[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a shame when we have what should be a sensitive issue, but Raiders fans are making preconceived judgments about the health of Milford's father, saying Broncos fans are scum, etc.

I'll tell you why they're shitty, they live in Canberra.

I think it's a shame when we have what should be a sensitive issue, but Raiders fans are making preconceived judgments about the health of Milford's father, saying Broncos fans are scum, etc.

You can fully understand their outrage though.

I'd be dirty as mud if one of our up'n'coming stars went down there for the same reason.

To call Broncos fans scum though is a bit harsh

Who cares what Raiders fans say, no one here actually takes it personally do they?

It's just life when these things happen, you can't control it and Brisbane have had no influence what so ever, we just happen to be the beneficiary of a really sad situation.

I like what I see with Milford at fullback. A friend of mine made a comparison that I thought was very good, which was that in terms of ability and development, Milford looks a lot like Barba: they were both very talented five-eights as juniors but their best skills are their incredible speed, footwork, finishing and instincts. Neither are really super creative ball-players, which means they might not be as effective in the halves but their running game and their crazy ability to take half chances and turn them into breaks or tries make them great fullbacks.

Obv he needs time at fullback to get accustomed to it since he hasn't played there much before but Milford as a fullback is pretty bloody scary!

I think Milfords creativity is being underestimated. He might not of shown much in the role at Canberra, so far

....but

his limited opportunities and the fact he's only 19 makes me believe that what I have seen is, he has play making traits that can be developed. He's got a good passing and short kicking game and on top of his explosive speed, he has a good football brain to go with it.

You don't see playmakers being born from coming off the bench and being used as "utilities" or strike weapons. They need time to settle into the role. Much the same way Ben Hunt is going to need time to settle into his role at half, Milford needs a decent shot at in Canberra. He won't get it....not with Campese and McCrone there.

The similarities with Barba are easy to see, but I have the same worries about Barba as I do with Milford (at fullback). Defence and size

.....plus catching under the high ball.

TBH ......I'm still a bit non-plussed about Barba's impending arrival at Red Hill. I wouldn't have been chasing him....

Defence and ability under the high ball will come with experience.

As for the positives - dangerous kick returns, width and space to run in, not having to worry about directing the side and just sniffing for opportunities. I think he and Barba are tailor made for modern day fullback. I think his best attributes will get wasted a bit in the halves.

I think Milfords creativity is being underestimated. He might not of shown much in the role at Canberra, so far

....but

his limited opportunities and the fact he's only 19 makes me believe that what I have seen is, he has play making traits that can be developed. He's got a good passing and short kicking game and on top of his explosive speed, he has a good football brain to go with it.

You don't see playmakers being born from coming off the bench and being used as "utilities" or strike weapons. They need time to settle into the role. Much the same way Ben Hunt is going to need time to settle into his role at half, Milford needs a decent shot at in Canberra. He won't get it....not with Campese and McCrone there.

I tend to go the other way. I think Milford's passing and creativity get overstated a bit because he did play as a five-eight so people assume that he must be good in those areas, even if he hasn't actually done anything to prove it. Admittedly I didn't see a lot of him before he broke into the NRL but of the half a dozen games I saw last year, Milford always looked like your classic running five-eight and not-so-much a ball-player.

The Canberra team had some crazy good halves but it always seemed to be that Cornish fellow who showed good vision and playmaking. Almost all of the really stunning plays I saw from Milford were him running the ball and other flashes of individual brilliance. Maybe I just had a bad sample of games but I don't ever remember seeing many plays that made me think 'wow, Anthony looks like he has some real potential as a playmaker'.

Milford does have a decent passing game and short-kicking game but those qualities fit into fullback just as much as they do in the halves now. Trying to make Milford into a halfback seems like a move that relies on the hope that he will develop into a top-class playmaker, when you could just leave him at fullback and capitalise on the fact that he is already a really dangerous ball-runner. Milford ---> five-eight sounds like a move that fans advocate because the Broncos really need a five-eight, rather than because we know he will become a really good five-eight. I just hate seeing players screwed around because a team is desperately trying to turn them into something that they aren't really.

Anyway, I hope he comes to the Broncos and where he plays after that is something to deal with when we get to it.

Defence and ability under the high ball will come with experience.

Yes and even then, not every player is going to be perfect. Like Mr Fourex said, Barba is a bit weak defensively but there is no denying that he is a far better fullback than a five-eight. Whereever he plays there will probably be issues with his game but all things considered, it seems like Milford [MENTION=7814]fullback[/MENTION] > Milford @halfback.

I'd prob put up with a few dropped bombs and missed tackles from Milford if it meant we got a deadly fullback for the next decade.

I just hate seeing players screwed around because a team is desperately trying to turn them into something that they aren't really.

We really are on opposite sides of the fence on this one KW .......because that's exactly what I see the Raiders trying to do with Milford right now. Turn him into something he's not, because at the moment Milford playing fullback, suits their team selection.

