[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

Re: Ben Barba - Breaking News

I was listening to that too. Basically said that regardless of what the truth is, the fact that there were allegations of such behavior at the time and those allegations were not passes on to Police is damning. His phrasing was along the lines of that she had a vested interest in Barba not being sacked (both financial & family of course) and therefore the decision whether to press charges or not should have been taken out of her hands. And that the situation would be a common one in regards to domestic violence, which is why the power whether or not to investigate it does not lie solely with the victim. The fact that she said that she wouldn't pursue the matter after bulldogs officials had confirmed that doing so would result in him being sacked said as much.

He summarised by saying tha unless something else comes out, a missing piece of the puzzle where it made everything all make sense and vindicated the bulldog's actions, then Greenberg's position is untenable at the NRL.

Already the NRL is having to come up with a "work around" because of Greenburg's position as the NRL's head of football.

www.theage.com.au - NRL appoints independent investigator to quiz Greenberg

The NRL confirmed on Monday night that it had engaged the services of an independent senior counsel - rather than its own integrity and compliance unit - to avoid conflicts of interest in a case involving one of its most senior employees.

Surely Greenburg has to go .....

i recall back when the incident first occurred a friend said that greenburg leaving the dogs will be hte best thing for the dogs.

the same friend also told me back then who the player and players wife was that took this photo thats now turned up

Ahh, maybe I've missed the ones you were talking about. The ones I saw had lots of "alleged" and "rumoured" type language throughout the article where her name was mentioned in relation to the photo.

There are a couple of articles that are very similar but this one doesn't shy away:

NRL integrity unit to launch independent review into allegations Ben Barba hit girlfriend Ainslie Currie | News.com.au

Note it's the same pic & caption as another similar article, but the other one says ..."the woman sent"... whereas this one says ..."Currie sent"...

i recall back when the incident first occurred a friend said that greenburg leaving the dogs will be hte best thing for the dogs.

the same friend also told me back then who the player and players wife was that took this photo thats now turned up

IMO I wouldn't have thought that there would be too many Dogs fans who (up until now anyway) would have disliked Greenberg. He always said everything right, always played from the correct angle and sucked up to all the right people. Dream CEO as long as they were able to keep the skeletons well locked in the cupboard. Now though we're all seeing he was nothing but a politician.

i am confident this will all just fade away pretty quickly..

I definitely read an article in the last few days (can't remember where sorry) that said Currie issues a statement via her lawyer which stated she is not the victim in the photo and has never been the victim of any domestic violence.

NRL probe Canterbury ?cover-up? over Barba - this wasn't the article I read but still has some statements about what the lawyer said.

So who knows what to believe??!!??

even if it is her, she clearly wants nothing to do with it.

I definitely read an article in the last few days (can't remember where sorry) that said Currie issues a statement via her lawyer which stated she is not the victim in the photo and has never been the victim of any domestic violence.

NRL probe Canterbury ?cover-up? over Barba - this wasn't the article I read but still has some statements about what the lawyer said.

So who knows what to believe??!!??

I can't see in that article where she has said it's not her photo. Only that she has not been a victim of domestic violence.

??

Soooo... the dogs cover it up when he's still their star player, but when he leaves they spill the beans out of spite. Allegations aside, the bulldogs are a fucking scumbag club.

Last edited:

Soooo... the dogs cover it up when he's still their star player, but when he leaves they spill the beans out of spite.
Not having a go at you, but I need to ask, did you just figure that out? :laugh:

Soooo... the dogs cover it up when he's still their star player, but when he leaves they spill the beans out of spite. Allegations aside, the bulldogs are a ****ing scumbag club.

And when the NRL met with Greenberg shortly after they stood Barba down, he didn't mention anything about the allegations. Similarly, when Greenburg was alerted to the existence of the photograph of Currie with the busted lip, Greenberg (who was now employed by the NRL) did not attempt to investigate, and did not even ask to see the photo.

Bulldogs bosses kept NRL chief Dave Smith in the dark over Ben Barba assault claims | News.com.au

NEWLY appointed NRL head of football Todd Greenberg did not tell NRL boss Dave Smith of assault allegations against Ben Barba at a meeting two weeks after the disgraced Dally M medallist was stood down.

