Pathetic Sydney Roosters Crowds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
Big Pete said:
Given the Broncos were basically founded off the back of Origin I hope you can see why you are the minority.
No doubt and probably even worse on here with Origin nut Qlders. But win, lose or draw it is a big meh to me.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
u and lyon have something in common then

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
11000 tonight for Parra vs Manly - traditional rivals, quality teams, competitors for the top 4....pathetic sydney. just pathetic.

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
Coxy said:
11000 tonight for Parra vs Manly - traditional rivals, quality teams, competitors for the top 4....pathetic sydney. just pathetic.
Better than 6000 [icon_lol1.

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:

Maybe a new club or bar opened and everyone went there instead of the footy?

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Wonder what happens in Sydney when Johnny Ibrahim decides to close his nightclub for the night? It affects the nightlife AND The Tunnel is closed!!!

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
Even though 11000 is a poor crowd. Manly is the harder ground to get too than the SFS so atleast some fans tried, just not enough.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Look no matter which BS spin you want to put on it, Sydney crowds are pathetic, 11k for that game, any "blockbuster" type game for the Broncos almost always has a 40k+ crowd. Any crowds below 6k regardless of circumstances is also appaling and it's happened twice this year. Cronulla just barely scrape the 10k mark, can barely afford to pay their players another club holding the game back.

Rock you can spin it anyway you like, if we removed 2-3 shitty teams from Sydney and only the financially viable teams remained the competition would be infinitely better one reason being increased salary cap and the second being much better crowds which directly affects the bottom line.

Gold Coast gets a higher crowd average than any team in Sydney. Remove two shit teams from Sydney place one in sunshine coast or central coast and another in Perth to make the competition truly national which will help increase the TV deal by a fair margin. The net result of this will be a less saturated Sydney market which will increase the remaining clubs crowd attendances and the new teams will almost certainly have crowds about 6k so they can't be much worse but the benefits from the game from a TV perspective will no doubt be attractive.

You can not deny shitty Sydney clubs hold the game back, it's obvious as daylight. You might come back with the Gallop argument but either way Gallop or not it's Sydney clubs which are holding it back.

I also think all clubs should be privatized.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
The whole Rugby League world acknowledges that Brisbane is the home of Rugby League.

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
The Rock said:
It's funny that you guys look at the average home crowds and only 3 teams have poor crowds yet there are still 6 teams that are drawing very good crowds and you still can't hack it that Sydney is the heart of rugby league. I'm still trying to figure out when and how Brisbane became he heart of rugby league.
Personally if more fans don't get out to games. In less than 2 years, Queensland will become the heartland of the game, that is if it isn't already.

Look at some of the teams in NSW being run like a circus and we are happy with 10k crowds, that should not be the standard a Sydney team should be setting. We are setting the benchmark way too low and the worst thing of all, we are accepting it. Then making excuses for it not being higher - weather, traffic, blah blah blah.
The Rock said:
Hey Fltteryby Thanks for proving my point, you seemto think going to the footy on a Saturday night is way more fun and important than going out and enjoying Sydneys attractions, well maybe for you and any other boring person buy seriously, footy on a Saturday night totally sucks.
This is the thing I hate about this city the most. We have the greatest game of all. Usually being played atleast once in the city on the weekend. We all know the experience of being at the game is so much better than watching it on TV. Yet so many people would rather go to a club/pub and watch it there. I don't understand that logic.

You might have to start calling me boring from now on then. I can't think of anything better than going to the footy to cheer my team on any day of the week. If I am able to get to every Rabbitohs game so far this year, so should plenty of other Sydney siders. At least maket the effort to get to your teams home games. I even paid for a season ticket for a seat that I will never sit in this year.

I don't know if this is just me, but frankly I feel your image is slightly blurred because you support an out of state team. Supporting a team like the Broncos means you have at least 12 games a year in QLD. If you supported a NSW team you might only lose 6 games to an out of state team and that leaves 20 games in NSW/ACT.

That should leave no excuse for Sydney supporters to attend more games in bigger numbers than we are getting. The averages may be improving but no where near quick enough. Crowds no matter the day need to improve. Sundays are good for the game, have 3 games on Sunday to help bring in bigger crowds.

The major flaw the NRL has is the schedule is released 5 weeks (I think it is) in advance due to the TV ratings. If they set that in stone at the start of the season like the AFL do. It will help and let the families plan for the up coming season. Because at the moment we have a "ohh well, let's watch it on TV and stay at home" mindset because some families can't plan or are unable to change plans.

Another thing needs to be improved is ticketed memberships. The NRL has finally started pushing this year after PHAC and Russell went to Gallop and showed them how good the St Kilda system was working for us and how much money it was generating for little or no offset. I do understand the Broncos were doing it very well for some time but the NRL had done nothing about it.

Something needs to be done to Cronulla.

