[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

I'm not sure your point regarding setting a precedent?

The precedent i would like to avoid is failing to sign a player due to playing hardball on a contract in the media.

Of course i dont think we are at that stage and i honestly think (hope) that White knows it would cost more than 350k to sign Barba. I'm just not sure what benefit it does to say it publicly.

simply stating that if a club believes the asking price for a player is too high relative to that player's worth, they should move on ..

simply stating that if a club believes the asking price for a player is too high relative to that player's worth, they should move on ..

Fair enough.

I guess i'm just amazed that some people are questioning his worth. All year we have been complaining about lack of pace in the backline, lack of attack, we need better quality spine players and then when one comes around we are now saying we are not willing to pay him the dollars when we have the biggest sponsorship advantage in the comp with regards to salary cap.

We have the current Dally M winner in our grasp, the guy who will increase jersey sales and ticket sales and brings skills we badly need to be a force in the comp but we only want to pay him as much as Jack Reed? I just dont get it.

Why comment on it publicly at all though? The whole time we have been fed the bullshit line of 'we won't comment publicly on recruitment' all of a sudden in one article we have the CEO and our ex captain waxing lyrical about what they think barba is worth.

He's a news flash, this squad sucks, we have no X factor, so until you have signed someone to fit the bill get back in you office and make it fucking happen. Until then shut the **** up

5 internets says a newspaper article tomorrow will say the exact opposite. It seems the articles flip flop almost daily

Fair enough.

I guess i'm just amazed that some people are questioning his worth. All year we have been complaining about lack of pace in the backline, lack of attack, we need better quality spine players and then when one comes around we are now saying we are not willing to pay him the dollars when we have the biggest sponsorship advantage in the comp with regards to salary cap.

We have the current Dally M winner in our grasp, the guy who will increase jersey sales and ticket sales and brings skills we badly need to be a force in the comp but we only want to pay him as much as Jack Reed? I just dont get it.

It's simple really. It all comes down to leg speed

5 internets says a newspaper article tomorrow will say the exact opposite. It seems the articles flip flop almost daily

Ill bet you 10 internets that tomorrow articles say 'titans a late player in the barba saga'

Fair enough.

Maybe because they r trying to get a better deal cause they have a plan to bring not just one big name but 2 or 3 to the club

Maybe because they r trying to get a better deal cause they have a plan to bring not just one big name but 2 or 3 to the club

Fair enough and sounds great. I just wondering how publicly stating they believe he is worth the same as jack reed gets that first one here

You mean the current players that got us bundled out without a fight first round of finals last year and who have done well lately to get us into 10th spot?

Sure, i'd be prepared to not re-sign some of these if we get Barba. Who are the other players we are missing out on by signing Barba?

I dont see why we couldnt fit Barba @700k into our current squad anyway.

Plus other players from other clubs. Lets not forget our halves situation. We need Barba but we also need a dominant half. If we over pay for Barba it could stop is getting a half of real quality.

Plus other players from other clubs. Lets not forget our halves situation. We need Barba but we also need a dominant half. If we over pay for Barba it could stop is getting a half of real quality.

I know what you are saying but there are no dominant half's available. Barba is here and now. The last dominant half available we didnt get (Thurston/Carney) why would the next be any different? The DCE rumour is bullshit so he is at least 2 years off. Who else is there Pearce, Maloney, Johnson, Sandow, Sutton, Reynolds?? Maybe we would be a chance at Johnson but is he really any better for us than Barba?

I'd hate our attitude to be save some cash just incase a dominant half becomes available meanwhile we are 5 wins from 12 half way through next season.

I don't get why they would state this publicly. Either they've fucked it up again and are trying to save face ... or they are just saying this so the Dog's will feel more happy about giving him a release.

Barba is worth $500k but I think the highest determining factor of a player's worth is how much a team needs them. With that in mind I think Barba is worth an easy $700k to our current squad.

I don't get why they would state this publicly. Either they've fucked it up again and are trying to save face ... or they are just saying this so the Dog's will feel more happy about giving him a release.

Barba is worth $500k but I think the highest determining factor of a player's worth is how much a team needs them. With that in mind I think Barba is worth an easy $700k to our current squad.

Pretty much my thoughts. If we were battling it out for the minor premiership i'd be happy for White to stick to his guns but where we currently sit with our 2 best backs injured, 1 for the best part of next year and 1 indefinately/permanently an perceived over payment of 150-200k is worth it.

Couldn't agree more

everyone is talking about Barba being worth 700k, which i agree is true he is worth 700k, but the article i posted is saying his management have set the asking price at $1 million. thats the problem

from reading the article, IMO, it basically says that the Broncos will be offering 700k (350k base plus roughly the same in marquee allowances and 3rd party deals)

Let's take a guess.
the rumours are way over the mark and White made the comment so the rest of the squad does not get their noses out of joint over a speculated overs contract for him when the offer is around 600000 to 700000 and not a million as rumoured

Not the whole article but some interesting quotes from it:

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

Seems a bit misleading. I have no issues with him earning 1 million at our club, as long as only about 500-600 of that is under the cap. If his management is asking for 1mill + 3rd party he can GAGF. He's a quality player and I'm sure he'll be worth it in the future, but not now.

everyone is talking about Barba being worth 700k, which i agree is true he is worth 700k, but the article i posted is saying his management have set the asking price at $1 million. thats the problem

from reading the article, IMO, it basically says that the Broncos will be offering 700k (350k base plus roughly the same in marquee allowances and 3rd party deals)

Well, obviously Barba isn't worth a million a season but that still doesn't explain why you would question his worth publicly. If this article is to be taken at face value, White hasn't even talked to Barba's management about a price, AND he's getting his info from rumors. Considering Barba was meant to be a sure thing for weeks now, that is a little disconcerting.

The last time we paid overs for a player was Israel Folau. As a result we lost a swag of players. And then after 2 seasons, Folau walked out anyway.

I suspect this is the Broncos way of saying we're not going there again.

Unread

Active Now

• marw
  • Financeguy
  • theshed
  • Dexter
  • Griffo
  • kwomo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.