[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
By the sounds of things Milford will only head to the Reds if he is forced to sit out of the NRL in 2014

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm so over this bullshit. Piss or get off the pot FFS

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Sounds more and more like his Dad isn't that sick. If he was that sick there wouldn't need to be any time to think about staying or going.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
THE Queensland Reds have emerged as a genuine alternative for Anthony Milford as the homesick Canberra fullback mulls over his playing future.

Milford's manager, Sam Ayoub, yesterday confirmed he had spoken to the Reds about a potential code switch if the Raiders forced him to sit out a season.

Milford is at war with the Raiders after informing the club he wanted to return to Brisbane next season to take up a contract with the Broncos and be closer to his family, in particular his ill father, Halo. However, Canberra is ready to dig in its heels over the 19-year-old, creating the prospect that he might be forced to sit out an NRL season. That could open the door for the Reds to pounce.

Reds coach Richard Graham last night told The Australian he was monitoring the situation, although he made it clear he was yet to make contact with Milford.

Graham also said he had been told Milford had been part of the Reds program as a teenager.

"I think he's an outstanding footballer and he would be fantastic for our organisation," Graham said. "He's got a background in rugby (union). But at this point in time he is contracted to Canberra and we haven't explored it."

While the Reds are keeping an eye on the situation, new Raiders coach Ricky Stuart hasn't given up hope of keeping the Mal Meninga medallist.

Ayoub was in Canberra yesterday on other business but briefly met Stuart. He was coy about the details of the approach from the Reds but confirmed they had been in talks more than a month ago.

It is believed Milford is not using the offer as leverage but as a genuine alternative if the Raiders play hardball and force him to sit out a season in the NRL.

"Ricky raised it with me today and he is going to give it a crack to keep him and I respect him for that," Ayoub said.

"If the kid decides to stay there and remain for the next year of his contract I can understand that.

"But if he doesn't, I can also understand that. It's going to come down to him and his family.

"He went back to Brisbane this weekend and he's going to spend a couple of weeks up there.

"I'm going to head up next week to catch up with him and make a decision about it all."

- See more at: Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Milford's manager, Sam Ayoub, yesterday confirmed he had spoken to the Reds about a potential code switch if the Raiders forced him to sit out a season.

Rugby is only a fall back option...............he'll be our 6 next year.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
There is so much garbage going around I just don't know what to believe. In the same day we have an article basically saying he is torn between his dad and his passion for the raiders (I'm sorry but if my dad was actually sick there would be no decision, I don't care how much I like my office)

Then we get an article basically saying he is deadest on moving to brisbane and joining the broncos and is teeing up a reds contract for a year to make sure he has something to do of they make
Him sit out a year.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It's clearly about money, don't want him. Save the cash and chase DCE for 2015.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
If we're waiting till 2015 for DCE then I've got no problem getting Milford for a few seasons, especially with Barba's injury.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It's clearly about money, don't want him. Save the cash and chase DCE for 2015.

We need him, it doesn't matter what it's about we need him. We can't just sit around and hope that DCE comes, cos there is a massive massive chance he wont

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
We need him, it doesn't matter what it's about we need him. We can't just sit around and hope that DCE comes, cos there is a massive massive chance he wont

I agree, and if dce is to come in 2015 we would have the money for him to I would think cause Hannant and Hodges would give us the room

qlderxxxx

qlderxxxx

BRL Player
Jul 9, 2013
To be honest, I don't know what Milford's decision is, but I have no doubt the latest release is only being used as contract leverage.

I believe he made his decision weeks ago, and Ayoub is either trying to get more money out of us, because you know, Ricky Stuart is such a good coach.

Or, the whole time he was just trying to squeeze much more out of the Raiders. We have barely heard from Milford himself in this whole circus.

Ayoub is keeping both doors open by claiming Milford "isn't unhappy at the Raiders, this is about family".

In the end, if you think Ricky Stuart is a good enough coach to make you back flip on a potential move, well, I don't want that kind of moron making key decisions in our halves in the future.

Honestly think they're just trying to get more cash from us.

Last edited:
B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
To be honest, I don't know what Milford's decision is, but I have no doubt the latest release is only being used as contract leverage.

I believe he made his decision weeks ago, and Ayoub is either trying to get more money out of us, because you know, Ricky Stuart is such a good coach.

Or, the whole time he was just trying to squeeze much more out of the Raiders. We have barely heard from Milford himself in this whole circus.

Ayoub is keeping both doors open by claiming Milford "isn't unhappy at the Raiders, this is about family".

In the end, if you think Ricky Stuart is a good enough coach to make you back flip on a potential move, well, I don't want that kind of moron making key decisions in our halves in the future.

Honestly think they're just trying to get more cash from us.

I agree 100% with everything you said, I believe he still wants out of the Raiders and Ayoub is now in the process increasing his paycheck. I seriously doubt he wants to play for the Reds but it's a brilliant tactic from Ayoub as it forces the NRL's hand, obviously they wouldn't want to lose him to another code so they'll do what they can to assist with his release.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011
How can he still be under contract with the Raiders and made to sit out a year but be able to sign with the Reds for the year and play there?

Is that correct or am I reading it wrong? With so much going around/different stories about this I'm struggling to keep up!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
How can he still be under contract with the Raiders and made to sit out a year but be able to sign with the Reds for the year and play there?

Is that correct or am I reading it wrong? With so much going around/different stories about this I'm struggling to keep up!

If the raiders play hard ball and refuse to release him but he still wants to return home, the nrl won't register a contract with another club for the period of the contract he 'walked out on' I.e won't be able to play for any nrl club bar raiders until 2014.

He can go play union, soccer, afl or tiddlywinks during that time just not in the nrl.

IMO he has absolutely no intention on playing for the reds, his manager just knows that the is zero percent chance the NRL would risk another PR disaster occur that would see a kid that will most likely be rookie of the year go to union to escape the nrl that won't let him be with his dad, could you imagine the headlines

At the end if the day it all comes down to where the kid wants to be. If he wants to be at the broncos and Canberra refuse to release him ayoub will just ramp up the reds talk and the NRL will step in, it's as simple as that

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
No way Broncos will pay overs. We did really well out of the Barba deal. We played hard ball with his manager by the sounds of it and ended up paying Peter Wallace money for Ben Barba. I'm sure we can do something similar with Milford.

Last edited:
M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
At the end if the day it all comes down to where the kid wants to be. If he wants to be at the broncos and Canberra refuse to release him ayoub will just ramp up the reds talk and the NRL will step in, it's as simple as that
If the contract is legally binding the NRL would not be able to step in, they may ask the Raiders politely but with how little help the Raiders get from them I doubt they'd oblige.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I agree 100% with everything you said, I believe he still wants out of the Raiders and Ayoub is now in the process increasing his paycheck. I seriously doubt he wants to play for the Reds but it's a brilliant tactic from Ayoub as it forces the NRL's hand, obviously they wouldn't want to lose him to another code so they'll do what they can to assist with his release.

Also agree 100% , why wouldn't he wanna be in a spine consisting of future origin stars - 1 Barba 7 dce 9 macca , would certainly help his cause for future selection . Okay maybe not macca but playing with those guys would definitely help his game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosMan
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.