Off-Season

Selwyn Cobbo:

“That achievement, becoming school captain, did a lot for me as a person. I actually went for the sports captain, but everyone said I should put my hand up to be school captain. They said I had the ability and the leadership to do it, so I applied and I got it. It was a huge shock for me. I didn’t think I was good enough for that position, but I feel that role helped prepare me for life after school."

“I think sometimes Indigenous kids lack confidence or might feel some shame to go for things, but I’m trying to make a change for Aboriginal people. When I left the school, the next school captain was Aboriginal and this year just gone, another Aboriginal kid was school captain. That means a lot to me. I feel proud that I have been able to make a small change and now that I’m playing NRL, I want to be a good role model for Indigenous kids.”

“I’m very proud of my culture and where I come from. It’s a big part of me and who I am. I am very proud to represent my people. I can’t really believe I’m in this Indigenous All Stars camp. I never thought I would be here so soon. I look around at training and I see blokes like Josh Addo-Carr and Andrew Fifita who have won premierships and done it all in the game. It’s the biggest game of my career so far. I’m pretty stoked, but also very grateful.”

“I loved Greg Inglis growing up. I loved the way he played, he was just so fast and strong. He had incredible power and I always remember his left fend. He was just unstoppable. I would watch ‘GI’ and hope I could do what he did one day. I had that mindset where if I just believed in myself, maybe I can do it one day. I’ve actually never met Greg. I would love to meet him one day, it would be a dream come true to shake hands with Greg Inglis.”

“I would love to follow in the path of Latrell and do the things that he does for communities and Indigenous people,” he said. “He does a lot for our people, he is passionate for his people, and I would love to be like that at the Broncos. I played against him in my third NRL game. After the game, Latrell came up to me and it was pretty cool. He had a word to me. He said, ‘Congrats on your debut, keep working hard and do yourself and your family proud’. I actually feel honoured to be compared to a guy like Latrell. In saying that, I’m nowhere near as good as him. I’m determined to not let all that talk go to my head. I just let those words flow through my ears, I don’t take much of that in.”

"My family has kept me grounded. It’s all happened pretty quickly for me at the Broncos, but I have a long way to go. It just comes down to whether you really want to succeed or not and whether you are prepared to make the sacrifices. I’m prepared to make the sacrifices.”

"My father's advice was: “There are a lot of cocky, big-noting fellas out there. Don’t be like those fellas. Just be yourself."

Adam Reynolds:

“Selwyn is an athlete. He makes hard things look easy and at times it doesn’t look like he is trying, which shows how good he is. Selwyn just makes the game flow and there’s only a handful of players who can do that. I’ve met him at training and in the chats we’ve had he is humble, keen and willing to learn which is great.”

McHunt
Wow. He sounds like a really mature, well grounded individual.. especially for his age!

Stay away from him Mundine

Selwyn Cobbo:

"My father's advice was: “There are a lot of cocky, big-noting fellas out there. Don’t be like those fellas. Just be yourself."
Great advice Dad. You can see Selwyn has really, truly followed it too.

The expression goes that everyone loves a winner, but I personally find it hard to support wankers even if they’re winning (e.g. Kyrgios). On the other hand, I truly admire a humble sportsperson - win, lose or draw.

Payne Haas:

“I’ve got good people around so obviously that the court case is not going to be a distraction. I can’t allow that as well. I want to be at my best for my team. I’ve got good people around me and it’ll be all good. I don’t want to say too much now because I’m still going through it all in court but … hopefully we’ll sort it out soon. I’ve got good people around me, a good circle, so they’ve made it pretty easy for me. I’ve just been worrying about my training and going about my footy.”

“I’ve still got a contract until 2024 so I’ve still got a while here. I am committed until 2024 and we’ll see what happens from there. I’ve still got a while here so I’m not worried about that kind of stuff. I’m just here to play good footy. This season I hope to keep progressing, even on last year. I want to keep on trying to find ways to improve.”

McHunt

Payne Haas:

“I’ve got good people around so obviously that the court case is not going to be a distraction. I can’t allow that as well. I want to be at my best for my team. I’ve got good people around me and it’ll be all good. I don’t want to say too much now because I’m still going through it all in court but … hopefully we’ll sort it out soon. I’ve got good people around me, a good circle, so they’ve made it pretty easy for me. I’ve just been worrying about my training and going about my footy.”

“I’ve still got a contract until 2024 so I’ve still got a while here. I am committed until 2024 and we’ll see what happens from there. I’ve still got a while here so I’m not worried about that kind of stuff. I’m just here to play good footy. This season I hope to keep progressing, even on last year. I want to keep on trying to find ways to improve.”

McHunt
Hmm, “I am committed until 2024 and we’ll see what happens from there”
It really isn’t sounding all that great.

