[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

Considering he has formerly asked for a release from the Dogs, I'd say a deal has already been agreed upon.

I'd say that means he's not playing for the Dogs next year.

The way White spoke, no offers have been tabled. In fact it sounds like they haven't even reached the table yet.

I'd say that means he's not playing for the Dogs next year.

The way White spoke, no offers have been tabled. In fact it sounds like they haven't even reached the table yet.

I'm sure they haven't as I'm fairly certain they can't. However, I'd suggest informal discussions have been had in which figures were thrown around and agreed upon. I don't see him leaving the Dogs without at least some idea of what he'll be doing in 2014.

I'm sure they haven't as I'm fairly certain they can't. However, I'd suggest informal discussions have been had in which figures were thrown around and agreed upon. I don't see him leaving the Dogs without at least some idea of what he'll be doing in 2014.

That's right. It's a common belief that players don't ask for a release unless they've already got another deal on the table. FWIW, $500k on the books, plus $500k in marquee and 3rd party, well that's not that bad. Even if he gets a $100k slice of the marquee allowance, that's really only $600k on the cap. Not ideal, but better than the $700k that people were willing to throw at him. Assuming the final $400k is non-guaranteed external 3rd party stuff (which is likely as he's very marketable).

That's right. It's a common belief that players don't ask for a release unless they've already got another deal on the table. FWIW, $500k on the books, plus $500k in marquee and 3rd party, well that's not that bad. Even if he gets a $100k slice of the marquee allowance, that's really only $600k on the cap. Not ideal, but better than the $700k that people were willing to throw at him. Assuming the final $400k is non-guaranteed external 3rd party stuff (which is likely as he's very marketable).

For third party deals to be exempt from the cap, it would mean that the Broncos can not provide any assistance in Barba securing them, so IMO by asking the Broncos to include them in the package means that we would need to have them included in the cap.

not sure what the marquee allowance is (some of it is probably already used on existing players. I believe that we can use our sponsors to provide 3rd party deals to players (limit of 300k per club - some of this allowance, if not all would be used on players already on our books)

Has Barba actually been granted a release yet? If not, then it would be illegal for White to talk to Barba ... Yeah,yeah, I know.
But seriously, it may be just as much about trying to placate the current squad from getting shirty that he's getting paid three times what they are.

and they plan to keep that a secret for how long .....?

:001_rolleyes:

Has Barba actually been granted a release yet? If not, then it would be illegal for White to talk to Barba ... Yeah,yeah, I know.
But seriously, it may be just as much about trying to placate the current squad from getting shirty that he's getting paid three times what they are.

given that there is a good chance that a release will be granted (depending on both Broncos and Bulldogs agreeing to compensation) then Barba may have been given permission to negotiate with the Broncos. obviously nothing could be made official until a release is granted

Barba shouldn't be signed for anything higher than what he is on at Canterbury if he signed for something higher it would make him out to be someone who has achieved everything in the game when he still has got a lot to achieve.

I think we'll get him.... and it won't be for $1million a year either.

Sanity will prevail :thumbup1:

Barba shouldn't be signed for anything higher than what he is on at Canterbury if he signed for something higher it would make him out to be someone who has achieved everything in the game when he still has got a lot to achieve.

How so? He's just trying to get as much money as possible. For a lot of the players, the 10-15 years of NRL is their biggest opportunity to get a head start on life, because afterwards they'll be having regular jobs.

How so? He's just trying to get as much money as possible. For a lot of the players, the 10-15 years of NRL is their biggest opportunity to get a head start on life, because afterwards they'll be having regular jobs.

I understand what he's saying though. If the move is family-motivated, he should prove it by taking the same money that he would on any remaining years of his current contract.

So wise ...for someone so young.

Well said. :thumbup1:

What does this mean? LOl.
Barba posted on Instagram a dictionary entry of the word "gullible" an hour ago ...

What does this mean? LOl.
Barba posted on Instagram a dictionary entry of the word "gullible" an hour ago ...

He's telling the Bulldogs that they're suckers, as he laughs all the way to the bank? Or he's about to sign with the Titans after the Broncos did all the hard work in negotiating the release?

maybe Locky knows something we don't

I have to admit to thinking the same......?

Does seem like an odd thing to say otherwise.

I don't like the idea of Barba defending in the front line........Milford is stronger.

if he signed for something higher it would make him out to be someone who has achieved everything in the game when he still has got a lot to achieve.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

If Barba signed for more it would NOT make him out to be someone who has achieved everything in the game. It would be a reflection that:

A) The salary cap is now higher than when it was when Barba signed his existing deal
B) Since Barba signed his existing deal he has improved as a player.

Corey Oates has still got a lot to achieve in the game. By your reasoning he shouldn't get an upgrade on his rookie contract until he's achieved everything.

Unread

Active Now

• mieko
  • Fitzy
  • Hurrijo
  • Browny
  • Locky’s Left Boot
  • barker
  • Sproj
  • HVbronco
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • YeahNahMate
  • theshed
  • john1420
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.