OFFICIAL ORIGIN: QLD WINS. HOORAY. NOW LET'S GET BACK TO THE FOOTY

Since we're coming into Origin season, we might like to think about how it's going to affect our playing roster and recovery time. Here is the schedule, and how it will impact us.

IMPACTROUNDDATEOPPONENT
Missing players17Sunday, July 10Dragons
Origin 3Wednesday, July 13
Backing up: 3 days18Saturday, July 16Titans

We have 2 remaining games to be affected by representative matches:

Dragons in Round 17
Broncos missing
Kurt Capewell
Corey Oates
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan
Tommy Flegler (replacement)

Dragons missing
Ben Hunt

Titans in Round 18
Broncos possibly resting
Corey Oates
Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan

Titans possibly resting
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

ORIGIN 3 SQUAD : QLD

Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Pat Carrigan
Corey Oates
Tommy Flegler (18th man)

NSW ORIGIN 3: NSW
No Broncos

Massive boost for Tonga: Staggs dropped by NSW.

While Freddy may be fickle, I believe he's ultimately named a better team. I thought Burton was unlucky to miss the series opener and I could see him having an even better game than Wighton did given his familiarity with Luai. As well as Wighton played, he did make a significant error late in the game which the Blues did really well to defend, I don't think Burton has that mistake in his game.

Staggs is hard done by, but I see that as an omission that the Crichton as a utility was a mistake. I think Freddy took the idea from Ivan back in 2020 when Stephen was just starting to make waves but Origin is a completely different standard and Freddy really struggled to find an opportunity for him. In the end, that was a fairly farcical moment where they had to make a big song and dance about Staggs' shoulder just to justify the interchange.

If Addo-Carr comes in for Tupou, I think that will make them a more lethal side and will force the Queensland defence to spread as JAC will burn Cobbo down that left-side (I'd imagine that's where he'll play, especially with the Burton combination). I think Angus will also offer more from the bench than Matterson who was miscast in his role. Angus is better at bending the line and can take a run on an edge if need be.

I don't think the rest of the selections matter that much. Api is a decent insurance policy in case Cook falters and the Blues find themselves needing points. Similar train of thought with Talakai who is just there to cover the backs if need be, otherwise he'll get a run in that 55-70 mark where you'd hopefully be on top. I've also heard Trbojevic being touted as a potential replacement. Freddy did kick up a huge stink about the ruck and if they wanted somebody to get down and dirty, Jake is that guy and he can also link up with Tedesco if need be.

Again, it's funny to see how shook the Blues are given how charmed they've been these past few series. However, the selections for Game I did appear to be indecisive and I think falling back on club combinations and proven performers is a good recipe. The only selection that's bit of a head-scratcher is Talakai in concert with Crichton but it shouldn't really factor in and it does offer more value than the Crichton at 14 selection.

Just saw on Facebook that Freddy is planning to pick Radley in his squad. I've missed a number of games recently, but when was the last time he played? It's been a while surely.

Edit: Hasn't played since Round 10 apparently

Just saw on Facebook that Freddy is planning to pick Radley in his squad. I've missed a number of games recently, but when was the last time he played? It's been a while surely.

Edit: Hasn't played since Round 10 apparently

Yeah but he's just such a 'good' player.

I know I'm probably being broncos-biased here but slater could do worse then giving kobe hethrington a run with cotter out.
Imagine hethrington coming on for 20-30 minutes to keep carrigan agile with hethrington just snapping *****, hard runner with great leg speed too. He'd be perfect.

I know I'm probably being broncos-biased here but slater could do worse then giving kobe hethrington a run with cotter out.
Imagine hethrington coming on for 20-30 minutes to keep carrigan agile with hethrington just snapping *****, hard runner with great leg speed too. He'd be perfect.

The issue there is that Cotter plays 80

JAC and Alex Johnston should've been picked on the wings to inject speed, height and finishing ability. Hook to'o and tupou.

No slight on Kobe - he's been great for us - but I think Jai has fairly pipped him for the bench spot. Certainly on paper.

No slight on Kobe - he's been great for us - but I think Jai has fairly pipped him for the bench spot. Certainly on paper.

Hard to compare, you get different things from them.

Kobe hits HARD in defence, has better tackle efficiency and in the heat of Origin could probably inflict some serious harm on someone - he literally broke Murray with one hit in our last game. He also is very quick to find his front in tackles. He is probably our closest middle to melbourne style, sacrifice 2-3 meters but get to your front fast and get a quick PTB.

Arrow brings a lot more experience and can play more minutes.

Arrow would of always been picked over Kobe, Arrow is one of the Middles that is a natural Lock/Prop like Carrigan and Tino so you cover more positions, Kobe is lock but size wise he is lacking for prop, even though Cotter is similar he can play significantly more minutes and is one of the best defenders out there.

I think Kobe needs to add a bit more size to his body in the off season and he will make sense for Origin next year.

Strong NZ team. Jordan and Te Maire named as reserves.

NZ

Anyone heard who's playing in Lebanon v Malta? No Broncos, I know that much.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Footy Fanatic
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • achievedrap
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Dazza 92
  • Bucking Beads
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.