to agree with it unless your club is sitting on 0-2. I just cannot see any other reason to agree. Am I missing something?

Probably not mate, "maybe I agree with it" is just my way of not arguing against it, when it wasn't my actual point.
The point I was trying to make was simply that the comp isn't fair anyway :)

My point exactly. Even if it wasn't just speculation, even if we'd known all the circumstances for this for certain before Round 1 kicked off, what possible difference would it have made to those first two games? It's not as though the players were phoning it in because they knew that had a full season to make up for any dropped points early on. It's just nonsense.

Exactly. Politis tried to make the point that they were preparing for a for season and they didn't play Cordner because they wanted to easy him through the season but that is a load of crap because by the time the season started it was well known that it wasn't a matter or if but when the comp would be suspended.

We're officially back in business.

20 round competition, round 3 starting on May 28th. Grand Final on October 25th. State of Origin TBA.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • MasterWright
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ozired
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Spooky1013
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  • eggstar10
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.