[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

Re: Ben Barba - Breaking News

This is just disgraceful form from the dogs and the tele. The guy is trying to start a new life and the drop this the week he signs for a new club and on Father's Day.... But the are only concerned for his welfare, what a load of shit. Journalists are bottom feeders, as simple as that

The partner of Canterbury superstar Ben Barba has denied being the victim of domestic violence during their relationship in a statement issued by her lawyer on Saturday.The Bulldogs issued Barba a compassionate release from the final two years of his NRL contract in order to reconcile with partner Ainslie Currie, the mother of their two children. Currie is relocating to Queensland to be closer to her family and Barba has signed with Brisbane.
Barba and Currie separated while the Dally M medallist went into rehabilitation to deal with personal problems, including gambling and alcohol-related issues. All parties vehemently denied the split was due to domestic violence at the time. However, Currie's lawyer, Campbell MacCallum, took the unprecedented step of issuing a statement following speculation a photo of Currie was going to be published on Sunday.
''I understand that it is the intention to have the issue of domestic violence within their relationship brought once again to the surface,'' MacCallum said.
Advertisement
''This issue has previously been reported and rumoured throughout media outlets approximately 4-5 months ago.
''At that time Ms Currie advised that she became aware of the 'rumours and accusations about herself and Ben'. She had stated at that time when contacted that there was no violence within the relationship. It has now come to her attention once again that such rumours are circulating again due to new information which is alleged to implicate Mr Barba. Ms Currie now wishes to place on record for the final time, through myself as her legal representative, that there has never been physical violence in the relationship and that the allegations that have been put to her by various media commentators are in fact incorrect.
''Ms Currie and Ben Barba are dealing with their personal relationship and are focused on developing a close and stable relationship for themselves and their two young children.'' Canterbury chief executive Raelene Castle said the ''Family Club'' had done everything possible to support Barba during a difficult period. ''The Bulldogs are completely comfortable that we did everything we possibly could for Ben, in his support,'' Castle said.
Asked if the issue of the Currie photo had been passed on to the NRL's integrity unit, Castle said: ''There hasn't been a need to.''

Barba's partner denies innuendo

If anyone knows any member of the Indigenous All stars ask em what happened after the game this year concerning Barba

No doubt the Integrity Unit will investigate the ethics of Bulldogs Officials

They knew about it in February. Ah, the taste of sour grapes

If anyone knows any member of the Indigenous All stars ask em what happened after the game this year concerning Barba

I'll have to get on the blower to Georgie Rose and get the goss

I wonder if Broncos officials will make a comment about the situation

Would these allegations have re-surfaced had Barba stayed with the Bulldogs?? I would say a resounding NO. The Bulldogs officials need to be held accountable for systematically covering up a potentially terrible and shocking issue. I would like to know what has changed in these last 6 mths or so (apart from Barba signing with us). Those are the questions that need to be asked.

Barba is no angel but this article is speculative dribble from start to confusing finish.

Some Bulldogs officials are so concerned about the situation they revealed details to The Sunday Telegraph, including the claim Barba failed to complete the counselling ordered by the Bulldogs.

Bizarre, how does going to the media help Barba or the women involved exactly? Strange that they only became 'concerned' days after he signed to play elsewhere.

The Sunday Telegraph does not claim the alleged punch occurred.

Despite the headline claiming it is "the real reason"? The only reason they put that in is because they went to the woman for a quote and she denied it happened, and in fact released a press statement through her lawyers last night denying it happened, so instead of using that quote in the story they ignore it and change the name of the individual to 'woman'.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned the Bulldogs helped pick the Brisbane Broncos as Barba's next club, largely because of a well-regarded welfare program that will continue Barba's care. There are also suggestions that there was no $300,000 transfer fee paid to the Bulldogs, with Canterbury more concerned about having Barba placed in a club where he would receive ongoing care.

Amazing..

Quoting this post to ensure that more people read it!

The more that comes out about this, the uglier it seems - and potentially moreso the coverup than the alleged incident... WTF!!

Well he will be in Brisbane next year so as far as the Broncos stand its important that we confront and handle this as of now.

