[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

Re: Ben Barba - Breaking News

I don't know what to think just yet. At the moment we have even less information than we had about Te'o. We have a photo of a woman with a bloody lip, and a statement that it was done by Barba. No police report, no witnesses that we know about.

Clearly though this was the real cause of the suspension, and I think we all had suspicions of that back then. The gambling story - then being resolved so quickly - seemed a load of crap. And this makes more sense why his partner would break up with him over it and want to leave. So while we don't have anything concrete, the story all fits together.

Does that mean the Broncos should tear up his contract? Well not yet. Not until the full circumstances of the situation are known. And it's actually heartening that the Broncos are lining up assistance for him in case he does still come.

Like Dexter I don't think a comparison to Dugan is particularly valid. Dugan was on the cusp of having a deal to sign and then he tells a fan to "off himself" on social media, when it was social media issues that led to his dismissal from Canberra in the first place. To be comparable, Barba would have to go hit someone now.

If Barba's genuinely remorseful, genuinely working to repair the damage with his relationship and whoever the alleged victim is, then I don't have a problem with him still coming.

He's not in the same league as Robert Lui (multiple assaults on his partner) and Greg Bird (a glass in the face of his partner) or Wes Naiqama (multiple assaults on his ex girlfriend). Is it acceptable to hit a woman? No. Is it forgiveable? Well that entirely depends on subsequent actions. From all I've read so far, Barba has worked hard to try and make amends.

Does that make me a bloody hypocrite? Well, I'll let Queenslander and hayseed judge that.

Couldn't agree more with everything you have said.

Queenslander and hayseed seem to be the rulers of morality around here, but I don't think anything is black and white and personally I am proud that the broncos have said they will stand by him and give him the support he needs. If that makes me a hypocrite, or a bogan or whatever then so be it.

I do however find it interesting [MENTION=1771]QUEENSLANDER[/MENTION] that you lord it over us and call us hypocrites when I have heard you wax lyrical about inglis, and you certainly have no problems supporting him when he plays for queensland

But everyone is happy to just throw all their support behind Barba and blame the media and the bulldogs for bringing this to light. If he wasnt in a broncos jersey, ppl wouldnt be backing him, thats all im saying.

Once again that's a generalization and you have no way of knowing if that's true. I back inglis because he has obviously taken steps to fix his issues, as has barba it would seem. Last time I checked inglis doesn't where a broncos jersey...

But everyone is happy to just throw all their support behind Barba and blame the media and the bulldogs for bringing this to light. If he wasnt in a broncos jersey, ppl wouldnt be backing him, thats all im saying.

I don't know that this is either accurate or fair tbh. I did not see a lot of people lining up to throw Ben Teo under the bus despite him not being with us any longer (although my memory may be faulty). I more recall people saying that he deserves the principle of innocent until proven guilty and wait and see what the outcome of the investigations were.

Given the circumstances here, that is coming out six months down the track, the reluctance of the purported victim to make a complaint to the police and the actual circumstances are murky, I don't find it hypocritical or unacceptable that the broncos community is automatically accepting the allegation as gospel and hanging him out to dry.

I think ultimately nothing will come from this because if his ex is denying it is her and denying any domestic violence, and the alleged victim is denying that the event occurred, I can't see how any investigation can progress or that adverse findings could be made against him.

I don't know that this is either accurate or fair tbh. I did not see a lot of people lining up to throw Ben Teo under the bus despite him not being with us any longer (although my memory may be faulty). I more recall people saying that he deserves the principle of innocent until proven guilty and wait and see what the outcome of the investigations were.

Given the circumstances here, that is coming out six months down the track, the reluctance of the purported victim to make a complaint to the police and the actual circumstances are murky, I don't find it hypocritical or unacceptable that the broncos community is automatically accepting the allegation as gospel and hanging him out to dry.

I think ultimately nothing will come from this because if his ex is denying it is her and denying any domestic violence, and the alleged victim is denying that the event occurred, I can't see how any investigation can progress or that adverse findings could be made against him.

Exactly. And while that doesn't mean nothing happened, it's pretty much impossible to make a judgment on it.

My biggest gripe in all this is the Bulldogs. We could all tell at the time that there was much more to the story of him being stood down. Just like those of us who have a BS filter have known all along that Greenberg is a master wordsmith and values saying the right thing over doing the right thing. It's all about image, and keeping the "Family Club" branding intact has been the priority above actually advocating those values.

Couldn't agree more with everything you have said.

Queenslander and hayseed seem to be the rulers of morality around here, but I don't think anything is black and white and personally I am proud that the broncos have said they will stand by him and give him the support he needs. If that makes me a hypocrite, or a bogan or whatever then so be it.