The NRL was never made aware of the assault allegations against Barba while the Bulldogs sought to help the fullback with a stint in a rehabilitation clinic for "alcohol and gambling" problems.
Greenberg is also potentially facing trouble on another front, with The Daily Telegraph able to reveal it had a discussion with Greenberg months ago in which he was told of a photo appearing to show Currie's split lip, but Greenberg took no action.
The NRL integrity unit is currently investigating what happened in the early hours of February 24, when Barba's former partner claimed to club officials that she had been hit in the face.
As well as the alleged assault, they are also looking at Greenberg and coach Des Hasler's handling of the situation.Greenberg and Canterbury chairman Ray Dib met with Smith two weeks after the press conference to explain to the NRL boss why they took the dramatic step of standing down the reigning Dally M winner.
Smith later said he was "comfortable" with the way Canterbury handled Barba's problems, but he did not know of Currie’s claim.
However he did not know the full story, that Currie claimed that Barba assaulted her.
But the club believes it acted properly when told of the allegations against Barba, urging Currie to report the matter to police.

She refused, with sources saying she told the Bulldogs she was informing them because she wanted them to find help for Barba.
When the Bulldogs indicated they felt obligated to take the matter to police, Currie reiterated she was unwilling to make a complaint and would deny any incident occurred if it was pursued.
The Bulldogs felt that without Currie's co-operation they were faced with no other option but to drop police involvement and seek help for Barba.
The NRL boss is in a difficult situation, with Greenberg having since left the Bulldogs to join the NRL as head of football.

Just a fortnight ago he fined Manly coach Geoff Toovey $10,000 for his comments on the performance of referees, saying it was "not a good look".
Currie has continued to deny Barba assaulted her, even as late as Saturday when she issued a statement through her lawyers denying the allegation.
Given her reluctance to come forward the Bulldogs believed it left them in a difficult position and with no option but to honour her wishes.
However it does not explain why Smith was not told two weeks later.
Months ago Greenberg was made aware a photograph existed of a woman with blood on her face and that she was allegedly assaulted by Barba.
At no stage did he ask to see the photograph.
The Daily Telegraph sports editor-at-large Phil Rothfield had been sent the photograph by text message from a person wanting payment.
The Daily Telegraph chose not to offer money but alerted Greenberg of its existence.
The Sunday Telegraph later obtained the photograph free of charge.
Rothfield says Greenberg would not comment when told about the picture.
The Daily Telegraph tried to contact Smith and Greenberg on Monday but they did not return calls.

Firstly i can't see anywhere is those text messages where Currie says that Barba struck her ...

secondly i doubt that person is a friend of Currie anymore, Currie asks her friend to delete the photo straight away and it ends up in the paper, along with the texting exchange .... nice friend to have

Firstly i can't see anywhere is those text messages where Currie says that Barba struck her ...

secondly i doubt that person is a friend of Currie anymore, Currie asks her friend to delete the photo straight away and it ends up in the paper, along with the texting exchange .... nice friend to have

Hello Mr Newspaper man, can I please take some of your money?

even if it is her, she clearly wants nothing to do with it.
Unfortunately that's usually the case though with victims of domestic violence especially when the partner is on a high income

Not having a go at you, but I need to ask, did you just figure that out? :laugh:

Have a go all you like mate :laugh: I'm a bit slow at times. At first I was under the impression it was just a leak, not an official complaint to the integrity unit.

Unfortunately that's usually the case though with victims of domestic violence especially when the partner is on a high income

Surely you are not suggesting that Ms Currie was concerned about her child support payments being reduced, if of course, child support was an issue, and if so, if the alleged DV would have resulted in Barba's income being chopped by the 'Dogs?

That might also raise the question of mandatory reporting of DV if there was any risk to the kids.

But then I am sure all that was taken into account by the 'Dogs and if it wasn't, I have this feeling it might be an agenda item shortly.

I am also interested in what, if any, are the rules set by the NRL about "mandatory reporting" by clubs of alleged crimes such as DV by their contracted players

Last edited:

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • TimWhatley
  • Dash
  • Locky24
  • johnny plath
  • Bronx48
  • theshed
  • Evander
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • Old Mate
  • Manlyman
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.