[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
most likely ... but i think Macca should stay and play 14 to learn of the best hooker to ever play the game

I just can't see that happening ay, subbing in for smith who would be our captain, goal kicker and highest paid player. I'd definitely want him out there for the full 80. And we'll have Milford then too so nowhere for macca to slot

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Smith has played a lot of six in the World Cup and he has done it well, may not be a bad idea at all.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Macca won't play 14, he'll sulk and go to Canberra who will suddenly find breaking contracts ok.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'd love for him to come next year... The year after for 3 years? I don't know, my enthusiasm wanes a fair bit. Who knows what happens next year.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
We should take him for 3 years under the condition that he retires from rep football and focuses on the Broncos.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
We should take him for 3 years under the condition that he retires from rep football and focuses on the Broncos.

Perfect solution but I can't see him agreeing to it, especially with 2015 looming as our Decade of Dominance

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Perfect solution but I can't see him agreeing to it, especially with 2015 looming as our Decade of Dominance

Was just throwing it out there, he's too much of a competitor to retire from origin, especially while the streak is still alive.

Perhaps if Queensland lost next year it might be for the better, Hodges & Smith both retire from rep football and both focus entirely on winning a championship for the Broncos.. sounds good to me.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Asking him to retire is just wrong IMO. He's the captain and the most important player in the QLD side. When NSW players and fans see his name in the side, they pretty much realise right then and there that they are going to lose. He should be allowed to play as long as he wants.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Asking him to retire is just wrong IMO. He's the captain and the most important player in the QLD side. When NSW players and fans see his name in the side, they pretty much realise right then and there that they are going to lose. He should be allowed to play as long as he wants.

At the end of the day though if there is a suitable replacement and if it helps the Broncos performance as a club you gotta consider it

Has there been any updates on whether or not the NRL will bring in that Marquee player idea ?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
At the end of the day though if there is a suitable replacement and if it helps the Broncos performance as a club you gotta consider it

The thing is that there isn't one. Unless we can convince daylight to represent QLD. Jake Friend is QLD's next best hooker, and while he's an excellent player, he's far from Smith's level.

Besides, Broncos aren't going to be very popular if we make Smith retire from Origin (except maybe in NSW). I can't think of a time where a club convinced a player to retire from Origin either.

Has there been any updates on whether or not the NRL will bring in that Marquee player idea ?

Are they actually considering it? Haven't heard anything about it in years myself either.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
While I would welcome Smith to the club, an astronomical asking price is a stumbling block. There is no argument about his ability or what he could bring to the club. The question is, would the $1,500,000 he would cost over and above his worth as a player alone be justified ? If the Broncos as a business are able to afford that easily then I would grudgingly say, pay it. However, if it's a stretch we should not. Giving Smithy a retirement package should be Melbournes responsibility. I would favour an incremental deal totalling the three million odd. Give Smithy new goals, guard against complacency. Tie it to performance. Say, $500,000 year 1, $750,000 year 2, and the big carrot , $ 2,000,000 year three and probably the mantle of Highest Paid Player in the NRL.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
While I would welcome Smith to the club, an astronomical asking price is a stumbling block. There is no argument about his ability or what he could bring to the club. The question is, would the $1,500,000 he would cost over and above his worth as a player alone be justified ? If the Broncos as a business are able to afford that easily then I would grudgingly say, pay it. However, if it's a stretch we should not. Giving Smithy a retirement package should be Melbournes responsibility. I would favour an incremental deal totalling the three million odd. Give Smithy new goals, guard against complacency. Tie it to performance. Say, $500,000 year 1, $750,000 year 2, and the big carrot , $ 2,000,000 year three and probably the mantle of Highest Paid Player in the NRL.

I think the sponsors are going to cover a large part of that number should we sign him, can't see more than 700-800K going into the salary cap.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Tie it to performance. Say, $500,000 year 1, $750,000 year 2, and the big carrot , $ 2,000,000 year three and probably the mantle of Highest Paid Player in the NRL.

1385928898.jpg

I couldn't resist.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Are they actually considering it? Haven't heard anything about it in years myself either.

I'm not sure, I've just been hearing about it for months now, but nothing official
But damn that would be the perfect situation to get Smith in

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

I assume you mean the idea being floated of one player being completely exempt from the cap? that hasn't happened yet but here is the current allowance:

NRL Salary Cap - NRL.com

$550,000
Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player’s intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

Last edited:

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • kwomo
  • Organix
  • Gaz
  • thenry
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.