OFFICIAL: QLD MAROONS GAME 1 - TEAM

Re: QLD 2011

That's exactly how Queenslanders felt about seeing the New South Wales side on paper in the 90's.

I think I'd pick Kennedy instead of Petero. There I've said it, rip me to shreds. I love Petero. I always loved Petero. But times change and we all get old.

Prop Rotation

starting - Hannant and Scott ... bench Kennedy

I'd only pick 3 props cause i think Shillington is out of form ... they will pick him however

I think we have enough big men around to cover the extra prop ... Thaiday, Myles and Taylor.

The rest of the side picks itself although I can see Ash Harrison and Willie Tonga being extremely unlucky. Both have been very good for us last couple of years. Not sure about the balance with both Harrison and Johnson. Parker adds better balance.

Slater
Boyd
Hodges
Inglis
Yow Yeh
Lockyer
Thurston
Scott
Smith
Hannant
Thaiday
Myles
Johnson

Cronk
Taylor
Kennedy
Parker

Oink !

The Rock said:
Pigskin said:
I think I'd pick Kennedy instead of Petero. There I've said it, rip me to shreds. I love Petero. I always loved Petero. But times change and we all get old.

Prop Rotation

starting - Hannant and Scott ... bench Kennedy

I'd only pick 3 props cause i think Shillington is out of form ... they will pick him however

I think we have enough big men around to cover the extra prop ... Thaiday, Myles and Taylor.

The rest of the side picks itself although I can see Ash Harrison and Willie Tonga being extremely unlucky. Both have been very good for us last couple of years. I'd be very surprised if they picked both Harrison and Johnson.

Oink !

Kennedy instead of Petero? Serious? It's not like Civoniceva is in poor form or anything, he's been their only real decent forward (and only go forward they really have) at Penrith this year. He's also got a shit load of Origin experience and will never EVER let QLD down. Yet you want someone like Kennedy, who is still very raw, in front of him? Kennedy has played a handful of good games this season. Future front rower for sure, but not now.

Just giving my opinion, time to move on from Petero. Great man that he is. I too have watched many of his games and I think he is slowing down rapidly.

Clearly wasn't expecting anybody to read my post so fast ... was editing a bit.

Oink !

Sure. While we're at it let's play cherry Evans and Thompson in the halves to give them experience. Leave Locky and Thurston out, right? :-p

Coxy said:
Sure. While we're at it let's play cherry Evans and Thompson in the halves to give them experience. Leave Locky and Thurston out, right? :-p

And Kyle Stanley at fullback instead of Slater.

ps. I just said that because it's awesome that Kyle Stanley pledged allegiance to qld.

Really? I know he shunned the Kiwis but I thought he was NSW.

Jeba said:
Gonna be any surprises for game 1? I'd go for:

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Thaiday
12. Harrison
13. Johnson
--------------------
14. Cronk
15. Myles
16. Shillington
17. Taylor

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tonga
6. Lockyer (c)
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Thaiday
12. Harrison
13. Johnson

14. Cronk
15. Hannant
16. Myles
17. Taylor

Fixed.

I don't like the idea of Tonga on the wing. I don't mind playing outside backs out of position as long as they're adaptable like Boyd is. Tonga is purely a centre, and I think we'd be a lot better off playing a natural winger on the wing instead of a centre out of position

I'll probably get flamed for a couple of decisions in my team, but here goes...

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis (Hasn't set the world on fire for Souths, but will probably excel more in a team which is actually good. His left edge combination with Boyd has produced plenty of trys for us, no doubt they will keep up the trend this year)
4. Hodges (Has done enough to show he can play with the big boys again as far as I'm concerned. His inclusion will be good for his combination with Yow Yeh also.)
5. Yow Yeh (Jharal is playing some awesome footy at the moment. He is hungry for origin, very determined, but not arrogant. Put him in and he will be an excellent replacement for Folau)
6. Lockyer (His last year and he's getting back to his best as the season goes on. Lockyer will be itching to excel while he still has the chance. I would be very worried if I was Ricky Stuart right now - If Lockyer fires, NSW will be sitting ducks)
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civo (If he doesn't step down from rep footy this season, it won't be far off. He will want to go out with a bang, he's still goin strong for Penrith too.)
11. Thaiday
12. Myles (Thaiday and Myles to deal with the rough first 20 or so with Harrison coming on as relief)
13. Johnson

14. Barba (He's good enough and therefore old enough as far as I'm concerned. Cronk has had his taste of origin and knows what he'll be doing when he takes on the halfback role with Thurston at 5/8 next year. Barba looks like an awesome prospect. Lets give him a go and see if he can do a job as an impact player or cover for Slater if need be in the future.)
15. Harrison
16. Shillington
17. Taylor

18. Kennedy

I don't understand the fascination with having an "impact player" like Barba on the bench in Origin. Where does he play when he comes on? I wouldn't want him defending in the front line for starters and it would be silly to bench any of the halves, backs or Smith just to give him a run. We tried a similar tactic with Bowen and it hurt the team because we had to shuffle people around.

The difference with Cronk, and Berrigan from a few years ago, is that they are tough enough and capable of defending as backrowers - they can then float around the field and cover other positions if need be.

Yeah that's fair enough, now that I think about it Cronk should be the utility. For the reasons you pointed out ethos and nashy said when I was discussing this with him before, his combination with Slater and Smith is valuable as well. I'm just very keen to see what Barba could potentially do for Queensland I suppose.

So amended (Also replacing Shillington with Hannant after his performance tonight) that's:

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civo
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Johnson

14. Cronk
15. Harrison
16. Hannant
17. Taylor

Yeh Hannant jumped ahead of Shillington for mine as well.

But I don't see the point of playing Harrison off the bench. He is an 80 minute workhorse.

Jeba said:
Yeh Hannant jumped ahead of Shillington for mine as well.

..and now it looks like Shillington is out of the first two games with injury. Blessing in disguise? I haven't seen much of Canberra but apparently his form (not surprisingly really) has been quite ordinary.

1-7 = same old of course. --> Except replace Folau with YOW YEEEEEEH. Harsh for Tonga but I really think blooding Yow Yeh now would be GOLD. I think he would be fire.
8/9/10 - Scott / same old

11) Thaiday (look, Myles can start here but... it's THAIDAY... you need this bloke to just cause carnage)
12) Harrison
13) Johnson

14) Myles
15) Hannant
16) DT
17) Cronk

Active Now

• Foordy
  • KnToad
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Dash
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • leon.bott
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manofoneway
  • Strop
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • davidp
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • The Strapper
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.