For me this puts a big question mark over the credibility and integrity of the Bulldogs if they chose to disclose this to the media/NRL only after a deal was done and not 6 months ago when it happened.

Don't know why people are saying dogs brang this up. They didnt bring any of this up they kept it all behind closed doors and informed the broncos what going on before he signed. The info has now been leaked in the telegraph and bulldogs want NRL to investigate the article not barba. If you rea the article they hold high regards of the way broncos care for players that why they hand picked them for barba to sign with ..

If the Bulldogs have leaked this information to the press now it is a pretty weak and petty thing to do. but I don't get the fuss people are making about the Bulldogs 'covering up' the whole incident.

from what I've heard they were made aware of the situation, encouraged the alleged victim to go to the police and when that didn't happen they dealt with it internally. The fact that they didn't blab to the press isn't 'covering up' the incident.

Bringing it up after Barba leaves seem pretty pathetic but I don't see the problem with the supposed 'cover up'. of course I may be missing something

Not sure how I feel about the broncos signing him if they knew about this. Seems like a pretty big risk of embarrassment, not to mention they chose to sign a woman beater IF THIS IS TRUE. I'm sure they'll go for the "support and rehabilitation" angle though.

If the Bulldogs have leaked this information to the press now it is a pretty weak and petty thing to do. but I don't get the fuss people are making about the Bulldogs 'covering up' the whole incident.

from what I've heard they were made aware of the situation, encouraged the alleged victim to go to the police and when that didn't happen they dealt with it internally. The fact that they didn't blab to the press isn't 'covering up' the incident.

Bringing it up after Barba leaves seem pretty pathetic but I don't see the problem with the supposed 'cover up'. of course I may be missing something

but if they didn't inform the NRL, then that is covering up the incident ... and by reading that article, it looks like they didn't inform the NRL, if they did then why would they need to refer the matter to them now.

Canterbury cover up the story while they think Barba is still one of theirs. Cover up = keep it out of the media

Canterbury throw Barba to the wolves (media) when they subsequently leak the story knowing he's gone to another club.

There's not much to miss here to see how spiteful this is from the Scumdogs........

but if they didn't inform the NRL, then that is covering up the incident ... and by reading that article, it looks like they didn't inform the NRL, if they did then why would they need to refer the matter to them now.

fair enough, I didn't realise they needed to inform the NRL for issues like this. i had never heard of the NRL 'integrity unit' until yesterday.

Canterbury cover up the story while they think Barba is still one of theirs. Cover up = keep it out of the media

Canterbury throw Barba to the wolves (media) when they subsequently leak the story knowing he's gone to another club.

There's not much to miss here to see how spiteful this is from the Scumdogs........

yeah I agree it is spiteful, I just don't see how keeping it out of the media is 'covering it up'. domestic violence is a very delicate issue so I think it is better that it gets handled privately rather than being played out in the national media. I don't like the Bulldogs dragging this up now but I don't have much of a problem with them trying to deal with it quietly earlier on.

i think there is a difference between 'covering it up' (which kind of implies pretending it never happened, lying to police etc) and trying to deal with it without a media circus being involved. I think dealing with it away from the media is more sensitive to the alleged victim in the first place.

yeah I agree it is spiteful, I just don't see how keeping it out of the media is 'covering it up'. domestic violence is a very delicate issue so I think it is better that it gets handled privately rather than being played out in the national media. I don't like the Bulldogs dragging this up now but I don't have much of a problem with them trying to deal with it quietly earlier on.

i think there is a difference between 'covering it up' (which kind of implies pretending it never happened, lying to police etc) and trying to deal with it without a media circus being involved. I think dealing with it away from the media is more sensitive to the alleged victim in the first place.

Its not a matter of playing it out in the media is not covering it up, its the fact that 'apparently' the Bulldogs have only just informed the NRL Integrity Unit of the incident, some 5 or 6 mths after the incident has occurred. Hence, by not informing the NRL of the 'apparent' incident, they have covered it up. If this is indeed the case, it paints a negative portrayal of the Bulldogs, especially seeing as they now decide to disclose the allegations only when Barba has moved on to another club

Last edited:

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The True King
  • Mister Wright
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • jarro65
  • mitch222
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.