Hmm, “I am committed until 2024 and we’ll see what happens from there”
It really isn’t sounding all that great.
I honestly dont care all that much anymore... The NRL is an absolute clusterfuck of a competition.

If Payne wants to **** off to Bondi then he'll go and we'll have $1m a season to spend again.

The entire league fanbase will blow up if Uncle Nick and the rorters are able to sign the best prop in the game, especially now that it's known he'll be near enough to $1m a season by the end of his contract... so they can waste their time yelling into the abyss that is NRL headquarters.

Rorters are gonna continue to cheat until Uncle Nick is pushing up daisies... everyone knows it but who can be fucked arguing the point anymore.

I only want to see the players that actually want to be here from now on and the team putting in and being competitive

I honestly dont care all that much anymore... The NRL is an absolute clusterfuck of a competition.

If Payne wants to **** off to Bondi then he'll go and we'll have $1m a season to spend again.

The entire league fanbase will blow up if Uncle Nick and the rorters are able to sign the best prop in the game, especially now that it's known he'll be near enough to $1m a season by the end of his contract... so they can waste their time yelling into the abyss that is NRL headquarters.

Rorters are gonna continue to cheat until Uncle Nick is pushing up daisies... everyone knows it but who can be fucked arguing the point anymore.

I only want to see the players that actually want to be here from now on and the team putting in and being competitive
It almost feels like it’s always broncos players that leave; D.Fifita, Hunt (when he was in his prime), Coates etc.
I get it, it’s a business and it’s part of footy but it annoys me our players seem to be targeted more then any other club in the league.
Look at Ponga, all the noise is the dolphins will chuck the cheque book at him, but his dad (manager) comes out and says KP is more then happy at the knights and that Joey coming to the club makes it even more attractive for him.
It is very rare a broncos player comes out and says he love the club and won’t be leaving.
Im not sure if anyone else caught Vossy on the weekend (when commentating the all stars game) talking Mariner up massively after the Broncos trial, he also threw Ezra’s name in there as massive young guns coming through. Not to mention he kept going on about Cobbo.
It really does seem that no other club has decent juniors coming through, but when the likes of Tyrell Sloan is off-contract there pretty much isn’t an article written about him, so the Dragons are able to sign him to no fan fare.
Its already started with Cobbo. The bloke isn’t even able to talk to clubs until November yet there’s been 100 articles written about him and how he may leave the club at the end of his contract.

It almost feels like it’s always broncos players that leave; D.Fifita, Hunt (when he was in his prime), Coates etc.
I get it, it’s a business and it’s part of footy but it annoys me our players seem to be targeted more then any other club in the league.
Look at Ponga, all the noise is the dolphins will chuck the cheque book at him, but his dad (manager) comes out and says KP is more then happy at the knights and that Joey coming to the club makes it even more attractive for him.
It is very rare a broncos player comes out and says he love the club and won’t be leaving.
Im not sure if anyone else caught Vossy on the weekend (when commentating the all stars game) talking Mariner up massively after the Broncos trial, he also threw Ezra’s name in there as massive young guns coming through. Not to mention he kept going on about Cobbo.
It really does seem that no other club has decent juniors coming through, but when the likes of Tyrell Sloan is off-contract there pretty much isn’t an article written about him, so the Dragons are able to sign him to no fan fare.
Its already started with Cobbo. The bloke isn’t even able to talk to clubs until November yet there’s been 100 articles written about him and how he may leave the club at the end of his contract.
It depends... I'm not in the Sydney bubble so I'm not sure if there is or isn't media reporting about other club's juniors all the time.

There's more teams down there so there's every chance juniors get lost in the net by Buzz and his cronies compared to up here where Petey B has to fill inches every day and it's easy to write "Broncos star junior [insert name here] has been likened to [insert name based on position (Alfie, Darren, Webke, Petero, GI, Latrell, etc.)] and the Dolphins have already been in contact"... then call an ex-Bronco player for a soundbite.

There's every chance players are getting talked up in the tele and I dont see it, because I dont care what's happening down there.

I dont blame Vossy too much, because he does do a lot of coverage on the school boys games so it's not like it's a phrase put in front of him by a producer... he's actually seen them play, and more than anything he's likely just excited to see if they can replicate what he's seen in the NRL.

It does get annoying and frustrating which is why I'm trying to push it to the back of my mind, because there's no point getting worked up over fan fiction from NRL journos.

Fans can't control anything except what we read and what we watch... if Payne wants to piss off down to Sydney to spend his weekend playing golf with Uncle Nick then cool **** off.

Players will come and go, and the ones that stay will forever be loved by the fans... for the ones that leave, who cares and who gives a shit about them, they're dead to me.