Their fans don't travel even too home games. They don't have any money, no assets and have major debts. They can hardly win, their ground is terrible even on a good day. Their clubs management is useless. They haven't won a premiership longer then Souths last one and people wanted to re kick Souths out for less. Either bring someone in to take over and buy out the company or fold them up and dissolve their juniors into the Dragons or the new team, if they relocate them to the Central Coast, Perth or even QLD.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Rocky.

You have no idea if a Sunday game would have had more people. You can only assume.
You have no idea if the train and road issues hurt the crowds that much. You can only assume.
You have no idea if going out is the reason people don't go to the footy. You can only assume.

Everything you have to say is over opinionated and bias. Nothing you can argue about can be taken seriously because you are so bias, you are only assuming, and you have openly stated in this thread that arguing about QLD vs NSW is great fun.

What does that proove? It prooves that even if everything that everyone else has to say could somehow make you agree, you will continue to argue your point anyway.

I remember many pages ago, we were talking about the Cowboys not getting Fridays or Mondays, so people could travel a fair distance to see them.

How you've somehow moved your argument to no Saturday night games in Sydney, because league 'fans' want to go out instead, doesn't make sense.

I dare you to go to page one and start reading some of the crap you've typed. Then give us a decent reason as to why the NRL should stop Saturday games in the ex-league heartland.

Before you fly off the handle to try and belittle what I've typed, because lets face it, you will, think about whether you feel that the nightlife is a good enough excuse to stop games.

I would also love for someone to tell me what is so different about Sydney's nightlife, and Brisbane's nightlife, that makes it so darn special to go out in Sydney.

You have more clubs, and more people. We have clubs, we have people. Everyone in both cities are doing the same thing when they go out. So using the nightlife argument is crap.

GO and read the shit you've typed. If you come back and truly agree with what you've typed, you're a deadset lunatic.

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I can't say that I've read every post in the latest Rocky sequel and I'm not going to get involved in the argument but here's my point of view. When I was in Sydney I loved going to the footy, but I loved being around my mates more than anything.

In Brisbane, it's quite likely that you're going to have a good portion of friends that support the Broncos too. Lots of company at the games. That's not often the case in Sydney. In my circle of friends, fans are spread out over so many teams it's not funny. When it came to making the decision to either go see a game with 2-3 other mates, or meet everyone at the pub and watch a couple of games on tv the latter won more times than not. Simple as that.
Sheep? Maybe. But we had good times.

By the way, don't ever bother bringing up poor crowds at Brookvale as an argument. McDonald's across the road has more parking than the stadium does. I don't know how it has survived as long as it has. I lived 20 mins drive up the road and didn't bother going there because it was a nightmare.

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Nashy said:
I would also love for someone to tell me what is so different about Sydney's nightlife, and Brisbane's nightlife, that makes it so darn special to go out in Sydney.
You have more clubs, and more people. We have clubs, we have people. Everyone in both cities are doing the same thing when they go out. So using the nightlife argument is crap.

[icon_lol1.

Not discounting anything else you've typed, but this is funny. Imagine using a comparison of Brisbane vs. New York. Everyone in both cities are doing the same thing when they go out!!!
Sydney obviously isn't quite on that scale, but Brisbane is probably one of the more boring "cities" I've been to. It is what it is. It's not trying to be anything bigger so there's no need to talk it up.

Do I need to provide my "I'm a Queenslander, I've lived in Brisbane, my Mum still lives there" disclaimer?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
guppy said:
I can't say that I've read every post in the latest Rocky sequel and I'm not going to get involved in the argument but here's my point of view. When I was in Sydney I loved going to the footy, but I loved being around my mates more than anything.

In Brisbane, it's quite likely that you're going to have a good portion of friends that support the Broncos too. Lots of company at the games. That's not often the case in Sydney. In my circle of friends, fans are spread out over so many teams it's not funny. When it came to making the decision to either go see a game with 2-3 other mates, or meet everyone at the pub and watch a couple of games on tv the latter won more times than not. Simple as that.
Sheep? Maybe. But we had good times.

By the way, don't ever bother bringing up poor crowds at Brookvale as an argument. McDonald's across the road has more parking than the stadium does. I don't know how it has survived as long as it has. I lived 20 mins drive up the road and didn't bother going there because it was a nightmare.

Suncorp and Skilled have no parking. No excuse.

Fair enough on the Brisbane and Sydney comparisons.

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Nashy said:
Suncorp and Skilled have no parking. No excuse.

The Northern Beaches don't have a rail service. None at all. The only way you can realistically go to the game is by taxi (fortune), car (park miles and miles away) or bus (I'd rather walk miles and miles.) Having caught Sydney buses past Brookvale for a few years, I can safely say they are simply not reliable or generally safe enough to take the family.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
THey don't put on special bus services in Sydney for the football?

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
They do to an extent.

At Brookvale, they'll put a few extra services at the bus stop outside. All heading North. Don't ask me what people wanting to go south/west do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • FACTHUNT
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  • Painin the Haas
  • Financeguy
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Alec
  • Fozz
  • Santa
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.