I do however find it interesting @QUEENSLANDER that you lord it over us and call us hypocrites when I have heard you wax lyrical about inglis, and you certainly have no problems supporting him when he plays for queensland

Nowhere have i condemned barba for this whole scenario. Im not for or against his signing. I think its a great signing, but now im aware of these allegations, im concerned about the future of him being at the broncos. I am not coming on here defending him and blaming the bulldogs, nor am I coming on here throwing him under the bus. I, for one, dont care what a player does off the field as long as he performs well on it.

However, i see lots of inconsistencies from many ppl on here (not all of them) where they will hate on a player such as dugan, b stewart etc but as soon as one of "our own" is in the same scenario, they blame everyone else.

Broncos didn't know about this specific incident.

Yes, the Broncos were not made aware of this particular incident. They were told about the rest. You may not see Barba in the Broncos next year if it is all true and I would be happy with that (ie if he did beat his wife I would be happy for his contract to be torn up). No doubt Hoffman will be our fullback next year if we don't stick with Barba, I believe this would be the case even if we signed Milford. On a positive note I saw Hoffman throw a good pass in the game just gone by.

Last edited:

Just to add to Pete's earlier posts - from here on in, anyone who posts unsubstantiated allegations/rumours/innuendo/whatever you want to call them, will cop an infraction. We can't take risks with this type of stuff, so please use your head, and don't partake in Chinese whispers.

You have been warned purple monkey dishwasher.

Noted. In my defence though, I didn't name anyone. Simply said "a player". So i was trying to play by the rules. The fact that it was in the Barba thread was a bit of an oversight on my part though lol.

This is a big statement in the context of these allegations. How can you be so sure?
can't be sure, I would be surprised if they weren't aware of the rumour of the photo floating around though.

Yes, the Broncos were not made aware of this particular incident. They were told about the rest. You may not see Barba in the Broncos next year if it is all true and I would be happy with that (ie if he did beat his wife I would be happy for his contract to be torn up). No doubt Hoffman will be our fullback next year if we don't stick with Barba, I believe this would be the case even if we signed Milford. On a positive note I saw Hoffman throw a good pass in the game just gone by.

So which one from the kennel are you. Mr Invisible? The greatest? Blueandwhite? Jimmy the Greek?

However, i see lots of inconsistencies from many ppl on here (not all of them) where they will hate on a player such as dugan, b stewart etc but as soon as one of "our own" is in the same scenario, they blame everyone else.

To be fair, Barba isn't "one of our own"....yet. This is an incident that occurred before his involvement with us. As I and others have said before, what you do before you sign is something entirely different to something you do after you've signed and become part of the club.

It's certainly not hypocritical of the club to ditch Dugan but maintain the relationship with Barba. Nor is it hypocritical to sack guys like Lacey, Te Reo, Seymour, Costigan and yet sign Barba. (You could argue it was hypocritical not to sack Hunt, Thaiday and Boyd but that's just going to send AP on another Toiletgate rant).

On the other hand I wouldn't consider signing someone like Lui or Bird because of the severity of the nature of their offences. In both cases they caused pretty serious injury, and it's fair to say neither did anything to make up for what they'd done. Frankly I don't think either of them should be playing professional sport at any level, but clearly my opinion isn't shared by the powers that be.

Funny how we have a sudden influx of new members lol

So which one from the kennel are you. Mr Invisible? The greatest? Blueandwhite? Jimmy the Greek?

Not from those sorry. If the rumours are true I really don't want Barba, just my opinion. This will unfortunately mean we will be stuck with Hoffman at fullback. I believe Milford will be in the halves if we sign him. All guesses and just my opinion, nothing more obviously.

Not from those sorry. If the rumours are true I really don't want Barba, just my opinion. This will unfortunately mean we will be stuck with Hoffman at fullback. I believe Milford will be in the halves if we sign him. All guesses and just my opinion, nothing more obviously.

Well I apologise if you indeed are not one of them. It just gets a bit suss when ever there is a scandal we have never been so popular, like I say tho sorry if I falsely accused you

I think it could be a positive for Brisbane to take on Barba, not just on the field but off the field as well. So many times when a player ***** up they move clubs and hope for the best, you don't hear anything of a plan in place to help them or a support network getting it right. Need less abandoning of players and more support and rehab, not just the players but the families.

Is it safe for me to say that the person in those pics was his partner? Originally someone commented that she has a ring above her lip, and the pic didn't show that (suggested that it's possible the image was flipped though). But the full pic has now been circulated by the press, which, unless someone else has an identical piercing, rules out the other rumour that it was the partner of another player.

779522-currie-bleeding.jpg

Paul Kent: Ben Barba issue hits at NRL integrity | News.com.au

Active Now

• Evander
  • Wild Horse
  • barker
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • porouian
  • Howie
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Cobra Kai
  • leish107
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.