[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

Re: Ben Barba - Breaking News

news.com.au are referring to the photo as of Ainslie Currie and have text messages (of hers) to a friend talking about a busted lip. So technically we're just posting info from a major news site, which I believe is within the rules? And even they aren't saying "alleged":

" A photograph of Currie with a bleeding mouth — published in yesterday’s The Sunday Telegraph — was described as “deeply disturbing’’ by the NRL."

"
The Sunday Telegraph obtained a picture of Currie after the alleged punch, as well as text messages she sent a friend detailing the alleged injuries.

“Just have a busted lip,’’ Currie wrote.

“I have to go away for a few days, maybe weeks.

“I have the biggest bruised jaw ever. It’s yuk.’’

NRL integrity unit to launch independent review into allegations Ben Barba hit girlfriend Ainslie Currie | News.com.au

Not a fan of how this is being played out....

-Something happens and she gets a busted lip.
- Barba goes into rehab to fix his problems.
- Bulldogs support him and allow him the time off.
- Barba comes back early.
- Currie and Barba start to work on their problem.
- Currie wants to move to QLD, Barba wishes to follow to be with his kids and to continue working on their relationship.
- Bulldogs release Barba to the Broncos allowing him to move.
- Bulldogs ask the NRL to investigate the first incident after previously brushing it off as 'nothing illegal'

So from an outsides view it appears there was an incident between them, Barba went for help and the Dogs supported that desire. Currie and Barba wanted to work past it but Sydney wasn't the place. With no other sensible choice the Dogs release him to allow him to become hopefully a better person and fix his family. This is where it all should have stopped in the media but for some reason the Dogs now want an incident they 'sorted' out earlier to be investigated.

Not a fan of how this is being played out....

-Something happens and she gets a busted lip.
- Barba goes into rehab to fix his problems.
- Bulldogs support him and allow him the time off.
- Barba comes back early.
- Currie and Barba start to work on their problem.
- Currie wants to move to QLD, Barba wishes to follow to be with his kids and to continue working on their relationship.
- Bulldogs release Barba to the Broncos allowing him to move.
- Bulldogs ask the NRL to investigate the first incident after previously brushing it off as 'nothing illegal'

So from an outsides view it appears there was an incident between them, Barba went for help and the Dogs supported that desire. Currie and Barba wanted to work past it but Sydney wasn't the place. With no other sensible choice the Dogs release him to allow him to become hopefully a better person and fix his family. This is where it all should have stopped in the media but for some reason the Dogs now want an incident they 'sorted' out earlier to be investigated.

You forgot to mention that the whistleblower was a Bulldogs official who reckons they were concerned that Barba needed more help. But of course, there was, what, 6 months of no concern until he gets released to another club and injuries look likely to prevent him from playing any more games for them this year...

My biggest concern is that Barba hasn't even signed a contract with the Broncos yet. And even if he does, there is no guarantee that the NRL will register it.

I can smell another Inglis situation about to blow up in our faces........

If he did hit his ex-wife then I have no problems with him being banned for a while. Hitting females in almost all circumstances should not be tolerated and the NRL have been far too lenient on the issue for my liking. It will be very disappointing though as I am looking forward to seeing him in the Broncos colours.

My biggest concern is that Barba hasn't even signed a contract with the Broncos yet. And even if he does, there is no guarantee that the NRL will register it.

619120-todd-greenberg.jpg

I get the feeling the Bulldogs were holding this over Barba. You stay with us we won't leak it. You go to another club and will make this public. Of course I have no knowledge of this, although it is very strange that this information has only come out now that he has signed for another club.

This thread is out of control... None of this is our business...

I get the feeling the Bulldogs were holding this over Barba. You stay with us we won't leak it. You go to another club and will make this public. Of course I have no knowledge of this, although it is very strange that this information has only come out now that he has signed for another club.

I can't help shake that feeling too, they were VERY insistent that he'd be staying with them. But I honestly doubt they'd stoop to blackmail, which Barba can subsequently take them to court for.

This thread is out of control... None of this is our business...

The reason that I'm so pissed off about this is that I've been telling anyone who cares to listen that Greenberg is as slimy as they come. The implications of someone like this running the football side of the NRL is huge. To me, it's the way that things are run in the AFL - who cares what goes on in the background as long as it looks like everything's peachy on the surface. I don't know if I want that for Rugby League. I'm sure plenty of people would love it that way, but RL is a working-man's game, not a politician's game.

http://m.broncos.com.au/news-display/Broncos-Negotiate-Unique-Contract-For-Barba/83131

This article has a quote from White saying that we have signed him.

Besides there are differences between this and the Inglis situation. Like Barba can't couldn't really play with the Bulldogs next season due to what's happened and he could only get a release to go to us.

IIRC, The NRL have only suspended I player due to domestic violence and that player (Lui) was charged and convicted. Others like Bird and Inglis have avoided suspension.

We should be right, we just need to get him up here before it rains, because as Inglis has told us planes don't fly in the rain

Since their handling of the Barba allegations are now being investigated, then their media leak may have blown up in their faces.

http://m.broncos.com.au/news-display/Broncos-Negotiate-Unique-Contract-For-Barba/83131

This article has a quote from White saying that we have signed him.

Besides there are differences between this and the Inglis situation. Like Barba can't couldn't really play with the Bulldogs next season due to what's happened and he could only get a release to go to us.

IIRC, The NRL have only suspended I player due to domestic violence and that player (Lui) was charged and convicted. Others like Bird and Inglis have avoided suspension.

We should be right, we just need to get him up here before it rains, because as Inglis has told us planes don't fly in the rain

Its from Australian and I would prefer to trust the Australian more than Paul White.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

How did the media obtain the photograph and text msg's? I'm assuming the dogs had a copy of the photograph but the texts that the victim sent to a friend....that sounds suss to me.

...or the friend is cashing in?

Its from Australian and I would prefer to trust the Australian more than Paul White.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Either way the rest of my points remain valid. If the NRL didn't de-register Bird or Inglis. I can't see them de-registering Barba.

I find it hard to fathom how he could play with the Bulldogs in 2014 since it seems he has fallen out with many of his teammates. And we sre the club he has been released to.

IMO, the only way he won't be a Bronco in 2014 is if we pull the deal and I don't see that happening unless he does it again.

Besides I think most of what the media publish is BS or a beat up designed to sell papers

Last edited:

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Galah
  • Robboi_321
  • Lurker
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Locky24
  • Dexter
  • Cavalo
  • Hurrijo
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.