He can still offer what he can right now from 5/8 (his running game) and he won't be a liability in defence in the front line as he is looking like out the back. I think the creativity will still come over time. Much in the way John Sutton is developing ....at one point I would have solely described Sutton as only having a running game, but over time and this year in particular his leadership and organisational skill along with some real play making talent has been a pleasure to watch. (and that's coming from someone who used to bag him relentlessly)

If we end up with both Barba AND Milford ....Milford has to be our first choice at 6.

We really are on opposite sides of the fence on this one KW .......because that's exactly what I see the Raiders trying to do with Milford right now. Turn him into something he's not, because at the moment Milford playing fullback, suits their team selection.

Milford to fullback definitely is a move by Canberra that suits their needs but I think in this case, it is a happy coincidence where is works out the best for both parties.

He can still offer what he can right now from 5/8 (his running game) and he won't be a liability in defence in the front line as he is looking like out the back. I think the creativity will still come over time. Much in the way John Sutton is developing ....at one point I would have solely described Sutton as only having a running game, but over time and this year in particular his leadership and organisational skill along with some real play making talent has been a pleasure to watch. (and that's coming from someone who used to bag him relentlessly)

I would say there is no way that he can offer his running game (to the same extent) at five-eight. I'm just as happy to reminisce about the good ol' days as anyone but in this case I think it is really good to remember that the 'running five-eight' is almost gone in the NRL. With just about every team playing with left and right halves, whether a guy has a 6 or 7 on he is playing far more like a halfback - which means that there is far less opportunity to run and the emphasis becomes a lot more on passing and kicking.

Just look at some of the guys who used to be great running five-eights, like Carney and Marshall but are now playing a lot like halfbacks. Neither get anywhere near the same opportunity to run the ball any more and in the case of Marshall it has really destroyed him (obv. there are additional reasons why he is shit now). If you looked around the NRL you'd find very few halfbacks or five-eights whose best attribute and responsibility was their running game. The big role for them is as playmakers and running the ball becomes far more of a Plan B to mix up the plays and keep the defences honest.

If you move a guy into the halves now you are basically asking him to play almost exclusively at first receiver and the chances to run the ball are far more infrequent. In most team's spines you now have two halves and a fullback, with the main requirements of a half being playmaking and kicking followed by a good running game, whereas at fullback the main requirement is a good running game and then a decent passing game to allow them to link up to throw the last pass (like Brett Stewart does for Manly).

Whereever you see Milford ending up, I think it is undeniable that right now he is a ball-runner first and a playmaker second. I think that lines up far more with a fullback than a halfback.

Sorry if you've already read this, but I thought this was worth putting up for those not completely in the know. The Raiders would have to be complete tools to not let him go.

Mother of Anthony Milford appeals for Canberra Raiders to let him go to be by his sick dad | News.com.au

"PLEASE, let my son come home."

With that heartfelt plea, Anthony Milford's mother, Marietta, on Saturday appealed for Canberra to understand her family's plight and do everything possible to reunite the Raiders sensation with his sick father, Halo.

"I hope and pray that Canberra understand my family situation and let Anthony come home," she said.

Milford is weighing up a return to Brisbane, possibly as early as next season, in a move that could deliver the NRL rookie-of-the-year contender to the Broncos.

Just turned 19, Milford is contracted to the Raiders until the end of next season, although the deal contains a get-out clause related to family illness.

Keen to retain the Queensland under-20s skipper, Canberra have sought legal advice and are determined to ensure Milford honours the final year of his deal.

But Marietta has concerns that run deeper than football. The family had planned to move to Canberra at season's end to support Milford, but Marietta says doctors have ordered Halo not to travel as he recovers from a heart attack suffered 18 months ago.

The medical advice has shifted the goalposts dramatically. Marietta says she is forever indebted to the Raiders for supporting Milford, but says the teenager is yearning to return home to care for Halo, who still requires weekly check-ups.

"For us, it's better to have Anthony home," Marietta said.

"We will support him with whichever club he plays with, but we feel as a family he would be better off with us.

"The Raiders are a great club and we are very appreciative that they have given him such a great opportunity, but we want him home.

"Anthony is still so young and we are going through a lot with Halo.

"When I told Anthony what's going on with his father, he wanted to come home straight away. He said, 'I just want to be with Dad.'

"We did want to move down there, but it's simply not possible now because of his dad's situation."

At 49, Halo remains on heavy medication. A forklift driver, he can no longer work, forcing Marietta to quit her job as a process worker to care for her husband on a daily basis.

Aside from the strain on the family finances, it has had a residual effect on Milford's state of mind in Canberra.

The gifted utility has enjoyed his football at the Green Machine, but ultimately hoped his family's move south would quell his homesickness.

Halo had hoped to fly to Canberra on Sunday to watch his son take on the Storm. But doctors have instructed Milford senior against any travel, increasing the likelihood of Anthony returning to Brisbane permanently.

Asked if he would like to see his son return home, Halo said: "Yes, I would. I miss him very much. I am getting better with my heart, but I hope he one day comes home."

