[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
If this deal is legit I would imagine we were going to lose Hoffman anyway. I'm guessing he has said he wants out so he can play fullback. If he was wanting to stay and play wing there is no way they would push him out

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
I think Hoffman could be the best winger in our side (and that's including a fit Yow Yeh in my honest opinion), and I think wingers are becoming a bit underrated, especially compared to centres these days. We do have a lot of depth to cover the wing though, it's just none of them will be quite as good as Hoffman, that's all.

Copley's back in the mix as well let's not forget.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
Don't know if anyone else quoted this ... Wayne Bennett encouraging Milford to stay at the Raiders and bring back the glory days under Stuart.

I'm not complaining about the Broncs glory days under Benny, wouldn't have missed them for the world, but I wonder how long it took him to decide that Brisbane was the place to be before baling out on Canberra ... just seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Anthony Milford should commit to the Canberra Raiders: Wayne Bennett

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Very keen on securing Milford, moreso than Barba actually but we already have him.

Not exactly thrilled to possibly lose Hoffman however. Hoffman would be a quality winger, who could develop into a good centre and provide flexibility in the case of injuries. He is reportedly well liked at the club, is a good clubmen and has been here for many years.

Fullbacks earn more than wingers, but a good centre is not that far behind a good fullback on the scale of things. C'mon Hoffy, stay and win a comp.

This better not be a good will jesture on the Broncos behalf. I can only assume giving up Hoffman is a sign that we would have to wait at least another year to get Milford. If not, we should be playing hardball and getting both.

I have no qualms with Baptiste going to the Raiders. Good luck to the kid.

Oink !

ps Thought Stewart Mills interviewed well on BroncoTV. Hope he goes well.

Just a point - if Hoff is a good clubman, he wouldn't be looking to get out of the club due to not getting his favourite position

I really want him to want to stay, but if he doesn't then losing him and gaining Milf is still a step forward

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Don't know if anyone else quoted this ... Wayne Bennett encouraging Milford to stay at the Raiders and bring back the glory days under Stuart.

I'm not complaining about the Broncs glory days under Benny, wouldn't have missed them for the world, but I wonder how long it took him to decide that Brisbane was the place to be before baling out on Canberra ... just seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Anthony Milford should commit to the Canberra Raiders: Wayne Bennett

Why is it that people who used to be at the Broncos don't want the Broncos to be successful anymore? The Broncos have lost more players than the Raiders have over the years. Why would he prefer the Raiders to return to their glory days but not the Broncos? I know Bennett was at the Raiders first but all the ex Broncos are at different clubs helping them. Wally Lewis is a Storm fan boy now and don't even get me started on Wendell's love for the red v.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Why is it that people who used to be at the Broncos don't want the Broncos to be successful anymore? The Broncos have lost more players than the Raiders have over the years. Why would he prefer the Raiders to return to their glory days but not the Broncos? I know Bennett was at the Raiders first but all the ex Broncos are at different clubs helping them. Wally Lewis is a Storm fan boy now and don't even get me started on Wendell's love for the red v.
We have Lockyer and Langer, who else do we need? :)

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

Have you ever watched a Broncos friday night game? He's easily the most biased commentator towards a club I've seen (Broncos)

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Have you ever watched a Broncos friday night game? He's easily the most biased commentator towards a club I've seen (Broncos)

Not even close to Gus or Sterlo on the bias scale.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

Shane Webke, Michael Hancock, Kerrod Walters, Steve Renouf, Tony Currie all club legends and all regularly support the club in the press and elsewhere. Kevin Walters is close to signing as Assistant Coach if not already. That doesn't suggest "anti-Bronco" bias even after he was sacked by them, previously.

Then of course there's Brad Thorn who made a bid to come back and play for us at the Nines next year.

I think that issue isn't anywhere near as one sided as you're making it out.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Nowhere in that article does Bennett say Milford should stay with the Raiders. He says Raiders should do everything to try and keep him. The headline and first line are from the Raiders fanboi journo and or subby.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Nowhere in that article does Bennett say Milford should stay with the Raiders. He says Raiders should do everything to try and keep him. The headline and first line are from the Raiders fanboi journo and or subby.

I'm going to play journalist. I'm going to use Bennett's quotes, word for word, and twist the whole article to my agenda. As soon as I can take a lunch break...