Every year only one team wins the comp... most of the time that wont be us... not much we can do about it except hope we get our shit together and at least be competitive each lap around the sun.

It depends... I'm not in the Sydney bubble so I'm not sure if there is or isn't media reporting about other club's juniors all the time.

There's more teams down there so there's every chance juniors get lost in the net by Buzz and his cronies compared to up here where Petey B has to fill inches every day and it's easy to write "Broncos star junior [insert name here] has been likened to [insert name based on position (Alfie, Darren, Webke, Petero, GI, Latrell, etc.)] and the Dolphins have already been in contact"... then call an ex-Bronco player for a soundbite.

There's every chance players are getting talked up in the tele and I dont see it, because I dont care what's happening down there.

I dont blame Vossy too much, because he does do a lot of coverage on the school boys games so it's not like it's a phrase put in front of him by a producer... he's actually seen them play, and more than anything he's likely just excited to see if they can replicate what he's seen in the NRL.

It does get annoying and frustrating which is why I'm trying to push it to the back of my mind, because there's no point getting worked up over fan fiction from NRL journos.

Fans can't control anything except what we read and what we watch... if Payne wants to piss off down to Sydney to spend his weekend playing golf with Uncle Nick then cool **** off.

Players will come and go, and the ones that stay will forever be loved by the fans... for the ones that leave, who cares and who gives a shit about them, they're dead to me.

Every year only one team wins the comp... most of the time that wont be us... not much we can do about it except hope we get our shit together and at least be competitive each lap around the sun.
I think a lot of NSW league "journo's" (term used loosely) have very little focus on junior footy, developing players, NSW cup or the game in general.

They focus on the off field dramas, or invent their own stories of "im hearing player x is unhappy etc". Never have i seen rothfield or weidler write up a story about the junior kangaroos etc.

This is but one reason NSW young players cruise under the radar.

I think a lot of NSW league "journo's" (term used loosely) have very little focus on junior footy, developing players, NSW cup or the game in general.

They focus on the off field dramas, or invent their own stories of "im hearing player x is unhappy etc". Never have i seen rothfield or weidler write up a story about the junior kangaroos etc.

Why don't the QLD journalists write about them?

It would be about what gets them clicks down there... up here writing literally any article about a bronco will get clicks... flagging that a flog team down south wants one of our juniors gets clicks because it generates outrage.

Down south writing that parra are interested in a tigers junior probably only gets clicks from those two teams, but fans of other teams wouldn't really care. They probably write about it when they hear it, but it gets bundled up with the 14 other rumours they have in Buzz's catch all article or Fox's transfer whispers.

Writing that Ponga could be on the move generates more interest, because Ponga is already established and fans know who he is. "Hmm Ponga's on the move you say... where's he heading then?" [clickety click]

It would be about what gets them clicks down there... up here writing literally any article about a bronco will get clicks... flagging that a flog team down south wants one of our juniors gets clicks because it generates outrage.

Down south writing that parra are interested in a tigers junior probably only gets clicks from those two teams, but fans of other teams wouldn't really care. They probably write about it when they hear it, but it gets bundled up with the 14 other rumours they have in Buzz's catch all article or Fox's transfer whispers.

Writing that Ponga could be on the move generates more interest, because Ponga is already established and fans know who he is. "Hmm Ponga's on the move you say... where's he heading then?" [clickety click]
Why are you speaking so much sense?? As a guy called "Broncos fan" you don't in any way have the vocab to match it... You should ONLY speak in:

1. Anti media bias talk
2. Constant conspiracy theories about how the Broncos have a raw deal from "sYdNeY"

I live in NSW and most my mates down here are obviously NSWmen, any of them that take more than a passing interest in league seem to know about all or most of our promising young players but outside of their own clubs they don’t really know of many other young players. It’s just the media attention I guess, and our great production line.

I live in NSW and most my mates down here are obviously NSWmen, any of them that take more than a passing interest in league seem to know about all or most of our promising young players but outside of their own clubs they don’t really know of many other young players. It’s just the media attention I guess, and our great production line.
I knew there was something off about you.

It is very rare a broncos player comes out and says he love the club and won’t be leaving

Broncos players say that quite regularly ... then they see the extra 0's at the end of the pay cheque

Fifita said that a fair bit ... it took the Titans bidding against themselves to find his squeal number

Why are you speaking so much sense?? As a guy called "Broncos fan" you don't in any way have the vocab to match it... You should ONLY speak in:

1. Anti media bias talk
2. Constant conspiracy theories about how the Broncos have a raw deal from "sYdNeY"
Are you sure you are not John Ribot ?

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Locky’s Left Boot
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • Redfern_1980
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Old Mate
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • john1420
  • FACTHUNT
  • mrslong
  • Big Del
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.