On Wednesday, Canberra chief executive Don Furner said the club was reluctant to rescind Milford's deal.

However, the Raiders have been understanding of Milford's family issues and may come under mounting pressure to offer a release if the rookie formally requests one.

"There is a clause in his contract but it is our understanding that we're not obliged to release him and we certainly won't be releasing him," Furner said.

"He's a priority for us. There is no scope for him to leave for the 2014 season, despite what has been said.''

It has been suggested Halo's illness has been exaggerated as a convenient reason for Milford to activate his get-out clause.

But Marietta on Sunday detailed the extent of her husband's health battle and how close they were to moving to Canberra.

"The last time we had a meeting with Don and Dave Furner (Canberra CEO and coach), we introduced ourselves to them and we were planning to move down at the end of this year. That was before we saw Halo's doctor,'' she said.

"We told the doctor we are moving to Canberra and he wasn't happy about it all. He said Halo has check-ups every week and he is not to miss any appointments and he shouldn't even fly to Canberra to watch Anthony play.

"He had heart failure last year and it was very hard for us.

"At the time, Anthony came home and he wanted to stay here with his dad. Halo said he really needs to focus on his career and play good footy, but Anthony will do anything for his father.

"Halo is taking eight tablets a day, morning, afternoon and night. He can't drive at the moment so Anthony wants to be home to help take him doctor's appointments and wherever he needs to go because it's a lot on me to look after him 24-7.

"If Anthony does decide to go to the Broncos, we will fully support him. We can't just have him away from us all the time. As parents, we want him home where the family is.''

Milford to fullback definitely is a move by Canberra that suits their needs but I think in this case, it is a happy coincidence where is works out the best for both parties.

I don't believe in coincidences ......

I would say there is no way that he can offer his running game (to the same extent) at five-eight. I'm just as happy to reminisce about the good ol' days as anyone but in this case I think it is really good to remember that the 'running five-eight' is almost gone in the NRL. With just about every team playing with left and right halves, whether a guy has a 6 or 7 on he is playing far more like a halfback - which means that there is far less opportunity to run and the emphasis becomes a lot more on passing and kicking.

Just look at some of the guys who used to be great running five-eights, like Carney and Marshall but are now playing a lot like halfbacks. Neither get anywhere near the same opportunity to run the ball any more and in the case of Marshall it has really destroyed him (obv. there are additional reasons why he is shit now). If you looked around the NRL you'd find very few halfbacks or five-eights whose best attribute and responsibility was their running game. The big role for them is as playmakers and running the ball becomes far more of a Plan B to mix up the plays and keep the defences honest.

If you move a guy into the halves now you are basically asking him to play almost exclusively at first receiver and the chances to run the ball are far more infrequent. In most team's spines you now have two halves and a fullback, with the main requirements of a half being playmaking and kicking followed by a good running game, whereas at fullback the main requirement is a good running game and then a decent passing game to allow them to link up to throw the last pass (like Brett Stewart does for Manly).

Whereever you see Milford ending up, I think it is undeniable that right now he is a ball-runner first and a playmaker second. I think that lines up far more with a fullback than a halfback.

You make some good points KW, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree if you will. Otherwise we'll go round and round in circles and only succeed in making ourselves dizzy..

FTR Carney and Maloney still primarily play a running game ...even Shaun Johnson is far more dangerous when his running game is used to effect.

I'm open to Milford playing the fullback/roaming role in attack, but I think his overall game will develop better if he were to play to a certain structured play making style, instead of just being a one trick pony who's got some good moves and is lightening fast.

Milford in defence at fullback looks problematic and he looks much more solid defending in the front line.

A few missed tackles and a couple dropped high balls might be ok for some......I think it's a huge risk that we at Brisbane don't necessarily have to take. A couple dropped balls in the front line and we'll most likely recover. A fullback does this with any sort of regularity and it will cost us a season.

Last edited:
Man there is some absolute scumbags on the raiders forum. They have some absolutely ridiculous conspiracy theories being thrown around including the Broncos paying Milford's dads doctor to tell him he can't fly or go to Canberra or the broncos just paying his parents to influence him.

They have a right to be annoyed but seriously they have lost the plot down there.

After reading that dribble I hope we do sign him and he absolutely carves the raiders in the first game.

Milford come to the Broncos buddy.

Man there is some absolute scumbags on the raiders forum. They have some absolutely ridiculous conspiracy theories being thrown around including the Broncos paying Milford's dads doctor to tell him he can't fly or go to Canberra or the broncos just paying his parents to influence him.

They have a right to be annoyed but seriously they have lost the plot down there.

After reading that dribble I hope we do sign him and he absolutely carves the raiders in the first game.

Milford come to the Broncos buddy.

Yeah, it's pretty nuts over there.

They are giving delusional a new name at the moment

Yeah haha, let you have it though

Just hope he makes the move :thumbup1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Santa
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • Broncs1459
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.