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
It's just weak journalism to generate some clicks.

''If I was the [Raiders'] coach I'd be doing everything I can to keep him,'' Bennett said.

Well no shit, there isn't a coach in the game who wouldn't try to keep a young up-and-coming star.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Last Chance Must Stick

Raiders legend Ricky Stuart is surely on his last chance. After coaching his teams to only one finals series in his last 5 seasons at the helm, Stuart has ran out of excuses.

Supercoach Wayne Bennett has weighed in to the debate, claiming it’s now or never for the legendary halfback to succeed behind the clip board. Asked whether there will be more pressure to deliver from the Raiders faithful due to his history at the club as a player, Bennett did not play it down.

''Ricky was idolised as a player here. The good thing is he's been away for a number of years and he's come back and that's the best way to do it. I don't think starting in Canberra straight after his career would have been the right way”

There is a perception that the Raiders are in tatters, especially after the sacking of arguably their two best players. However Bennett was quick to point out that Stuart had an enviable base to work from. He went so far as to suggest that talks of a rebuild, and the years it often takes to get a team winning again, is not a viable excuse.

''I don't think Ricky has to start from scratch, I think David has done a lot of good things here. One thing they do have in Canberra is talent,'' Bennett said.
''There are hugely talented players like Anthony Milford and Jack Wighton. There's some wonderful young players, Edrick Lee. It's exciting times, he's not starting from scratch.

With questionable recruitment efforts while at the helm of both Cronulla & Parramatta, Ricky Stuart has made attempts to turn that public perception around. While his struggle to keep Anthony Milford in the Green jersey has been one of the game’s worst secrets, a big money offer to raw yet talented young winger Edrick Lee at least netted him one catch. But will it be enough? Bennett laments the talent that has walked out on Stuart during his coaching career, suggesting that he needs to be much more pro-active when it comes to retention.

''Wonderful talent [like Milford] will get them back to where they want to go. But you can't keep losing it, it destroys what you're trying to build. That's in the past now, hopefully they can move forward and make sure they don't have that tragic loss of players.''

Pressed whether Bennett believes that the Raiders will be able to hold on to Milford, despite his wishes to move back to Brisbane to be with his sick father, Bennett was less positive. Despite Stuart himself walking out on the Eels for the same reason, Bennett conceded that if he wanted to keep Anthony, he’d have to play hard-ball.

''If I was the [Raiders'] coach I'd be doing everything I can to keep him,'' Bennett said.
''The talent he's got is rare. The Blake Fergusons, Josh Dugans and Milfords are rare.
''You can't get it every day of the week and if you go back to the great Raiders teams of the 1990s, the one thing that stood out is that they had wonderful talent.

NOTE: THIS IS A FICTIONAL ARTICLE DESIGNED TO SHOW HOW EASY IT IS TO TWIST QUOTES.

P

papabear

NYC Player
Nov 1, 2013
I dont know why you guys got offended so much by my little summary of the state of play.

That said the hoffman and baptiste for milford deal is pretty average from the raiders point of view.

Like in the NBA, usually the team receiving more players got the crappy end of the stick.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
It isn't really the club's recruitment staff's fault that some of their top players act like absolute goofs off the field and do things that lead to them being sacked. Recruitment isn't a problem at the Raiders it's the culture and player behavior.

Wally is more anti-Broncos if you ask me everything we do well is mainly from the other team being bad and he seems to talk us down all the time.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Becaus ether forget who got them where they are. I often laugh at how quick Benny is to put the boot into the broncos but forget they made them

Xavier

Xavier

NYC Player
Mar 24, 2013
I actually find Wally to be relatively neutral. Gus tends to always give the Broncos big raps. Fatty seems to be against any team other than Manly.

That article about Milford and Bennett is a complete farce.
Bennett in no way, shape or form says Milford should stay in Canberra. He simply states the obvious. That Milford is a talent and they should try and keep.

Then the Canberra Times even tags him on twitter with the article.

And they says the Bronx fans play mind games????

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Becaus ether forget who got them where they are. I often laugh at how quick Benny is to put the boot into the broncos but forget they made them

This is the part that annoys me. I know we still have a few ex players at the club but the ones who are off helping other clubs are always the first to say something when something goes wrong with the Broncos eg. Benny, Wally, Del and Gordy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • theshed
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.