[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

I mean, who else are we going to spend 1mil a year on? Sam Williams?

I'd seriously throw 400-500K at him for a couple of years. Get rid of some of the duds in the side next year and in a couple of years see about signing another quality half if he fails.

One thing I will say about Tomkins - he is quite rightly worth more to the Warriors than he is to any other team. The style the Warriors play and with the likes of Shaun Johnson and Feleti Mateo in their team, no team will create more space and opportunity for Tomkins than the Warriors.

Tomkins has more upside than Barba IMO but more downside too. I would have no problems paying Tomkins 1mil a year but given the choice between the two I'm quite happy to take Barba. Seriously, when the alternative is spending 1/2 as much and having 1/10th of the player in Corey Norman at fullback, I don't see how anyone anywhere could object to this. I mean, who else are we going to spend 1mil a year on? Sam Williams?

If you overpay for players it mean your squad will have deficiency in another area. Like the halves in the Broncos case. It is all well and good to pay a guy 1 mil but does he have the team around him to still win a premiership??

If you overpay for players it mean your squad will have deficiency in another area. Like the halves in the Broncos case. It is all well and good to pay a guy 1 mil but does he have the team around him to still win a premiership??

IMO we haven't overpaid for a player in recent times and our squad is already deficient in a lot of areas, so I can't see how it gets any worse.

Besides, Barba's presence will help to reduce the issue of our halves. Look at Kris Keating and Josh Reynolds - hardly an inspired pairing, but with Barba in the team it was less of an issue. Barba helps our halves issue, not exacerbates it.

IMO we haven't overpaid for a player in recent times and our squad is already deficient in a lot of areas, so I can't see how it gets any worse.

Besides, Barba's presence will help to reduce the issue of our halves. Look at Kris Keating and Josh Reynolds - hardly an inspired pairing, but with Barba in the team it was less of an issue. Barba helps our halves issue, not exacerbates it.

I would argue that Prince/Wallace, going by last weeks performance are a slightly better pairing than Keating/Reynolds. The problem is they're way too inconsistent.

Got this text message from my source close to Red Hill (this almost never happens. I usually have to inquire to them):

"Hey ***** I figured you would want to hear about this. Barba is a done deal. 1 million over 4 years. I'm hearing that Bulldogs are furious because they haven't got Folau yet. Regardless Barba will be a Bronco next year. Good news aye :D Keep an eye on the headlines over the next few days."

About fucking time we made a major move. Now we just need a Halves pairing worth shit.

This post just made my day, thanks mate!

Oh and be honest, is the word you censored out “bitch” ???

The Dogs also have Graham who is probably the 2nd or 3rd best ball playing forward in the game. Guys like Kasiano, Pritchard and Eastwood are pretty damn good at it too.

with the price others are going for, theres no way barba would be settling for under $750k a season IMO, probably closer to $1mil.

absolutely not. he was the best player in the game last year. he can command 800+ without problem on the open market, i have no doubt.

quite frankly i have absolutely no problem with giving him 1 mil a year over 4 years, if is the case. probably exaggerated a little... watch his 2012 highlights and tell me he's not worth us spending a bit more than maybe necessary to lock him in.

1 mil for Barba is madness. 800k is overpaying him IMO. 1 mil is salary cap suicide. Players won't come to play beside Barba.

1. Hoffman
2. Yow Yeh
3. Hodges
4. Reed
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Hala
16. Glenn
17. Tasi

Just throwing it out there..

I'd rather something like:

1. Barba
2. Kahu
3. Hoffman
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Wallace (until/unless we find something better)
7. Hunt (unless he continues to flounder)

Last edited:
im assuming that 1mil a year is an exaggeration. easy for something reasonably close to that to get 'rounded up' once it hits txt message

I honestly think only Cam Smith is really worth that much...possibly Thurston and Inglis too. But if that's what it takes for us to get a gamebreaker, hopefully he pays off.

Cap has risen but I'd say he is worth 800. Wait that was using Thurston 1000000 benchmark but panthers offered 1.3 or 4 mil.

1 mil for Barba is madness. 800k is overpaying him IMO. 1 mil is salary cap suicide. Players won't come to play beside Barba.
1mill for him is probably too high, but who's to say it's 1mill right now? *IF* the deal is 4mill over 4 seasons, why couldn't we backend some of it as the salary cap increases? 750 2014, 900 2015, 1.1 2016, 1.25 2017 ?

Besides, I'd say we'd be getting some third party stuff happening so I don't think it'd be a case of 1mill straight out of our cap.

Last edited:
[RUMOUR] Barba to Broncos

We had the chance of a cheap fullback star named Dugan and we passed him up. Some agree, some didnt, but if you want us to win a premiership I don't see how you can possibly complain about signing Barba whilst still agreeing with the decision to cut Dugan.

Yeah, pretty sure the deal would be somehow back-ended and I can imagine substantial third party deals reducing the cap loading...

1mill for him is probably too high, but who's to say it's 1mill right now? *IF* the deal is 4mill over 4 seasons, why couldn't we backend some of it as the salary cap increases? 750 2014, 900 2015, 1.1 2016, 1.25 2017 ?

Besides, I'd say we'd be getting some third party stuff happening so I don't think it'd be a case of 1mill straight out of our cap.

exactly.

not to mention the fact that if we have big room in our cap next year why not just use it. theres no halves available it would seem (unless theres something going on behind the scenes)... so if the moneys just sitting there...

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • Fitzy
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.