[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Reed will wind up in the second row eventually, it's not underrating him. It's just seeing something else from him.

I still think Reed will wind up in the second row eventually, it's not underrating him. It's just seeing something else from him.

We have an abundance of first class (Thaiday, Gillett, Parker, Glenn) and developing (Oates, Timu, Molo) second rowers, why would the Broncos take an international player who is probably the best defensive centre in the game (who can also find the line well under a high ball) and shove him in the second row doing hit ups.

We have an abundance of first class (Thaiday, Gillett, Parker, Glenn) and developing (Oates, Timu, Molo) second rowers, why would the Broncos take an international player who is probably the best defensive centre in the game (who can also find the line well under a high ball) and shove him in the second row doing hit ups.

No guarantee the developing players will eventuate and Thaiday/Parker will retire well before Reeds time is up as well. I'm not saying it's definite, just an opinion of where I see his future.

I do see Hoffmans future in the centers as well ... but if both Milford and Barba do sigh with us, i would leave Hoffman on the wing until Hodges retires then move him in field. Reed is under-rated IMHO, and he is costing us SFA as well. BARGAIN

We really are on opposite sides of the fence on this one KW .......because that's exactly what I see the Raiders trying to do with Milford right now. Turn him into something he's not, because at the moment Milford playing fullback, suits their team selection.

He can still offer what he can right now from 5/8 (his running game) and he won't be a liability in defence in the front line as he is looking like out the back. I think the creativity will still come over time. Much in the way John Sutton is developing ....at one point I would have solely described Sutton as only having a running game, but over time and this year in particular his leadership and organisational skill along with some real play making talent has been a pleasure to watch. (and that's coming from someone who used to bag him relentlessly)

If we end up with both Barba AND Milford ....Milford has to be our first choice at 6.

He's always played fullback. That's his best position.

Wow, so this is actually happening.

I feel bad for the Raiders, maybe they should relocate up here and play out of Davies Park :winky:

How long would he sign for? Would he want to stay or go back to Canberra one day? Questions, questions..

People change. In the real world it happens all the time. People give notice and leave for a competitor, usually for selfish reasons than their father being sick.

All this feather ruffling from both the Bulldogs and the Raiders comes to nothing.

A Court won't enforce a contract for personal services. It won't bind 2 unwilling parties to an irreconcilable contract.

You can't make Milford play for the Raiders. You can't make Barba play for the Bulldogs.

You can terminate and sue for damages (but what's your direct loss - loss that isn't consequential?). Perhaps you could seek an injunction to prevent them for the rest of the season from playing for another club. I don't like your chances.

A Court won't enforce a clause in a contract preventing a player from making a livelihood unless there is a legitimate and reasonable commercial interest to be protected.

You can't stop Milford or Barba from playing for another club.

That's straightforward contract law.

The problem is when the NRL waves its big mandatory wand around. Leave the players and clubs to manage themselves.

Free market all the way.

Milford will not be picked at number 1 over Barba. Not in a million years. If only for the fact that Griffin is a very lateral thinker.

Milford will not be picked at number 1 over Barba. Not in a million years. If only for the fact that Griffin is a very lateral thinker.

That's not the issue, I'm pointing out the people saying he's not a fullback are wrong.

People change. In the real world it happens all the time. People give notice and leave for a competitor, usually for selfish reasons than their father being sick.

All this feather ruffling from both the Bulldogs and the Raiders comes to nothing.

A Court won't enforce a contract for personal services. It won't bind 2 unwilling parties to an irreconcilable contract.

You can't make Milford play for the Raiders. You can't make Barba play for the Bulldogs.

You can terminate and sue for damages (but what's your direct loss - loss that isn't consequential?). Perhaps you could seek an injunction to prevent them for the rest of the season from playing for another club. I don't like your chances.

A Court won't enforce a clause in a contract preventing a player from making a livelihood unless there is a legitimate and reasonable commercial interest to be protected.

You can't stop Milford or Barba from playing for another club.

That's straightforward contract law.

The problem is when the NRL waves its big mandatory wand around. Leave the players and clubs to manage themselves.

Free market all the way.

lawyered!!

I have an old mate who'd love to argue for hours about the set-up of the modern game but in my case it isn't something I'm really keen on pursuing. All I can say here is that I couldn't disagree more strongly with this post. For almost every team in the NRL, the vast majority of attacking plays inside the 20 do not see both halves touch the ball.

Absolutely. The only time it happens is if a play starts on the far right or far left.

I get the feeling it's going to be 1 or the other. I kinda hope it's Milford. Barba spells trouble to me, much like Dugan.

And Milford is absolutely a work in progress. I don't think Griffin is the type of coach willing to throw him straight into the hallowed territory of the Broncos number 6 jersey and let the vultures tear him apart at the first sign of failure.

And I think Milford would struggle to push Hoffman out of the 1 jersey at the moment.

EDIT: Avatar pic does not represent my bias :tongue_smilie:

Good wingers are worth their weight in gold. I'd keep Hoffy on the wing at this stage.

Always ?

Played a lot of u/20's as a 5/8.

Selected for various rep teams as a half ......

after reading some of the comments over at the greenhouse, i more than ever hope we sign him and he goes back to canberra an carves them up bigtime.

They are pretty much saying that the Broncos are solely responsible for Milford asking for a release, that the article with Milfords mum was their doing.

their calling for the NRL to investigate us for our "underhanded" tactics. and that the NRL should refuse to allow him to play for us (or any other NRL club) and especially given the Dugan and Carney situations.; which they probably blame us for as well.

**** them. :001_rolleyes:

mind you there are a couple of sensible posters over there, but they are being over shadowed by the conspiracy nuts.

some of the better comments were alongf the lines of:

If you think the Raiders wouldn't be doing the same in a similar situation your naive

the Broncos really don't have to do anything here, they can just sit back and let Milfords agent and mum do it with the medias assistance. all they really needed to do was inform Milfords agent that they are interested if he comes on the market.

I hate reading media reports saying we should sign Barba and we should sign Milford. I just want an official press release from the Broncos saying "we've signed them". For God's sake, we signed Martin Kennedy weeks ago and the club still hasn't confirmed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • levikaden
  • heartly87
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • spanky
  • Hoof Hearted
  • bert_lifts
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.